Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone on the three network

• 06-11-2008 10:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got a iPhone on the three network? And if so with what setup, ie sim card device ,sim free phone and so on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

id also be very interested to know about this..i think ill be getting an iphone ..im with 3 but if theres anyway at all i can avoid going to o2 and get an iphone to work on 3 that would be brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Yes it does work, so far so good, only been using it for a few hours now. I got an i-smartphone from ebay. Only one issue, with the sim installed you have to switch the phone to flight mode to hook up to itunes, else it states that an incorrect sim installed, and after disconnecting I had to reboot the phone. both wi-fi and GPS appear to be working fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

I put the Universal-Sim into the 3G iPhone, when I put a 3 sim card in the phone it displays "No Sim", but when I jailbreak the phone it works fine :).

2 questions: what is a universal sim? and what does jailbreak bean?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Has anyone got a iPhone on the three network? And if so with what setup, ie sim card device ,sim free phone and so on.

I use my Italian unlocked one all the time on the 3 IRL network with both a 3 UK X-series SIM and a 3 IRL data only SIM. Works perfectly.

• Advertisement

did u buy this phone in italy? or did u buy it off ebay?how much? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,128 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i had heard that the iphone didnt get great coverage over 3g? is this true?

cojomo2 wrote: »
    did u buy this phone in italy? or did u buy it off ebay?how much? Thanks

Got a friend to buy it for me in Palermo: 569€: no problems with it at all.

Cyrus wrote: »
    i had heard that the iphone didnt get great coverage over 3g? is this true?

The coverage is fine where 3G is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

culabula wrote: »
    The coverage is fine where 3G is available.

+1. I rarely get dropped off 3G where it's available.

If you get a jailbroken/unlocked iPhone you'll be fine, but if you can find an apple-unlocked iPhone you're much better off. You'll spend more on it, but you can get all of the updates and register properly through iTunes. Basically there's no messing involved :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 genyass

If you get a jailbroken/unlocked iPhone you'll be fine, but if you can find an apple-unlocked iPhone you're much better off.

Any advice for a person that has just been ripped off buying an iphone from a bogus seller in the states? Looking into a legally unlocked iphone 3g from Italy, but the prices are 570+. Has anybody got a O2 PAYG ifone working on three with turbo-sim? and how did you activate through itunes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

A question! I have the 2G iphone unlocked with latest update 1.1.4. I have an option to upgrade form Itunes but I am wondering if I do this, can I jail break my phone and unlock it so that I can still keep using my meteor sim card? would be class if i could

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

TheLoc wrote: »
    A question! I have the 2G iphone unlocked with latest update 1.1.4. I have an option to upgrade form Itunes but I am wondering if I do this, can I jail break my phone and unlock it so that I can still keep using my meteor sim card? would be class if i could

ya no problem.....just follow one of the tutorails here for windows http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1880 or the one here for mac http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1557 , you got to follow the instruction to a T... This is for 2g iphones only....

ya no problem.....just follow one of the tutorails here for windows http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1880 or the one here for mac http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1557 , you got to follow the instruction to a T... This is for 2g iphones only....
    Brilliant man thanks. If I do this though, Will I loose anything saved on the iphone? and is there an installer on it? Thanks anyway though I'll take a look now.

Brilliant man thanks. If I do this though, Will I loose anything saved on the iphone? and is there an installer on it? Thanks anyway though I'll take a look now.

yip you'll loose it all, back up your music and photos and then reaoad them on when it's all finished, back up any apps you paid to itunes if you can.........it'll take you a little while..

you have to be very exact with the tutorials...but it does work....took me a few attempts but when I realsied where I was going wrong it was easy...

yip you'll loose it all, back up your music and photos and then reaoad them on when it's all finished, back up any apps you paid to itunes if you can.........it'll take you a little while..

you have to be very exact with the tutorials...but it does work....took me a few attempts but when I realsied where I was going wrong it was easy...
    Nice one thanks. I don't know if i'll bother though because it will take ages to back up everything. is the update a lot better or should I bother in your opinion? is it much different?

Nice one thanks. I don't know if i'll bother though because it will take ages to back up everything. is the update a lot better or should I bother in your opinion? is it much different?

run the 2.1 update on it's own and it'll relock your iphone to the original network (02etc) if the phone is working fine or your not to bothered about and update or Cydia http://www.appleiphoneapps.com/2008/07/cydia-20-vs-installer-40/ ..

if you ever want to sell on the phone or just get bored and fancy an update then maybe be unlock it and jailbreak it then...

Advertisement