Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will irish networks be getting android?

• 05-11-2008 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

simple question.
    when will the irish networks be getting an android os phone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

from what i've heard, O2 will be the first in the irish market. no dates or prices though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Judging by how often they update their phones in their Irish stores, I'll make a guess at 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

i was told my a guy who works for tommys wonderland in blanch that 3 will have the htc dream early next yr..he was incharge of the phones section and seemed to know what he was talking bout..but them again it was tommys world of wonder or whatever that pound shop styled place is called..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Hmmm well o2 announced this week that it was just launching the Samsung i780. That's 10 months after it was released. For all but certain successes (iPhone N95, E71 BB Bold etc) Irish networks generally wait until either the price of the phone has dropped so they can buy cheaper, or until they've cleared old stocks. The HTC dream/Android has got very mixed reviews. Bloggers get bored writting about Apple, Nokia, RIM, WinMob... so they'd obviously talk up a new entraint, but I don't see that Irish operators will be in a big rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I asked in carphone warehouse, they said that the Irish market tends to be around 6 months behind the UK one. It goes sim-free next month for a ridiculous £599 (yes, pound) so we might see it then but as to when it will be released by a network, who knows.

O2 are the only network in Ireland that are part of the OHA, I'd be surprised if any other network released it before they did.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

OHA whats that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Walkman wrote: »
    OHA whats that?

Open handset alliance- if i'm not mistaken, the arrangement between google (android) and the various handset-manufacturers/operators deploying Android.
    ie HTC, samsung etc.
    IIRC nokia isn't among them which should make things interesting.
    More here:
    http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm currently doing y final year project on android and would love the opportunity to show what i've done on an Android handset.

Would be eternally gratefull to anyone in the mobil inustry if they could keep me updated with anything hat happens concerning Android being released on any of the irish networks

Advertisement