Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan. Midlands. Not North-east

Options
  • 06-11-2008 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Some tourism honcho was on Northern Sound a few days ago drooling over this rally and how it’ll give a huge boost in visitor numbers for Cavan and the north........west.

Yes, you read that right. As far as he’s concerned, Cavan is in the north west and that big tourism sign you see when you cross the border from Meath on the N3 confirms this. It sort of makes sense. Glangevlin is only a Leitrim away from the Atlantic Ocean.

Yet, here on boards.ie, we’re in the north east as we were when the health boards were in existence. After all, Shercock is well east of centre. Cavan is bang in the middle and is neither west nor east.

Only one thing for it. Why not join Longford, Westmeath etc. and declare ourselves a midland county? It'd be bye bye to Monaghan and Meath. But we can still be friends...... with Monaghan, I mean.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think back in the 70s and 80s, Cavan was unofficially part of the tourist "Lakelands" region, along with Monaghan, Longford, Roscommon, Westmeath, Offaly and Laois.

Now, officially, Cavan is part of the "Border" region which also has the far away county of Donegal - it really doesn't make sense as a functional region.

Personally, I would consider Cavan to be either in the North East, or perhaps the Northernmost Midlands county. The problem is Cavan's shape. Whilst most of Cavan is in a far north Midlands location, there is the bit that juts out towards the North West. It's a hard one to call, but Cavan is certainly not in the North West region, however that may be defined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

Yup. That pan-handle does set things askew a bit. It's the only thing we have in common with Florida - as far as I know.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Gadjodilo wrote: »
    Yup. That pan-handle does set things askew a bit. It's the only thing we have in common with Florida - as far as I know.

Well, Cavan and Florida also have lots and lots of lakes...Florida's probably being a bit more balmy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Well, Cavan and Florida also have lots and lots of lakes...Florida's probably being a bit more balmy.:D

True. And our pensioners wouldn't be quite as glamorous.

Our panhandle is much more panhandle-like though. Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

When the Regional boards were created, it was divided along the old Health Board regions, and then subdivided into the counties as boards grew.
    healthboardmap.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement