Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air rifle and a 'real' Rifle??

Options
  • 06-11-2008 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I have an air rifle that I use for plinking etc and I have been offered a beautiful lever action .22 rifle on condition that I can get a license.
    Do ye reckon I can get a license for the lever action and still keep my air rifle too, or do i need to make a choice?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hi all.
    I have an air rifle that I use for plinking etc and I have been offered a beautiful lever action .22 rifle on condition that I can get a license.
    Do ye reckon I can get a license for the lever action and still keep my air rifle too, or do i need to make a choice?
    Thanks

Should be able to keep both. Explain the advantages and different uses of the two rifles and you should have no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

I have two air rifles and a .22lr rifle - so it is possible and not unusual.
    My reasons are
    1 Air rifle for shooting pigeons in sheds - low power so I dont puncture the roof.
    2 Air rifle for pigeons & vermin in field & woods - high power but I can still shoot safely upwards into trees
    3 .22lr rifle for rabbits on land which is suitable for using a bullet.

The FO threw his eyes to heaven as I explained my reasoning but I got my licence with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Brilliant, thanks lads.
    I shouldn't have too much trouble so.
    Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Should be able to keep both. Explain the advantages and different uses of the two rifles and you should have no problem

Is a licence not specific to a particular gun i.e A particular guns serial number ??

I'm waiting almost six months to get a Norica Air Rifle, licence application holding me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Is a licence not specific to a particular gun i.e A particular guns serial number ??

I'm waiting almost six months to get a Norica Air Rifle, licence application holding me up.

Yes, but as I believe, you cannot posess a gun of the same calibre? Unless things have changed.

I wouldn't see a problem with getting an air rifle and any other rifle for that matter. You could argue that the air rifle can be used for pigeons or crows. Could say it is for rats in the yard either.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Yes, but as I believe, you cannot posess a gun of the same calibre? Unless things have changed.

A firearms certificate covers only one firearm which has to be explicitly identified according to an identifying mark (usually a manufacturer serial number).

You can have multiple guns of the same calibre (many people do) but they must be individually licensed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

IRLConor wrote: »
    A firearms certificate covers only one firearm which has to be explicitly identified according to an identifying mark (usually a manufacturer serial number).

You can have multiple guns of the same calibre (many people do) but they must be individually licensed.

That's what I thought alright.

Advertisement