Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 Bed Duplex Q

Options
  • 06-11-2008 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi has anyone out there extended the kitchen in a 4 bed duplex?

Thinking about doing it and would be great to know of any pitfalls beforehand!

Thanks All

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

2 things you will need to do before you start.

1/ Ring Wicklow CoCo and let them know that you are looking to extend your kitchen and get an idea of what is allowable prior to needing planning permission, or if you need permission straight away
    2/ Get on to your management committee and let them know of your plans. This is a requirement in your contract and you need the permission from the board to make any changes to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Thanks for that Rosie

Am more looking for the actual building kind of advice and maybe some recommendations for builders in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I think it would be worth while getting a Building Surveyor in to give you advice and guiidance on this one. Don't rely on the builder to be up to speed on the latest requirements of Building Regulations Technical Guidance Document Part B: Fire.

There would have been a fire cert for the duplexes. There may be implications if you extend the kitchen that might void your current fire cert for the premises!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

As a fellow duplex dweller I am more curious about where you are planning on extending. Are you planning on building out as such? How do you imagine the building work being suspended from below?

I imagine it would have implications then for the people in the apartment below you as well IYKWIM.

M

Hi Mrs A no you don't build out, you move the downstairs loo back down the hall and then extend kitchen into that space. I have seen another 4 bed that has it done and it looks great but unfortunately these people have moved so I don't know who they got to do it for them.

Was kind of hoping they maybe users on this board.

Astrofluff thanks for advice on surveyor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Hi Mrs A no you don't build out, you move the downstairs loo back down the hall and then extend kitchen into that space. I have seen another 4 bed that has it done and it looks great but unfortunately these people have moved so I don't know who they got to do it for them.

Was kind of hoping they maybe users on this board.

Astrofluff thanks for advice on surveyor.
    Hi,
    we redesigned our kitchen before the duplex was completed, so i would imagine the people you are referring to did the same thing, considering the properties are only a few years old.

it might be worth speaking to the kitchen company originally responsible for installing your duplexes as they may have the designs on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Dubsgirl, we are in the same boat. I know the one you mean, and in fact, the work was done by the owner who is a builder himself. After he sold the place and moved on, he advertised his services to other 4-BR dupes* like ourselves with a leaflet, quite a long while ago, and he came in and discussed it. We still hope to do this either with him or another builder but haven't got around to it yet. PM me if you would like the guy's details.

(*Not a typo. We have 4-BR places with kitchens designed for 1 person.)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi Dubsgirl,

I would approach it in 2 ways just to cover yourself. firstly talk to the management company as they seem to have that place locked down pretty well and see what alterations you are allowed to make. Secondly employ a very good architect (local if possible) who is up tp speed on code regulations and could possiby recommend a competent builder to you. You are allowed to change alter renovate the internals of your home as you wish but you must consider safety access and design elements which would affect house price should you wish to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 libra01

Dubsgirl/myperfectcousin, did you ever go through with extending your kitchen. I am considering doing it and would be grateful if you had any info you could give me

Thanks

Hi Libra

I haven't done it yet but it's for sure on my list to do!! I'll pm you the number of the builder who did them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 libra01

Great, thank you

Yes we did, more than a year ago now. The guy who advertised it originally wasn't in the area anymore and/or otherwise engaged, so we found another builder.

I can refer you to the guy who did ours (excellent job, good guy), but I have a feeling he's doing something else now too (as are a lot of ex-builders)!

Any specific questions, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nharrison02

Hi MyPerfectCousin

We have been thinking about extending also. We already extended our bedroom and the kitchen is next. Would be very grateful if you could send me the builders details. Did you move the bathroom forward and transform the area behind that space into the kitchen also? Same as the builder with the flyers that did it the first time? Saw his place and it looked really good but he had sacrificed a lot of space in his living room (longer area in front of the mini balcony).

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fi Fi

We're doing it at the moment on a 3 bed. Not as much room to play with in the living room,as the 4 bed,but the same idea I think. We've moved the toilet wall into the living room area and 'shifted' the toilet into that space, then giving us more space in the kitchen. Looking good so far. I won't recommend yet till theyre done, but if it's good I'll pass on the details.

Hi MyPerfectCousin

We have been thinking about extending also. We already extended our bedroom and the kitchen is next. Would be very grateful if you could send me the builders details. Did you move the bathroom forward and transform the area behind that space into the kitchen also? Same as the builder with the flyers that did it the first time? Saw his place and it looked really good but he had sacrificed a lot of space in his living room (longer area in front of the mini balcony).

Sorry I don't have the builders details anymore, and like I said, I don't think he is doing building work anymore. However, any good builder should be able to do this kind of job.

We moved the toilet down the hall.
    What used to be the toilet is now part of the kitchen.
    We also took a little space from the living room for the kitchen.
    The new toilet took away a small amount of room from the living room.

The result is a kitchen you can walk around in and fit a kitchen table in. It's not massive though. The living room is still quite big and the area by the mini balcony just as awkward to use as it was before :-)

FIFI, MyPerfectCousin, thanks for the updates, we were thinking of doing the same thing, just moving the bathroom forward and filling the right angular space inside the door of the living room with the new bathroom (would be smaller than the current bathroom as it was designed for disabled). I would be really interested to know how it works out as we don't want to take any more space away from the living room. Just a matter of interest, what kind of quotes did you get from the builders?

Just a matter of interest, what kind of quotes did you get from the builders?

It was 7 or 8K, not including painting. I imagine it might be cheaper these days.

Hi All

Here I am nearly 4 years later finally getting this job done (hopefully :D)

anyone got any builder recommendations?

Thanks

Hi All

Here I am nearly 4 years later finally getting this job done (hopefully :D)

anyone got any builder recommendations?

Thanks

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

PM sent

Hey Guys

Just finished a one story extn in Eden gate, couldn't be happier with our builder. Finished on time, no skip in drive way, nothing a problem, very clean and very considerate lads ( took shoes off coming in to use the loo ) , price was very keen too

Let me know if ya want a PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

Hi all,
    MyPerfectCousin and Merrilady, you both mentioned that you have details for good reliable builders that you would recommend, would very much appreciate if you could send me on details? and if there are any pitfalls in the duplex kitchen extension i would be grateful for the heads up!

thanks

Hi Quackhart

I will PM you the details of a reliable builder.

The only issues are that the WC was built originally to be wheelchair accessible per regulations, so making it smaller may or may not be a breach of regulations. (not that the units themselves are wheelchair accessible, but whatever...)

The other one is re-routing the waste pipes from the new toilet location. Your builder should be able to figure that one out fairly easily though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I've probably delved into this before re: acccessible WC - not necessarily wheelchair accessible but amublant disabled accessible. There are newer regs now since the duplexes were built, so always worth a look before doing anything, particularly if the WC needs to have a certain layout.

If you are changing something fundamental to the original cert of compliance with building regualtions, it is always worthwhile reviewing the regs as it will reduce any headaches when selling in years to come. You might need a further cert for changes made. If I'm doing a building survey for a prospective purchaser, I will always look for changes which may materially effect the original certs.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Hi All

Jfyi we went ahead and got this job done in the 4 bed duplex - really pleased with the results. Anyone wants any feedback just pm me.

Went with the builders merilady recommended - thank you! They were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

Did you have any issues with the building certification regulations?
    As astrofluff rightly pointed out this may cause an issue later on vis a vis selling etc.

Quackhart wrote: »
    Did you have any issues with the building certification regulations?
    As astrofluff rightly pointed out this may cause an issue later on vis a vis selling etc.

No - no trouble at all - mainly because I didn't look for it though :)

Can't imagine too many headaches as the wall that are moved around are not load bearing walls only internal stud walls. Also am aware of another 4 bed with the same changes that was sold with no problems...

This renovation also adds to the ability to sell as the kitchen is/was way too small for a 4 bed home...

Hi All

Jfyi we went ahead and got this job done in the 4 bed duplex - really pleased with the results. Anyone wants any feedback just pm me.

Went with the builders merilady recommended - thank you! They were great.

Well done Dubsgirl! We still have to get it done. Would really appreciate if you could pm me the builders details. Also if you are happy to share the costs incurred, that would be great too. The main reason we haven't got it done is cost but also because we don't want to ruin the big room because living with a small kitchen is acceptable when the living room is so large. Do you have any snaps you would like to share?
    Thank You.

Well done Dubsgirl! We still have to get it done. Would really appreciate if you could pm me the builders details. Also if you are happy to share the costs incurred, that would be great too. The main reason we haven't got it done is cost but also because we don't want to ruin the big room because living with a small kitchen is acceptable when the living room is so large. Do you have any snaps you would like to share?
    Thank You.

Actually Pm'd you last week with the details Nharrison :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement