Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance companys are now copying Ryanair.

Options
  • 06-11-2008 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Insurance companys are now taking on the Ryanair approach. In the race to win over customers thay are offering knock down premiums but once they have you they will hit you with extra surcharges to make up for this.

Recently I wanted to change over a vehicle on my specified policy. A charge that was normally FOC with the same company that I had been dealing with for the last 6 years. To my surprise I was quoted an "administration charge" of over e40.00 for this service.

How long will it be before these companies will be transferring us to premium rate customer service phone lines. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Insurance companys are now taking on the Ryanair approach. In the race to win over customers thay are offering knock down premiums but once they have you they will hit you with extra surcharges to make up for this.

Recently I wanted to change over a vehicle on my specified policy. A charge that was normally FOC with the same company that I had been dealing with for the last 6 years. To my surprise I was quoted an "administration charge" of over e40.00 for this service. How long will it be before these companies will be transferring us to premium rate customer service phone lines. :eek:

Quinn Direct were always like this ??? In fact i can remember a few years ago comparing them to Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hibernian tried to outsource their call centre to India and there was uproar. Thats how they want to save money but people promised to boycot them if they tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Hibernian tried to outsource their call centre to India and there was uproar. Thats how they want to save money but people promised to boycot them if they tried it.
    I just spent the last 15 minutes on to an 3 Mobile Indian Rep, it was a blo**y nightmare. Nothing against the guy on the other end but judging by the poor quality of the line it was definitally a VOIP. We had to repeat every thing about four times at each end.

I just spent the last 15 minutes on to an 3 Mobile Indian Rep, it was a blo**y nightmare. Nothing against the guy on the other end but judging by the poor quality of the line it was definitally a VOIP. We had to repeat every thing about four times at each end.

I do not mind speaking to guys in India because they are generally always very polite but they are very black and white with the rules. As an outsourced company, Im sure they have to be.

Hotels are very similar now with the Ryanair effect. You can now book a hotel like Bewleys Ballsbridge for €89 a night. Breakfast is extra and if you bring a car that is extra. The Herbert Park is the same and they charge extra for tea & coffee in your room. No welcome tray.

Some people dont want the bells and whistles policy and it could be of benefit to people to build their own policy to tailor them and not the one the sales agent on the phone wants you to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hotels are very similar now with the Ryanair effect. You can now book a hotel like Bewleys Ballsbridge for €89 a night. Breakfast is extra and if you bring a car that is extra. The Herbert Park is the same and they charge extra for tea & coffee in your room. No welcome tray.

Lower star the hotel the more chance of price-included breakfast, parking, internet, etc.

Europa in Belfast and The Point in Edinburgh were the worst hotels I ever stayed in for charging for everything and being generally quite poor - 4* though. 2* & 3* places across the UK and Ireland and everythings included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There is a reason QD is cheap (for young male drivers)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

At least with Hibernian it's free if you do it online,you have to register and get a Client number.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I changed my policy with QD literally 5 minutes ago because I'm switching cars. I was charged only the difference in premium between one car and the other. There was no admin charge for making changes to the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

A permenant change is free. A temporary charge is when they charge.

Do it on their website and it costs nothing.

I tried to hire a van and Hibernian wanted €75 to move it for up to 48 hours. I only wanted it for 24 hours but they still wanted it. I paid it and then realised I needed the van 2 days later. They wanted another €75. I went through every manager arguing that I paid for 48 hours and used only 24hours and wanted to use my other 24hours or they are breaching a written contract.

Eventually they agreed to it. They then called me a week later to say my Laser card never went through because they were missing a digit. Ooopps, I didnt remember hiring a van by then.

After 4 weeks of writing to me and me writing back they gave up and said they would write it off as their own admin error. :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

in fairness even when you put all the extras into the calculator at ryanair car insurance site their quotes are still quite cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

miju wrote: »
    in fairness even when you put all the extras into the calculator at ryanair car insurance site their quotes are still quite cheap
    Did you read the small print. You have to pay extra premium for carrying stuff in the boot, an additional child seat, a roof rack and a trailer :D

craichoe wrote: »
    Quinn Direct were always like this ??? In fact i can remember a few years ago comparing them to Ryanair

I have done quite a few temp insurance transfers in the past and quinn never charged me.

Did you read the small print. You have to pay extra premium for carrying stuff in the boot, an additional child seat, a roof rack and a trailer :D

You don't actually. I'm fully comp with them at the mo and they are twice as good in terms of cover than my previous insurers Quinn Direct
    I have done quite a few temp insurance transfers in the past and quinn never charged me.

nor me for that matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Happy Quinn customer here, don't think the comparison to Ryanair is in anyway accurate or fair. I don't get why people complain about a company offering cheaper insurance.

Quinn are fine until you have to deal with them for anything that includes billing enquiries , actual accidents your at fault for and ones that your not.

It then you realise where the costs are saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

miju wrote: »
    Quinn are fine until you have to deal with them for anything that includes billing enquiries , actual accidents your at fault for and ones that your not.
    Hmm...I've had one not-at-fault claim and it was all sorted in less than a week. Altogether we've 3 active policies with them, never had any issue whatsoever, and that includes billing enquiries, temporary cover on other vehicles, breakdown cover etc etc.

I ain't gonna champion QD as the be all and end all of motor insurance, but the market would be a lot worse off if they weren't around. I might change insurers in the future but tbh they have yet to give me a reason to.

Advertisement