Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kin Kao v Mother India

Options
  • 06-11-2008 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Stayin in Athlone for a couple of nights and have one meal organised already (European type food as part of hotel deal)....:)

For the other night, was thinking of trying some more spicy, and I had seen mention of both Kin Kao (Thai) and Mother India (Indian!) on posts around here....
    Firstly, I will ONLY go to one of them if people say that they are good quality restaurants as in nice setting, good food etc.... If they are not recommended, I will try one of the other restaurants (Olive Grove etc) that are recommended around here; just wanted soemthing different but NOT at the expense of quality or a good night !!!:eek:

So are these fairly good and presuming so, which is the better of the 2?

thanks for your help,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭kim_eire

Id go for kin kao, definitely better than mother india, ate there once and it was disgusting! the thai is nice, fast food and good service, well it was the night i was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

kim_eire wrote: »
    definitely better than mother india, ate there once and it was disgusting!
    :eek::eek::eek:

Find it hard to believe that the food was disgusting. Obviously not a lover of indian food. I love it there, although mostly get take aways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Danimalito

kin kao for sure, didn't like mother india much either

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dukey

when they are recording the tv programme the restaurant which is filmed in ballykeeran they 2 lads paulo and tom visited some of the restaurants around town on the thai paulo said " it was the best thai he had eaten outside of asia" and if you don not get a booking they do a superb takeaway. enjoy..

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Athlone is or course a wasteland when it comes to good restaurants but Kin Kao is a notable exception.Good food,nice athmosphere,friendly staff , usually run off their feet.

• Advertisement

Ah well, looks like I'll have to give Kin Kao a go sometime then!!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Sounds like Kin Kao for me so!!!

Any nice pubs near Kin Kao that serve a good pint of Arthur? (cosy type pub as opposed to mad busy where you might not get a seat etc)

Thanks for the feedback all....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

kim_eire wrote: »
    Id go for kin kao, definitely better than mother india, ate there once and it was disgusting! the thai is nice, fast food and good service, well it was the night i was there!

???

I have eaten their food numerous times, it is usually great and at worst good. Don't care for the decor tho, more of a takeaway place.

OP, there is also a lebenese place near the kin kao, just so you know...

Seans or the Castle Inn are nearby and are cosy enough depending on how busy it is. Once the Christmas parties start they will be jammed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Danimalito

Sounds like Kin Kao for me so!!!

Any nice pubs near Kin Kao that serve a good pint of Arthur? (cosy type pub as opposed to mad busy where you might not get a seat etc)

Thanks for the feedback all....

try Higgins, it's opposite of the garda station. quiet, good & cheap pints and about a minute walk from Kin kao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

"The Snug" has just opened up very close to Kin Kao - beside Pavarottis Italian.
    As for Kin Kao - you won't eat in a better Thai restaurant in this country
    Athlone is or course a wasteland when it comes to good restaurants
    .... fair enough comment if a Michelin star or 2 are your criteria. I think though that the vast majority of people would consider Athlone to be extremely well served with quality places to eat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I have eaten Thai food in several countries around the world, but the best Thai meal I've had was in the Kin Khao. Try the Yellow Thai Curry and their rice dessert with coconut, superb.

blast05 wrote: »

.... fair enough comment if a Michelin star or 2 are your criteria. I think though that the vast majority of people would consider Athlone to be extremely well served with quality places to eat.

+1
    totally agree, since moving to Athlone I've been very impressed with the choice of restaurant and the quality of food, all within the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭kim_eire

tubos wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

Find it hard to believe that the food was disgusting. Obviously not a lover of indian food. I love it there, although mostly get take aways.

Actually i love indian food, that why i thought it was so bad, ive never got an indian that i couldnt eat! but in that place the food was terrible! will never go bk or recommend it!

Actually the quality of take out food from Mother India in the past while has varied! Had an indian in Indie Spice is Swords and that was amazing, best Indian I've ever had, far nicer than Mother India. Anyway back to Athlone, deffo going to try out Kin Kao.

Advertisement