Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tax file number

Options
  • 06-11-2008 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

i've just tried applying for one of these through the australian government website. an error has come up saying that i need to be in australia to get one. is there no way that i can get one before i go away (preferably not through usit or visafirst dont wanna have anything to do with them!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye ya'll need an oz address to apply on the australian revenue site.
    you can work for a month without one, without being charged emergency tax so ur fine. apply when ya get over here, takes a month to get, maybe less.

i got mine thru visafirst. i was travelling so said i wouldnt be able to pick it up, so they got it for me and emailed it to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭smellybiker

WOGGET wrote: »
    i've just tried applying for one of these through the australian government website. an error has come up saying that i need to be in australia to get one. is there no way that i can get one before i go away (preferably not through usit or visafirst dont wanna have anything to do with them!)

is there a reason why you don't want to deal with visafirst? i'm getting my visa from them and my tri number!! anything i need to watch out for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 WOGGET

no there's no reason at all really its just that you can do everything yourself and save a few quid. i've got all my own flights, insurance, visa, etc without going near them and saved myself a few quid!!

the_b_man, cheers for the quick reply. thats good to know then. i think ill wait until im in oz then. landing just before xmas so wont be working for the first few weeks anyways!

ye thats what most ppl do. i landed end of july and didnt get a job until october! I had my TFN since august tho, but my mates only got theirs in the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

don't bother with visa first ... you can do all this while in Aus, to open a bank account takes about 1hr, to get a TFN takes a few days probably quicker to get a TFN than a job

visafirst are a rip off, save yourself some beer money by doing it yourself

• Advertisement

My mates applied for the TFN while over here. They went to the tax office while in brisbane. the guy there said a month. A month later, they got their TFN.

Advertisement