Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal abuse?

Options
  • 06-11-2008 3:23am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is telling someone to "get a clue" in those exact words considered personal abuse?
    Also Arguing your case in a "passive-aggresive" manner?

I seem to have recieved a warning based on those 2 aforementioned criteria.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think a lot has to do with context so seeing the posts might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Fight the powah!
    Even mods are giving out about modding! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Links please.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

seems like you were overly agreesive and ignorant to me, ending that rant with 'get a clue' is not far off 'idiot' imo...

juming straight into feedback seems to indicate you aren't being rational about the whole thing either.

No I don't see it as personal abuse as you said it in the context of the post and not the poster themselves. If you had of said "Get a clue you feckin knob jockey" then that would be the personal abuse.

That's just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

It's only a verbal warning. No biggie, is it?

sure, ye're having a little bitch fight, but i fail to see how that can be seriously considered as personal abuse?

aye I'm frothing at the mouth, but as a mod myself, when in the board I mod, I don't partake in finger wagging if you break a rule you're banned if you don't break a rule you are not banned. I thank you for your opinion copacetic and if that is the general consensus I will obviously accept that.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No I don't see it as personal abuse as you said it in the context of the post and not the poster themselves. If you had of said "Get a clue you feckin knob jockey" then that would be the personal abuse.

That's just my opinion though.

cheers for the response. :pac:
    nevf wrote: »
    It's only a verbal warning. No biggie, is it?

sure, ye're having a little bitch fight, but i fail to see how that can be seriously considered as personal abuse?

Aye again you're correct and no it isn't a big deal, and I probably shouldn't bother with this. However I don't believe in taking a warning be it a site ban or the smallest little warning without there being a reason. I also don't believe in mods abusing power in a argument/conversation. Again response appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mayordenis wrote: »
    aye I'm frothing at the mouth, but as a mod myself, when in the board I mod, I don't partake in finger wagging if you break a rule you're banned if you don't break a rule you are not banned. I thank you for your opinion copacetic and if that is the general consensus I will obviously accept that.

I'm not saying my opinion will be, just that the pair of you appear 'het up' about something and adding that 'get a clue' was a bit much imo.

Certainly not ban worthy but personally I'd warn someone to cop on if they said it to another poster. If they said it to me i'd ignore it and get them later when they weren't expecting it..

copacetic wrote: »
    I'm not saying my opinion will be, just that the pair of you appear 'het up' about something and adding that 'get a clue' was a bit much imo.

Certainly not ban worthy but personally I'd warn someone to cop on if they said it to another poster. If they said it to me i'd ignore it and get them later when they weren't expecting it..

Aye again completely understandable copacetic,
    Maybe my opinion of the rules are far too black and white, and that saying something like "get a clue" is a bit of a grey area as it's hard to see it as personal abuse,
    and apparently not overly acceptable in an argument either.

*yawn*
    World of Warcraft?? Why dont all of you get a clue?
    How are you gonna meet a nice girl if you have constantly got your face stuck up the bum of a little man on your computer screen?
    Go to bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Fight the powah!
    Even mods are giving out about modding! :D:D:D

Obligatory "mods are regular users outside of the forums they mod" response

From reading the first of your posts on that thread it does seem to me you were pretty aggressive, swearing at someone in the first line of your response and then closing your arguement with "get a clue" seems a bit harsh imo

orestes wrote: »
    Obligatory "mods are regular users outside of the forums they mod" response
    Obligatory "freedom of speech" question?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It did seem a little aggresive. A ban would have been harsh though. A watch it/calm down/careful now style warning wouldn't be out of place for something like that though. Saying that I probably would have just left it unless you were at it a few times in the thread.

*yawn*
    World of Warcraft?? Why dont all of you get a clue?
    How are you gonna meet a nice girl if you have constantly got your face stuck up the bum of a little man on your computer screen?
    Go to bed!

lol in work so can't go to bed.
    girlfriend is in my bed.

Anyway i'm appreciating the responses guys, when did being aggresive become against the rules though?
    I like a healthy debate people getting angry is ok in my books, there's a line and it shouldn't be crossed.

Obligatory "freedom of speech" question?

Obligatory "boards.ie is privately owned and offers no freedom of speech" response.

Obligatory "we should all use Obligatory at the start of any response even when it's actually obligatory" joke response

Obligatory "backseat modding - stay on topic" busybody demand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Personally I dont think you did anything wrong.

I mean come on! The two of you are arguing over WoW, actually worse you are arguing over the launch of the expansion. I hardly consider insulting someone's knowledge of that to fall under "personal abuse".

Can we not have arguments here anymore? Is everyone so sensitive that saying someone doesn't have a clue about how the release of the new warcraft (or whatever, I couldn't follow half of what you guys were on about) they file a personal abuse complaint?

I would hate to see this chap arguing this point in a bar. Granted if you had used really inflammatory remarks and insulted his dog/mother you should get a paddling, but once again, come on!

Anyway, bed time!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Personally I dont think you did anything wrong.

I mean come on! The two of you are arguing over WoW, actually worse you are arguing over the launch of the expansion. I hardly consider insulting someone's knowledge of that to fall under "personal abuse".

Can we not have arguments here anymore? Is everyone so sensitive that saying someone doesn't have a clue about how the release of the new warcraft (or whatever, I couldn't follow half of what you guys were on about) they file a personal abuse complaint?

I would hate to see this chap arguing this point in a bar. Granted if you had used really inflammatory remarks and insulted his dog/mother you should get a paddling, but once again, come on!

Anyway, bed time!

Adopts nerd voice* - They are talking about the new gremlock power axe add-on for the gorbinstien goblins!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

This 'personal abuse' line gets thrown around and over used at times on Boards.
    People need to get a thicker skin and not complain about playground antics.

I appear to be out of thanks so a +1 to the above will have to suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

lol in work so can't go to bed.
    girlfriend is in my bed.

Anyway i'm appreciating the responses guys, when did being aggresive become against the rules though?
    I like a healthy debate people getting angry is ok in my books, there's a line and it shouldn't be crossed.
    So you play WoW and you have a girlfriend sleeping in your bed

.....good lord :pac:

Overheal wrote: »
    So you play WoW and you have a girlfriend sleeping in your bed

.....good lord :pac:
    Yeah, something dosnt add up!

Hello overheels!

Again you guys have a reading issue,(im not calling your guys illiterate as that would be personal abuse)

I was in work which is why I can't go to bed which is what Man yoo 4 lyfe himself wants,
    and he asked how I'm going to meet a girl, well I was just saying it doesn't matter how I meet girls because I'm not allowed talk to new girls anymore. Whipcrack and all that.

but your little digs are wasteful.

Just for clarity
    im in WORK not in WOW.

Bed would beat wow and does.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Listen, we all know Gold Farming FEELS like work but dont lay your hangups on me, man.

It didnt sound like abuse. But that reading bit - why tempt fate?

Again you guys have a reading issue,(im not calling your guys illiterate as that would be personal abuse)

I was in work which is why I can't go to bed which is what Man yoo 4 lyfe himself wants,
    and he asked how I'm going to meet a girl, well I was just saying it doesn't matter how I meet girls because I'm not allowed talk to new girls anymore. Whipcrack and all that.

Just for clarity
    im in WORK not in WOW.

Get a clue man!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Just for clarity
    im in WORK not in WOW.

Rabies wrote: »
    This 'personal abuse' line gets thrown around and over used at times on Boards.

People need to get a thicker skin and not complain about playground antics.

>_>

Oh, a butterfly!!

/wanders off

Advertisement