Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Plumbing query

Options
  • 06-11-2008 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Any problems with this layout? http://tinyurl.com/6lc8e6 Bypass to top up CH heating was added afterward, there was a problem with the closed valve on the CH, and there was no overflow from tank b, which has now been added. Previously the CH bypass was opened in error allowing tank b to overfill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Tank B shouldn't have a mains feed .

The water for tank B ,comes from tank A ,otherwise you get stagnation in Tank A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ok I didn't know that. Last time I looked I didn't think it was, but I think its been changed recently. Should the tanks always be fed from the top. Does being fed from the bottom also cause stagnation.

Is there a problem with a feed for the CH coming from tank b. In terms of the water in the CH shouldn't mix with that.

Theres nothing wrong with feeding the heating from the domestic water tank.
    As long as theres proper fittings used to stop the heating water passing back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

One way valves etc? What happens if it does get from the heating into the main water tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

BostonB wrote: »
    One way valves etc? What happens if it does get from the heating into the main water tank?

Ya wanna clean your teeth or wash your face in Fernox ? :D
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

JamesM wrote: »
    Ya wanna clean your teeth or wash your face in Fernox ? :D
    Jim.

Quite. Personally as an engineer I don't have a lot of confidence in low pressure non-return valves since I have seen too many of them getting stuck open with a bit of debris. I always use a separate mains supply and ball valve to the CH header tank. Then there is no possibility of cross contamination, since even apart from Fernox, washing your teeth in the dark brown contents of the heating system is not that attractive;)

Your not really suppose to leave the supply open all the time.
    The non-return valve is only suppose to stop water getting into the tank ,when the gate valve is open.

Very seldom will a non-return vavle leak. 3% Maybe ,over many years.

Advertisement