Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal 1TB drives which one to buy?

Options
  • 06-11-2008 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a 1TB internal HHD and i've found 3 withhin my price range the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ,Samsung SpinPoint F1 and Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black. (here is a link to them http://tinyurl.com/5af8wt ) Has anyone had experience with any of these drives and could they comment on 1) the noise 2) performance 3) reliabilty . Any other HHD that would be suitable plese let me know :D

Which one would you buy? 28 votes

Seagate Barracuda
    0% 0 votes
    Samsung SpinPoint F1
    10% 3 votes
    WD Caviar Black
    89% 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Komplett are doing the Samsung for 99 yoyos atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hardwareversand.de for €91 (but will cost €30 per order shipping, only good value if ordering more than 1 item)

I have 2 of those Samsung f1's, very fast (90MB/s, see below) and completely silent (barely audible, although I use it for storage, not OS)

66190.png

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Thanks everyone. I'm going for the Samsung f1 spinpoint one from dabs ( http://tinyurl.com/5sud9e ) only €95.46 and €12.60 for postage which is the cheapest place that I could find it at. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I'm going for the Samsung f1 spinpoint one from dabs ( http://tinyurl.com/5sud9e ) only €95.46 and €12.60 for postage which is the cheapest place that I could find it at. :)

Dabs use standard mail ,in case you didn't know.

• Advertisement

311 wrote: »
    Dabs use standard mail ,in case you didn't know.
    What does that mean? I'm not covered if it goes missing? Are other online stores different like kompelt.
    Ok now that i'm getting this hhd where should i put my os on the 1tb drive or on the 150gb drive? Which would be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What does that mean?

Snail mail as opposed to courier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What does that mean? I'm not covered if it goes missing? Are other online stores different like kompelt.
    Ok now that i'm getting this hhd where should i put my os on the 1tb drive or on the 150gb drive? Which would be better?

Everything else equal, on the 150Gb.
    Nicer to keep your media on its own drive plus I guess its newer and so should last longer. You data is more valuable than your OS!

ok i was thinking in terms of speed would it be better to have the os and programmes on the 150gb and then all other stuff on the 1tb. So when the computer is accessing data it isn't slowing the os down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I just bought one of these and tried to install it (FAIL)

Do I need to buy additional cables of some sort? I have plenty of room in my tower but can't figure out for the life of me where the thing is supposed to plug into

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Newaglish wrote: »
    I just bought one of these and tried to install it (FAIL)

Do I need to buy additional cables of some sort? I have plenty of room in my tower but can't figure out for the life of me where the thing is supposed to plug into
    You will need an sata cable to connect the hd to the mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Cheers for the info - do you know whereabouts in Dublin City Centre I could buy one? Also, are there different types; what should I be looking for?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

You can get them in Maplin/Peats near/on Parnell street.

You are looking for this:
    SATA_Cable.jpg

Any mabe a molex to sata power converter if you PSU doesn't have any:
    Sata_Cable.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I have the samsung and heartily recommend, if I need another it will be a samsumg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

for a few extra quid i would go for a brand the western digital have a 5 year warranty

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

sammy in my gaming, surfing/work and HT PC's, never a bother

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

When I was installing my 1TB drive i got a sata cable from a friend and it works great the only problem I have is that is noticeable smaller in width size than the one that was already in my computer (end connections fit ok). Why is there this size difference ? Is there a reduction in bandwidth ? (how can i test this?) The cable is orange if that helps

Advertisement