Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a 3 hour shift for part time legal?

Options
  • 06-11-2008 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Hoping someone can help me with this

I am getting 3-hour shifts instead of the usual 4 hours that I would normally get in a weekday. Is this legal because the staff in work are saying its not allowed?

I work in a big retail shop, im part time and my normal 4 to 8 hour shifts have been cut down to 3 hours on some days. Normally I would work 6pm to 10pm for a weekday but now its 6pm to 9pm which I find a complete waste of time and would rather have more hours or a extra day off as other part time staff are getting

I checked my contract and it doesn’t mention minimum hours for a shift in a day, just that I should get at least 15 hours in a week, which is the amount im getting

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Perfectly legal. If you're getting the hours specified in your contract, then you can either put up with it or leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 greendevil8

may be incorrect depending on your contract and over how many days you are actually contracted to work, can you pm me and give me more details and I will check it out for you, which company is it btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I checked my contract and it doesn’t mention minimum hours for a shift in a day, just that I should get at least 15 hours in a week, which is the amount im getting

You answered your question yourself!

Tbh, with the state the retail sector is in at the moment, I'd be happy you're still getting your 15 hours at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes of course it is, it's just fairly pointless. Store hours were reduced in my store for 2 weeks, they've been brought up because grocery were losing lots of money from the early closing. Anyway, the part-time shifts during that time were 5-7.30, or 4.30 if you were lucky. 15 hour contract..it sounds like you work for Dunnes, like me. Some of the part-timers are getting below this, but I'm not, I'm on 21 hours, usually 25ish.

Advertisement