Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Sony Ericsson C905 review

• 06-11-2008 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Sorry for making it so long, got a bit carried away:o Bit of a life story...

I've had the SE c905 since last wednesday, was delighted to finally get my hands on it! Since I went from my Nokia 6680 to the SE k800i, I fell in love with SE. After a long and rewarding relationship with my k800i, fantastic pictures everytime, amazing flash, and the 4GB card made it even better for music and photos! The obvious step up after that for me was the k850i, but boy how I was disapointed with it. The xenon flash ruined night shots, quality on day time shot were fine, a bit of an improovement on the k800i, but nothing to rave about! The three touch sensitive buttons on the bottom of the screen were an absolute pain in the whole, but in time I became used to them. But the main advantage of upgrading to the k850i was that I could use the same memory card and keep all my files. And with the new media layout for ease of use, it should have been a lot more user friendly, but instead it was slow to react and slow to upload files, which is very iratating!

As well as these problems, the phone had a tendancy to freeze, turn itself off, and was slow in general to react to commands!

So with all this in mind, I was cautious of purchasing the C905, yet another SE phone packed with the infamous xenon flash, that ruined so many of my previous pictures! So I did a lot of research on the phone, reading review after review, endless amounts of demo footage on youtube, I finally made my mind up and said I'd buy it, as the k850i was annoying me at that stage!

First impressions, were that it was an extremely solid phone. I never owned a slide phone before, and wasn't too gone on the idea of it either! The slide was sturdy, but if it's open or closed, there is a little bit of play in the top section and can be pushed from side to side, a little bit irratating for someone like me, a fussy person, but barely noticable, maybe it was just the handset I received!?
    Also, I complained about the slow reacting times of the k850i when uploading files, this has no such problems, uploaded my 1gb of music with ease and in seconds. The media section has been improoved dramatically, same layout, but a lot more responsive!

When I was looking for a new phone, here were the things I was looking for;

Compact
    Not touch screen, I can't stand it personally!
    Large memory, for mp3's and photo's!
    WiFi
    GPS
    and the all important 8 megapixels!

This was because I am going traveling soon and require an mp3 player, digital camera, gps, and wifi all in one to keep me sane, and not have to carry/buy so many individual items! Ipod's/garmin's/camera's etc...

Compact:
    Even though the phone is getting a lot of bad publicity for being a chunky phone, I think this is a little bit unfair, as the phone is pretty much the same size as the K770i (just happens to be at hand for me to compare), but the k770i is slimmer, and the c905 has a larger depth, but it's not as bad as people seem to be making it sound. It still fits well in the hand, and it isn't cumbersome in the pocket what so ever. One problem is that when the phone is open and I am texting with on hand, it is a little bit awkard as the phone is very unbalanced when open!

Memory:
    Internal memory is shocking, something like 150mb, but the 2gb card that is supplied is handy, but isn't enough for someone like me who wants to take full advantage of it's features! Currently there is a 16gb m2 memory card available for around €65, but I think I'll wait until christmas for the 32gb card to be released, but either card option is a costly extra on top of an already expensive phone. When some of SE's competitors are offering 8gb's with their phones!

WiFi
    Having never owned a phone with WiFi, I was excited by this feature! Webpages don't come up as they do normally, but they're not as bad as I thought they would have been. I'm no expert on this matter, but I think the phone handles well with the fast internet connection. Only problem I could find is with this feature was that if you were using the c905 on its side, and wanted to type sonething in, it was a pain to put the phone upright, and slide down the keypad, quite annoying!

GPS
    Google maps is quite nifty. Basically like Google Earth, but smaller and more basic. Generally gets your location within 1klm if your out and about and have good signal, but in a bad area, or indoors, it either won't work or it could be maybe 5klms fromwhere you actually are!

I haven't given WayFinder a propper go yet, but from what I can see, it's only a very basic GPS, but that was to be expected. Must use this feature a little bit more to be able to give a fair review.

8 Megapixels
    The important bit atw last you say! Without a doubt in this world SE have put a lot more effort into the c905 camera. Night photo's that turned out too bright with the k850i, turn out crystal clear with the c905! THe face detection hasn't come into play too much, but does seem to work, mainly for group photo's (3+ people). Viewing the pictures on the computer, they have turned out very clear, even when very large! I'll post up pictures tomorrow to show, as pictures will give ye all a better idea of what the quality is like! Hard to explain, but so far I'm impressed!:cool:

But wait there's more! :p

Jaybird JB 200
    I've also been using the JB 200 wireless earphones since monday for listening to my mp3's/handsfree, and I have to say it complement's any A2DP phone! A must for anyone who listen's to music on the go using their phone! Worth every penny!

Anyway, I hope this gives people an idea of what the phone is like...

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Nice little review :)
    Personally, I'm sort of done with sliders after n95...they are just not for me...
    I've heard good things about the 905's built and you seem to confirm that.
    But what's with the gps? 3klm off with google maps? That's not right?!
    I live in the sticks and it's usually spot on with 20 - 30 ft!!! What's 'klm' in your book?
    Hey, lastly: could you post some pics? Maybe some taken with the c and the same with the k?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

how much was it?and did you buy it from vodafone,o2 etc?

Yeah, exactly, how much was it??

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Spillane

I got mine through a friend in hong kong, €420. But three are after getting the phone aswell and they have it for €379, which is even better again! Might have a simlock, I don't know, but that can always get sorted.

I'll get some pics up at the weekend, give me time to mess around with the two phones in the same pics.

By klms I mean kilometers. Sometimes it'll be correct within 500 meters, sometimes it could be ten times that! The wayfinder pin point your location perfect.

Another thing I meant to put in is that the battery life is after improoving aswell, I get three days use out of it at the moment, but I do turn my phone off at night, but this is compared to the k850i only able for two days with being turned off at night. This is with bluetooth on constantly for use with my jaybird, playing a few hours of music everyday, and general playing around with the camera etc. But, if I keep the WiFi on constantly, then the battery won't even last the day. Turned my phone on at about 9am last saturday, had the wifi on as I was in the greenglens in millstreet(wifi available) for the day and thought nothing more of having it on. But come 6pm it was gone dead, very disapointed by this!

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Joebloggs:37

Can you recommend a place or website to buy the JayBird ?
    Thank you in advance

• Advertisement

Can you recommend a place or website to buy the JayBird ?
    Thank you in advance

I bought mine off of the electrical king store on ebay for about €124. Purchased it on the friday and payed with paypal immediatly, got it last tuesday, good service and price. Expansys are €123 but charge another €12 for shipping, so I saved a small bit, nothing major though.

Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Spillane wrote: »
    I bought mine off of the electrical king store on ebay for about €124. Purchased it on the friday and payed with paypal immediatly, got it last tuesday, good service and price. Expansys are €123 but charge another €12 for shipping, so I saved a small bit, nothing major though.

Alan

that jaybird looks the business

are they comfy

are they heavey on the ear

and are they worth it

that jaybird looks the business

are they comfy

are they heavey on the ear

and are they worth it

To be honest, they're not as comfy as I had hoped, but this is more then lightly just me, as my ears are very small. After about an hour+ or so I do feel irratated by them. My brother has used them aswell, and has no complaints what so ever. I'm just unlucky with my damn ears I suppose!

As for weight, I don't find them heavy at all.

As for if they're worth it or not, I think so. I've used them for the gym and for driving mainly, and they're excellent, they don't budge during running or anything, but I keep them off my ears but around my neck while driving, and when my phone rings I put them on.

Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Spillane wrote: »
    To be honest, they're not as comfy as I had hoped, but this is more then lightly just me, as my ears are very small. After about an hour+ or so I do feel irratated by them. My brother has used them aswell, and has no complaints what so ever. I'm just unlucky with my damn ears I suppose!

As for weight, I don't find them heavy at all.

As for if they're worth it or not, I think so. I've used them for the gym and for driving mainly, and they're excellent, they don't budge during running or anything, but I keep them off my ears but around my neck while driving, and when my phone rings I put them on.

Alan

thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have a k850i at the moment and its a great phone,but i spilt tea on it last wk and although it works its been acting a bit wonky,id consider buying.battery is crap in the k850i also,only lasts 2 days :-/ less sumtimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

The "problem" with the K850's flash is not its function but its placement. If you're not careful you can inadvertently obscure its field of illumination when you're holding it. Once I figured this out it was fine. Unfortunately the touch buttons stopped working so I had to return it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have a k850i at the moment and its a great phone,but i spilt tea on it last wk and although it works its been acting a bit wonky,id consider buying.battery is crap in the k850i also,only lasts 2 days :-/ less sumtimes.

The quoted battery life for the k850i and C902 is practially the same. So either your phone is faulty or you are using it very heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Good review. Any idea if this is coming to Vodafone? What networks will be offering it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

do you need to be connected to the mobile internet to use the GPS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

irish-stew wrote: »
    do you need to be connected to the mobile internet to use the GPS?

You can turn off a-gps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Any chance of a sample raw video taken with this phone?

Advertisement