Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analysis of Eircom DSL Exchanges End 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 deadfolk

<Scrambles for the phone...>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭sleur

notime wrote: »
    Got a knock at the door last night from some person from Eircom "Broadband is now in your area...." Upgrade of Lemybrien exchange was completed end of last week and they are taking orders. I won't believe it until I actually get it up and working but maybe, just maybe....
    oh wow, the boggers of kilrossanty are gonna be rocking their DSL lines. finally, data connectively that's not 33kps might make trips home a bit more pleasurable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Still no sign of croom exchange being done.

Edit

Just got off the phone with Eircom. There has been a delay and they are "hopeful" that the exchange will be enabled the first quarter of 2009...

Looks like 2010 so.................................

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Anyone know if there's a list of Exchanges due to be upgraded in 2009 being published? I live in Macroom (approx. 6,000 people) & while they love to tell everyone that the town has broadband, the fact is that only about 1/2 the town does as the other half is served by a different exchange (Clondrohid).

I own a business in the town & have recieved several gaurantees that the exchange will be upgraded but like everyone else have see nothing happen. I spoke to a local Eircom guy at one stage about the situation & his exact words were.... "the only way that exchange will ever be changed is if someone drives into it" (god, I'm tempted).

squire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This exchange is called " Macroom West " and was to be done last year . Given how leaky the 2008 schedule was I would not say anything more specific . The 1901 droids have no info on any Clondrohid exchange .

Ask straight out in the BB forum and if you get private info by PM then keep it that way .

see

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

squire23 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a list of Exchanges due to be upgraded in 2009 being published? I live in Macroom (approx. 6,000 people) & while they love to tell everyone that the town has broadband, the fact is that only about 1/2 the town does as the other half is served by a different exchange (Clondrohid).

I own a business in the town & have recieved several gaurantees that the exchange will be upgraded but like everyone else have see nothing happen. I spoke to a local Eircom guy at one stage about the situation & his exact words were.... "the only way that exchange will ever be changed is if someone drives into it" (god, I'm tempted).

squire

www.broadbandatoz.ie

Select Cork from the list.
    Macroom West is listed to be done before the end of 2009 but Clondrohid isn't listed at all. I presume they are the same exchange though.

^ Thanks for the info lads. It seems that Macroom West is the Clondrohid exchange. maybe something will happen in the 1st 6 months of this years given it was scheduled for last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Any chance IO can get info off eircom on which exchanges are priority for the first 6 months of the year (even if its 3 months planned but ends up being 6 months and they say its 6 months, it might appease people).

Its kind of in their interest to give this info since people may wait to get a phone line/broadband from them instead of looking for wireless alternatives. If put to them like that they might be more co-operative although probably not :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 squealster

squire23 wrote: »
    ^ Thanks for the info lads. It seems that Macroom West is the Clondrohid exchange. maybe something will happen in the 1st 6 months of this years given it was scheduled for last year
    Heard yesterday from Eircom that Macroom West is due before March 2009. Good news but I'll believe it when it happens!

squealster wrote: »
    Heard yesterday from Eircom that Macroom West is due before March 2009. Good news but I'll believe it when it happens!
    How did you get that info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

How do I find out which exchange my line is on? My new house is between two - one is due for this year, the other isn't planned for upgrade. I'm in Co Sligo, 071 9196*** (not gonna post full number obviously, hope that's enough to figure out exchange.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Put your number into the Smart line checker.
    www.smarttelecom.ie

The Smart Line checker does not have number blocks issued post 2004 of which there are many , BT is a tad more up to date but still not bang on .

There are a number of newish eircom exchanges in Sligo which is good news , mainly girdled around Lough Gill in places like calry and ballygawley and ballintogher. If eircom won't tell you where you are connected I certainly cannot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jbgt2

Let's be honest this is a typical example of the services offered in Ireland. Rating is from Slow to Slower just like the council services. I have been waiting for over 2 yrs for a BB service to be setup in the area and of course all there is from Eircom is the same excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kaezee

i heard from a town source that it will be on mid february so march sounds about right. fingers, toes, arms, ankles and ears crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

kaezee wrote: »
    i heard from a town source that it will be on mid february so march sounds about right. fingers, toes, arms, ankles and ears crossed.

What town is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kaezee

following on from the previous posts the area is macroom west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jbgt2

Anybody have any update of this exchange upgrade for broadband?

I spoke to an eircom engineer that said the hardware was installed in December 08 but has not yet been wired.

Eircom suck :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭scotsmarc

Anyone any idea when Ballycumber exchange will be upgraded? Still no word from Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 squealster

Woohooo! My line in West Macroom just passed DSL-enabled test!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

I got a email from Eircom yesterday stateing that nothing will be done with the Bohola exchange in county Mayo until at least July or September.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

I contacted eircom through the broadbandatoz.ie site about enabling my local exchange in Glenbeigh, Co.Kerry. This was about 6 weeks ago and they said the plan is to have the exchange enabled between April and June this year. I'm not getting my hopes up though because I remember this exact time 2 years ago there was a big article in one of the local papers announcing plans to enable the exchange! Plus after hearing recently that Eircom wont be meeting their projected 2010 deadline for having all exchanges enabled its made me even less hopefully.
    But just a couple of days ago we had a BT sales rep land to the door trying to sell use DSL packages. I wasnt at home to quiz her about it, but I'm just wondering should I take this as a good sign about enabling of the exchange? I'm thinking that either the exchange is about to be enabled and BT are trying to get in early to secure some new customers, or else she just didn't have a clue what she was doing!
    Any thoughts?

BT can complete the line rental migration now thereby only leaving the DSL enabling later . I see no issues with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    BT can complete the line rental migration now thereby only leaving the DSL enabling later . I see no issues with it .

I have no real issues either, although I do think it is slightly misleading, their sales pitch is that they can offer broadband to the customer, yet broadband is not yet available in the area. I've spoken to 2 other people who were left with the impression they could get broadband immediately, one who actually signed up. I think this is misleading.

Any who, my wonder was if we should take this as a sign that the exchange will infact be enabled quite soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Is it true that BT is pulling out of Residential Broadband? If so it's even more misleading.

Is there a wisp in your area; I'm with one and their service is excellent and Eircom only seem to interested in coming to areas where there is competition. I really can't fault my wisp, I only wish it was faster but it is better than been stuck on dial-up.

Frankly anybody over 5km from their exchange ( 3miles) will usually get a better service from a Wireless provider than a Wired provider . There are more people like that in rural areas .

Friend who works for wisp claims anything up to 25km with wimax which they're trialing.

Anyone any idea when Bohola exchange in county Mayo will be upgraded? Still no word from Eircom. Email from broadbandatoz claimed it will be sorted July/Sept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Galen wrote: »
    Anyone any idea when Bohola exchange in county Mayo will be upgraded? Still no word from Eircom. Email from broadbandatoz claimed it will be sorted July/Sept.

From what i was told it will be August/September at the earliest.

Advertisement