Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks overkill in Blanchardstown S.C ??

Options
  • 06-11-2008 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭

I notice another Starbucks has opened in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre beside Mamma & Pappa, DID.
    Are Starbucks trying to set a world record for the most stores in the least sq?
    I think there are now 5 stores in the shopping centre complex:
    Leisureplex, beside Credit Union, UCI, Borders, beside Mammas & Pappas.

Is the coffee that good or a people just sheep to the hype?

*this poster doesn't like coffee and doesn't plan on starting**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

While I am a huge fan of starbucks coffee and the general vibe of their cafe's... it is an unreal amount of stores, but they must each be making enough revenue to justify their existence.

I've never seen one of them jammers though, which is strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Seems they want one in each section of the shopping centre.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

the one in the centre is manky dirty. I dont know what it is with them all but their 'hot' drinks are NEVER hot :mad:. . . I now go to insomnia!!! :D

Which one ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'm not a fan of starbucks (or any coffee shop really), but its easy to see why they're doing this. The profit margins in coffee shops in Ireland are astronomical, so much so that there are probably more coffe shops around than pubs now!! Everyone is trying to cash in on the willingness of Irish people to part with their hard earned cash for coffee and confectionery that look fantastic but taste bleh.
    If the recession were allegedly in really is a recession, most of these coffee shops will be gone in a years time.

Rant over.

• Advertisement

I don't mind there being more coffee shops then pubs but why to they all close so early.
    Why can't I go and sit for an hour and have coffee at 10:30pm ?
    Why don't they encourage people to have meetings and use the place for socail gatherings like they do in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

While I am a huge fan of starbucks coffee and the general vibe of their cafe's... it is an unreal amount of stores, but they must each be making enough revenue to justify their existence.

I've never seen one of them jammers though, which is strange.

Not strange in the slightest. It's a common Starbucks business practice they call clustering.
    Starbucks' policy is to drop "clusters" of outlets in urban areas already dotted with cafes and espresso bars. This strategy relies just as heavily on an economy of scale as Wal-Mart's does and the effect on competition is much the same. Since Starbucks is explicit about its desire to enter markets only where it can "become the leading retailer and brand of coffee," the company has concentrated its store-a-day growth in relatively few areas. Instead of opening a few stores in every city in the world, or even in North America, Starbucks waits until it can blitz an entire area and spread, to quote Globe and Mail columnist John Barber, "like head lice through a kindergarten." It's a highly aggressive strategy, and it involves something the company calls "cannibalization."

The idea is to saturate an area with stores until the coffee competition is so fierce that sales drop even in individual Starbucks outlets.

In 1993, for instance, when Starbucks had just 275 outlets concentrated in a few U.S. states, per-store sales increased by 19 percent from the previous year. By 1994, store sales growth was only 9 percent, in 1996 it dipped to 7 percent, and in 1997 Starbucks saw only a 5 percent sales growth; in new stores, it was as low as 3 percent. (See Table 6.3, Appendix, page 473).

Understandably, the closer the outlets get to each other, the more they begin to poach or "cannibalize" each other's clientele—even in hyper-caffeinated cities like Seattle and Vancouver people can only suck back so many lattes before they float into the Pacific.

Starbucks' 1995 annual report explains: "As part of its expansion strategy of clustering store in existing markets, Starbucks has experienced a certain level of cannibalization of existing stores by new stores as the store concentration has increased, but management believes such cannibalization has been justified by the incremental sales and return on new store investment." What that means is that while sale were slowing at individual stores, the total sales of all the chain's stores combined continued to rise—doubling, in fact, between 1995 and 1997. Put another way, Starbucks the company was expanding its market while its individual outlets were losing market share, largely to other Starbucks outlets (see Table 6.4, Appendix, page 473).

It also helped Starbucks, no doubt, that its cannibalization strategy preys not only on other Starbucks outlets but equally on its real competitors, independently run coffee shops and restaurants. And, unlike Starbucks, these lone businesses can only profit from one store at a time. The bottom line is that clustering, like big-boxing, is a competitive retail strategy that is only an option for a large chain that can afford to take a beating on individual store in order to reap a larger, long-term branding goal. It also explains why critics usually claim that companies like Starbucks' are preying on small businesses, while the chains themselves deny it, admitting only that they are expanding and creating new markets for their products. Both are true, but the chains' aggressive strategy of market expansion has the added bonus of simultaneously taking out competitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Had the same discussion with my wife a few weeks ago, it's a bit nuts considering there's relatively few around the rest of the city.
    Although I'm not a coffee drinker myself I do tend to drop in for a giant cup of their hot chocolate with caramel and a big pile of cream on top !

And scarily it looks like Walmart is buying into Dunnes Stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

That's just rumour and conjecture at this point. Depend on who you speak to it's Asda, Walmart directly, Sainsburys etc etc etc.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Which one ?

The new insomnia in erris square. its really really nice!! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Where's Erris Square?

I noticed when I was in Madrid last year that there were an unfeasibly large number of Starbucks in a relatively small area of the city. If it can work in a city like Madrid where you'd expect people to be a bit fussy about getting decent coffee, it's a sure fire winner here where people just seem to love brands, especially American ones. They've already opened two branches in the IFSC, which isn't that big an area to begin with. I don't drink coffee, so it really doesn't bother me too much tbh, other than a general dismay at how Ireland is becoming more and more like everywhere else in the developed world.

sorry Zaph. . should have said. . its the new block of houses on the left on the snugborough rd past the aquatic centre and if you come up waterville road its that new housing block up there. :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ah right, never really have any need to go up that way myself.

it's right beside work so its super handy. no need to go to westend anymore :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Cheers mod & almost mod :) for fixing that, I was just coming back from FAQ to fix it mesself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I don't mind there being more coffee shops then pubs but why to they all close so early.
    Why don't they encourage people to have meetings and use the place for socail gatherings like they do in other countries.
    Apparently it's in the constitution that all social gatherings must revolve around alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Yeah, it's pretty unreal the amount of them. Now we can finally appreciate that episode of the Simpsons where all the shops in a mall are turning into Starbucks. I think all these new stores are creating new coffee-drinkers because I would've never seen the potential market before. People love being consumers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

quank wrote: »
    Yeah, it's pretty unreal the amount of them. Now we can finally appreciate that episode of the Simpsons where all the shops in a mall are turning into Starbucks.
    Ha ha, you're right! The first time I saw that episode I didn't even know what Starbucks was! Think that episode dates from circa 1995...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

You don't mind more cofee shops than pubs??? Are you fit to be a moderator of Beer, Guts and Receeding Hairlines anymore?

Joking aside the late opening social thing for meetings could be good in certain areas. Would be a good idea for somebody thinking of starting up to mailshot local clubs and give them some reward like 20% off prices for meetings.

Starbucks is very expensive and not really worth it I think. I got a Mocha or some shoite with cream anyway in Dawson St and the bitch making it was spraying cream on the other guy there and pressing it into him before she put it in my coffee. Just left and would never go back to a dump with staff like that. Who knows what I could have caught off them? I could have ended up trying to speak with an American accent like all the staff there!!

I too would also like to say I'm dissapointed with the Americanisation of Ireland to this extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Keith186 wrote: »
    I too would also like to say I'm dissapointed with the Americanisation of Ireland to this extent.

+1 - Id say Starbucks coffee is the worst of any of the coffee chains with the exception of the coffee in O'Brien's and possibly Cafe Sol yet it somehow manages to do the best business of any of them. Im convinced that half of their customers aren't really coffee drinkers (or at least weren't until Starbucks opening in their area)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Though it eventually will happen I hope to hell Starbucks never comes to Galway

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Though it eventually will happen I hope to hell Starbucks never comes to Galway

Pffft,not likely! Even Cromwell wouldn't go there!
    :D

You don't mind more cofee shops than pubs??? Are you fit to be a moderator of Beer, Guts and Receeding Hairlines anymore?

More cafes and coffee shop that would also sell beer like what they have in holland, belguim, germany.

That way the bothers could have a doughnuts when ever they wanted as well as beer :P

I was glad to see the bald barrista is branching out, now that is a coffee premises I would love to see in blanch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

deswalsh wrote: »
    Pffft,not likely! Even Cromwell wouldn't go there!
    :D

LOL there's more to Galway then you think:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Joking aside the late opening social thing for meetings could be good in certain areas. Would be a good idea for somebody thinking of starting up to mailshot local clubs and give them some reward like 20% off prices for meetings.

One of the first Starbucks in Ireland (on College Green) used to open late, not sure if it still does. It used to be a great place if you were waiting for someone at night, having a coffee after a film etc., and didn't fancy going to a pub (basically the only other choice). This probably wouldn't work in Blanch S.C. as it's almost empty once the shops close, but maybe the new stand-alone cafe could try late opening.

The staff in the College Green branch were excellent too, but in the new cafes they aren't of the same standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

colly10 wrote: »
    +1 - Id say Starbucks coffee is the worst of any of the coffee chains with the exception of the coffee in O'Brien's and possibly Cafe Sol yet it somehow manages to do the best business of any of them. Im convinced that half of their customers aren't really coffee drinkers (or at least weren't until Starbucks opening in their area)

Look in any Starbucks and most of the people will be drinking very milky lattes, hot chocolate, foamy cream things etc. - basically everything that has the least amount of coffee.

OT, why are there so few places in the S.C. to get a decent, reasonably-priced lunch? O'Brien's make your sandwich on the spot, but most other places have prepacked stuff.

Advertisement