Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk's Off the ball show

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ken's emotional ramblings on New Zealand radio regarding the upcoming rugby match (replayed clips last night on show) were very funny. Possibly high-lighting very well why some people do like him (people like me) and people don't (others).

It is odd though how/why people would sign up to Boards just to defend him. And I think it was righty by those to question the authenticity of such posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Well its not a dastardly conspiracy by "Off the ball" insiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You have to admit though that three new accounts defending the same guy in the same thread is a bit suss!

Yeah, fair enough, but it ain't the case all the same!

For the record I'm a big fan of Ken's. Wrecks my head that the football show is no longer on Friday.

And I totally agree with Lunar junkie, "American Murph" is worth listening to even though i don't have that much interest in US sports.

Bring him back to Friday too, dammit.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind reducing "Off the ball "to 4 nights and creating "off the ball extra " - just doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭mountain

regardless of how many people want to stand up for Ken,

the only sports show worth listening to is "this sporting life" on JJJ in australia,
    down load a podcast from itunes and have a listen, while mostly about australian sports, with some references to "the world game", the humour is great

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

mountain wrote: »
    regardless of how many people want to stand up for Ken,

the only sports show worth listening to is "this sporting life" on JJJ in australia,
    down load a podcast from itunes and have a listen, while mostly about australian sports, with some references to "the world game", the humour is great

Thats not much good if you are not into australian sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭mountain

its for the humour, not always the sport, have a listen...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭charlesodowd

Ken Early is one of the most talented radio presenters around and we are very lucky to have him.

Im sure that due to his popularity he has had offers from other more mainstream radio stations and im just glad he sticks with newstalk.

On a completely different note would anyone agree that the dude that sometimes fills in for Eoin Mcdevitt, his name might be Gerry Thornley?, is the most annoying idiot that ever lived? Hs knowledge seems only to revolve around munster rugby and his accent is sooooooo annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Hi Ken :pac:

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ken Early is one of the most talented radio presenters around and we are very lucky to have him.

Im sure that due to his popularity he has had offers from other more mainstream radio stations and im just glad he sticks with newstalk.

On a completely different note would anyone agree that the dude that sometimes fills in for Eoin Mcdevitt, his name might be Gerry Thornley?, is the most annoying idiot that ever lived? Hs knowledge seems only to revolve around munster rugby and his accent is sooooooo annoying

Gerry Thornley is the Rugby expert they have on most weeks - works for The Irish Times i think.

I think you're talking about Gerry O'Sullivan - he normally does the Saturday and Sunday sports shows - thick Kerry accent. I think he's pretty good on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

I've listened to him now for a few years, I now listen a lot less frequently than I used to, however all I see is a guy who trawls fans forum sites for his stories, that is just lazy journalism in my view

What brings Ken Early and the whole O.T.B. show up is the guests they have on it.

That however to me is an indication of how much pull Denis O'Leary has rather than it being a reflection of how good Ken Early is

I happen to think Early is actually quite poor and someone like him having a job like that is a reflection of the general malaise there is in Irish Journalism.

Newstalk is the Sun/Mirror/Star of radio stations, and in that regard you will always get listeners if you appeal to thelowest common dominator

Early is not worthy of a promotion to anyother braodcaster, well not in my opinion anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That's a good point there..... Bioll.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Profiler wrote: »
    That however to me is an indication of how much pull Denis O'Leary has rather than it being a reflection of how good Ken Early is

Denis O'Brien maybe :confused:

And I hardly think that a guest will only come on the show in the hope that good aul Dinny might throw them a bob, or recognise them??

O'Brien is off having the laugh in the Carribean.

The guests on the show are a reflection on the PPI awards they've won, the general reputation that the show carries, the good work of the producers and most importantly the contacts book that someone on the team has in his/her pocket.

More mainsteam stations? Maybe he could do a stint with Today FM for their live premiership games, but that'd provide him with 1 or 2 days work.

They'd hardly intoduce a football show into RTE's schedule, and unfortunately due to Ken's experience/expertise he would need to have a dedicated slot.

While I do think that he's good, I think Newstalk is the only place for him at the moment as its the only format which allows him 4 (used to be more) hours a week on air. I don't think that other stations will be clamouring to get him, unless the likes of Spin 103.8 want a late night love jock ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

OTB is the only show that saves Newstalk- the station really is a total load of **** at the moment.

As good a show it is I would have a few complaints,

Eoin McDevitt is a very very good presenter but, he does have the tendency to be way too nice and polite to his guests- I know its a very minor thing but tone down a little bit.

Re: Ken Eary- he fits the bill and he works very well within the team dynamic but as mentioned he's not the best pundit, his football knowledge isn't great and he's totally out of his depth in comparison to other pundits/ stations! Its as if his gets his storied 100% out of the tabloids- I often think McDevitt know just as much if not more about football!

Get that Murph ****er on the first train out of Dublin- muppet

• Advertisement

Ken Early's newsround isn't meant to be taken seriously - it's a piss take. You either find it funny or you don't . The rest of the Football show has good contributors of which Eoin and Ken are good interviewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Have to say in all seriousness I think they are all a bunch of jerks.

Fair enough. But for a show with relatively small listemersip ,around 30,000, its consistently high in the ipod download charts - higher than shows with 10 times as many listeners - it has a loyal following. And given how few people post on this forum - its hardly a fair reflection of the great unwashed.

Off the ball is great but I feel its gone downhill big time since it went to 4 days a week,I used to love Fridays but they seem to be rushing it all in on a Thursday and it just does not feel the same.I have found myself not tuning in as much these days.

"off the ball" according to the latest JNLR fiquires is the no.1 national programme in the 7-10 timeslot.

• Advertisement

deadhead13 wrote: »
    "off the ball" according to the latest JNLR fiquires is the no.1 national programme in the 7-10 timeslot.

Thats good news,now if they would just bring back the Friday show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Ken Early cant be that bad,he has been picked as James Richardson's standin on football weekly next week while Jimbo takes a break.

Early knows his stuff but not as much as he thinks.Did anyone hear Gabriel Marcotti and Graham Hunter tear him apart a while back.All Mcdevitt could do when it was over was laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 john77

Dub13 wrote: »
    Thats good news,now if they would just bring back the Friday show.

Yeah, can't understand why they went to four days a week, it's the best thing on that station and they give us less of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

but they like sarcastic man from the marywhithouse experience, you never know when they are being serious.

nice use of the phrase '****** in a woodpile' by one of their gaa pundits tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

raven136 wrote: »
    Ken Early cant be that bad,he has been picked as James Richardson's standin on football weekly next week while Jimbo takes a break.

Early knows his stuff but not as much as he thinks.Did anyone hear Gabriel Marcotti and Graham Hunter tear him apart a while back.All Mcdevitt could do when it was over was laugh.

What was that over?

What was that over?

one of them was over zlatan ibramovich and Early ridiculing him,doesnt do it at the top level etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

raven136 wrote: »

Any idea when that was? Wouldn't mind downloading that one!
    HE also used to take the piss out of Totti, was funny when he won the golden boot! Also he ridiculed Berbatov, when spurs signed him he said "he's like peter crouch but slower"! He gets it wrong a lot alright! But still funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Im a big fan, Its a good alterntive to watching crap tv shows in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

OTB > Fair City :pac:

Quint wrote: »
    Any idea when that was? Wouldn't mind downloading that one!
    HE also used to take the piss out of Totti, was funny when he won the golden boot! Also he ridiculed Berbatov, when spurs signed him he said "he's like peter crouch but slower"! He gets it wrong a lot alright! But still funny

Ken was having a go at Reberto Mancini the week liverpool knocked inter out of the CL - but unbeknow to Ken, Marcotti is an inter milan fan.

And last tuesday after Brazil beat Italy, another touchy subject for Marcotti, they had a slight disagreement about Dossena.

• Advertisement

Marcotti is class,takes no ****e from anyone. With his big gruff american/Italian accent you would think he knows very little but is one of the best around on european football.
    He owns Early thats for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Deedsie wrote: »
    Im a big fan, Its a good alterntive to watching crap tv shows in the evening.

True. Apart from maybe the Simpsons the tv shows between 7 and 9 on the terrestial channels are for fat middle aged women. And their bitch slapped husbands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

They have some good pundits on it. McDevitt is a good presenter. Early I can take in small doses. I change channels when Murph comes on. The man's lisp wrecks my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 aierlan1000

Can't be easy to keep a three hour show, five nights a week fresh and appealing but I think they are doing a great job overall. They've reinvented sports broadcasting on Irish radio at least. They are streets ahead of rte which is way too conservative. Ken's reasoning is often flawed which can be annoying if you're listening to him but overall there is a good tempo to the show and brilliant contributors.

<snip: blog pimp removed>

There decision to go 4 days a week is a disgrace IMO,Friday is the biggest build up night in sport with most of the action happening over the weekend.They should have cut Monday night instead.

Off the ball extra is not the same I just don't tune in.

This Friday night they will be missing out on...

The Champions League draw,they will not get to talk about this ontill Monday when it will be old news.

The rugby,the build up to one of the biggest days in Irish Rugby history and the lads will be at home.Its just not the same doing it on Thursday night.

The Build up to the Dunne world title fight,again a huge day in Irish sporting history and the lads will be at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Dub13 wrote: »
    There decision to go 4 days a week is a disgrace IMO,Friday is the biggest build up night in sport with most of the action happening over the weekend.They should have cut Monday night instead.

Off the ball extra is not the same I just don't tune in.

This Friday night they will be missing out on...

The Champions League draw,they will not get to talk about this ontill Monday when it will be old news.

The rugby,the build up to one of the biggest days in Irish Rugby history and the lads will be at home.Its just not the same doing it on Thursday night.

The Build up to the Dunne world title fight,again a huge day in Irish sporting history and the lads will be at home.

Agree with you to an extent but surely cutting Monday would be as bad an idea as cutting Friday? Although a lot of people travel on Friday evenings, equally a lot of people go drinking after work and their listenership figures on Friday presumably didn't justify the show.

Advertisement