Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asda to Jetland?

Options
  • 06-11-2008 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Hi has anybody else the rumour that asda is going to go into the Jetland instead of Dunnes ?

If it true i think its going to be brilliant i love asda's food no more **** st.bernard ...

I heard this from two staff members of the jetland so maybe could be true ongoing meeting apparntley last few days about it by the managers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well the rumour is that Asda are BUYING Dunnes, so its not "instead of".
    The management in Dunnes are meeting today, so we should know more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

It could be instead of, remember when tesco bought Quinnsworth, they changed all the stores to tesco, to be honest i welcome our new retail overlords, better quality own brand stuff which is way cheaper than Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

a lot of supermarkets in the british isles are finding it hard -so many rumours will be passed around-i know tesco is already in the republic and asda are looking to expand there .this is very good news because it will drive the cost of shopping down in the south by at least 25%--in the uk my wife works fo asda my son is a manager for tesco-his girlfriend is a manager for morisons-and i have just finished working for sainsburys --yep has the cheapest food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

who will guarantee you that ASDA is not applying the irish ripp-off??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

Is that a myth? Are the costs of running a business in Ireland more expensive or do companies take more profit from Irish consumers?

Back on topic, delighted to see ASDA coming but I think it's a pity if it's to take the place of Dunnes, the more competition the better and I feel every retailer has something to offer the public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I admire your relentless drive to find the downside to every story.

If you pay rip-off prices then you deserve to be ripped off, shop around.

asda is at war with tesco you can be sure that asda will not rip you off -tesco will try to cut prices to match asda{walmart] but like in the uk they cannot match them

I admire your relentless drive to find the downside to every story

much obliged, honey! especially if this is coming from that castle on cloud number 9.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

are asda not just like an english lidl???

cant imagine this country without dunnes!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭WHU

No Asda is on par with the likes of Tesco and Sainsburys but cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Asda are Tesco's main rival in the UK. If this news is true then it could be a double edged sword.

Asda's entry into the Irish market could force a price war between the different supermarkets. The double edge though is that Asda could begin large cost cutting measures including cutting down on the number of stores in certain areas which means job losses.

dont believe it mate asda will go head to head and will keep stores open every ware some small towns in the uk have upto 4 asda stores in a 6 mile area a lot of them new stores

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Just to let ya know in case ya didnt, Asda is actually owned by walmart.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

and wal-mart are the root of all evil in the modern world

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

getz wrote: »
    dont believe it mate asda will go head to head and will keep stores open every ware some small towns in the uk have upto 4 asda stores in a 6 mile area a lot of them new stores

A small town in the Uk could have the population of what we call cities here.

I'd love to see ASDA come here but it would be much better if they could set up as 2nd tenants in the shopping centres, really competing with Dunnes, Tescos and SQs.

ok lads, i'm convinced.

anyway, lets hope it's not the kind of price war supervalue does:

"supervalue - always cheaper. item here €3.46, lidl €3.48, dunnes €3.49" :D

Advertisement