Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Grinds"?

Options
  • 06-11-2008 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone explain to me just what people mean, when they offer or request "grinds"? I didn't go through the Irish school system, so I never saw any of this before I came to UCD, but there seems to be a lot of it about. I might even be able to offer a "grind" or two, if I have a better idea of what is expected. :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

giving help to a student in a year below you on a particular subject. For example someone in first year spanish who is no good at grammar, might ask a second year student who is fluent to give them grinds. ie: help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

peanuthead wrote: »
    giving help to a student in a year below you on a particular subject.
    Oh - OK, thanks. I just thought that "grind" meant a specific teaching method that needs its own jargon, that's all. "Tutorial" might be a better word, since it describes what you actually do: tutoring.

It seems to be a UCD thing to throw jargon around without explanation, assuming everyone already knows exactly what is meant. At the end of last semester, we had SU people running around wanting us to vote for them as "sabbatical officers" - again without explaining what that meant, or what they actually did. :pac:

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

bnt wrote: »
    Oh - OK, thanks. I just thought that "grind" meant a specific teaching method that needs its own jargon, that's all. "Tutorial" might be a better word, since it describes what you actually do: tutoring.

It seems to be a UCD thing to throw jargon around without explanation, assuming everyone already knows exactly what is meant. At the end of last semester, we had SU people running around wanting us to vote for them as "sabbatical officers" - again without explaining what that meant, or what they actually did. :pac:

the word grind is used because what happens is you usually end up covering alot of material in a short space of time, so its like a crash revision course before exams. I agree that UCD can be a bit like that, but you will find the word grind is used alot, in particular with secondary school students who are looking for Junior Cert or Leaving Cert Grinds (the 2 state exams we do here in second level)

If you are in a position to offer any, do advertise, you may either get soe cash, or some help in return if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Thanks for the replies, all. Looking at the grinds file, however, it seems to be all post-graduates offering them, so I can hardly compete from 2Y.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

bnt wrote: »
    At the end of last semester, we had SU people running around wanting us to vote for them as "sabbatical officers" - again without explaining what that meant, or what they actually did. :pac:

Don't worry -- nobody knows what sabbatical officers do. We're pretty sure it's nothing though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement