Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rasta Power shop in Balbriggan??

Options
  • 06-11-2008 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

What is it and what kind of ''smoke'' do they sell??
    It says over 18's only.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭roneythetube

where is this shop? sounds interesting! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

Right opposite Charlie corr's. Beside the Bagel Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Seen it myself the other day, would ya not go in and have a look and then tell us all ?

Assume there's some sorta legal smokey stuff they sell along with poppers and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

they just sell bongs and all
    but they do sell some herb called zohan its legal and supposedly has similar effects to marijuana. They also sell them party pills that are like ecstacy which I personally think should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Of course it's important to point out that this shop sells nothing that is illegal.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Of course it's important to point out that this shop sells nothing that is illegal.

Does it not?? Really not!! Were you in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Popped in today for a look at lunch time.

Lots of bongs, herbal smoke and pills. Nothing illegal. Plenty of people in the place anytime I've passed it this week.

Good on you Chinafoot. Isnt the color of the outside mad lookiing.

tiredmam wrote: »
    Does it not?? Really not!! Were you in it?
    Yes I was in it.

I was a little surprised at the lack of Italian noodles.
    tiredmam wrote: »
    Isnt the color of the outside mad lookiing.
    Looks worse after a few party pills.

:D:D lol and id say you'd turn that colour after them too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Did it get raided yesterday?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1107/1225925540563.html
    Gardaí raid 22 'head shops' suspected of selling illegal drugs
    In this section »
    Three held after cocaine valued at €500m seizedSouthwest coast seen as drugs gatewayIreland fourth-worst in Europe for drug deathsFigures show big inconsistencies in handgun licensingGun licencesBoard chairman critical of lawyers' 'histrionics'CONOR LALLY, Crime CorrespondentGARDAÍ INVESTIGATING the suspected sale of illegal drugs over the counter in shops have raided 22 premises across the country in a co-ordinated operation led by the Garda National Drugs Unit (GNDU).

The investigation, codenamed Operation Fluorine, targeted so-called "head shops", which sell products billed as natural highs.

The shops were raided yesterday starting at noon in counties Dublin, Cork, Galway, Louth, Laois, Longford, Westmeath, Tipperary and Kildare.

A large quantity of merchandise was taken away and will be analysed to see if it contains ingredients based on illegal drugs. If prohibited substances are found the owners of the businesses where they were on sale face prosecution under the Misuse of Drugs Act.

The owners could be charged with possessing drugs for sale or supply in the same way that criminals caught with harder drugs, such as cannabis, cocaine and heroin, are prosecuted.

The Irish Times understands the operation was specifically targeted at the detection of two hallucinogenic plant-based products. Gardaí believe at least some of the ingredients are prohibited under drugs legislation.

Although a stimulant product called "herbal E" containing benzylpiperazine has been the subject of much public debate in recent years, that product was not the target of yesterday's operation.

Yesterday's searches were the culmination of a three-month investigation led by GNDU but also involving drugs units and local gardaí in the areas where the shops are located.

Det Supt Barry O'Brien of GNDU said the investigation was not focused, as some reports suggested, on whether the shops were licensed to sell the products in question. Instead, it was narrowly focused on determining if illegal ingredients were contained in the seized products being sold over the counter.

No arrests in relation to the products can take place until the analysis determines if they contain illegal elements. However, one person was arrested in the course of yesterday's searches in connection with possession of a controlled drug.

Products were taken for analysis from all but one of the shops raided yesterday.

It is unclear from where the products had been imported into the State. However, they are often processed and packaged in the UK or mainland Europe before being shipped to Ireland as legitimate goods for sale.

Gráinne Kenny, international president of Europe Against Drugs, congratulated the Garda on yesterday's operation. She said many shops around the country were "selling drugs that are potentially very risky".

Looks like it will be shut very soon, although I dont know on what legal grounds!

The fingal this week
    Councillors lobby against 'Rasta Power'

Wednesday December 17 2008

An ongoing campaign against a 'head shop' in Balbriggan reached the ears of Government last week as local drugs awareness activists met the junior minister with responsibility for drugs policy.

In a meeting arranged by local TD, Darragh O'Brien (FF), three members of Balbriggan Awareness of Drugs (BAD) and local councillor, Cllr Dave O'Connor (NP), talked with the Minister for State with responsibility for the National Drugs Strategy, John Curran TD, to state their opposition to socalled 'head shops'.

A head shop called 'Rasta Power' has been trading in Balbriggan since October and has faced a lot of local opposition from residents and community activists who feel the stores encourage drug use by selling 'legal highs'. BAD made contact with Deputy O'Brien in relation to their concerns about the opening of the so-called 'head Shop' in Balbriggan Town Centre, that sells what are sometimes referred to as party pills or herbal highs.

Speaking after the high level meeting, the Fianna Fáil TD said: ' We had an extremely constructive discussion on this serious matter.

'Myself, Cllr David O'Connor and BAD met the Minister for over an hour where the group presented the Minister with their research about the products being sold in head shops.

'The Minister explained that he is actively looking into the best way to ban these types of shops and has already sought advice from the Attorney General as to how legislation in this area could be brought about.

'I do not believe that these type of shops should be allowed to open in our towns and cities across the country.

'I will continue to work on this matter in Dáil Eireann in conjunction with the Minister to ensure that legislation is brought before the Dáil to ban these shops and their produce.'

Speaking to the Fingal Independent after the shop opened, the manager said everything on sale was 'herbal'.

'I'm against drugs and I am against people taking illegal drugs,' he added.

Balbriggan Town Council Cathaoirleach, Cllr Sean Brown, announced at last week's council meeting that the 'Rasta Power' shop was due to close for good by the end of January.

- JOHN MANNING

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

On the other hand maybe there is the argument that it is a good thing as people can buy legal highs safer and cheaper then illegal ones?
    Also it stimulates the economy and the black market doesn't.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    On the other hand maybe there is the argument that it is a good thing as people can buy legal highs safer and cheaper then illegal ones?
    Also it stimulates the economy and the black market doesn't.

Thats about right. There is no legal reason to shut this shop down and the Joe Duffy esk crowd who are trying to have it shut down (councillers and b.A.D) are jumping on the band wagan out of pure ignorance........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

If the stuff they're selling is legal, then there's no grounds to shut it down. Case closed (or it should be, in "modern democratic" Ireland). With the state of things at the moment, we're all going to be in need of some from of escape, I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr. Razzcocks

Has it closed??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

It was open yesterday when I went by around lunchtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Kind of a dead thread I know. Does anyone know if its still open? If so, does it sell Salvia?

cheers.

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    Kind of a dead thread I know. Does anyone know if its still open? If so, does it sell Salvia?

cheers.
    Closed at original location, reopen on Railway Street. Don't know what it sells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Aye, it does sell Salvia!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A word of warning - any discussion of illegal drugs/products in this thread will result in a permaban from DCN. Keep this thread strictly in relation to the outlet in question. HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭roneythetube

As far as I know Salvia is not illegal.

the idea of making a plant illegal is absurd. oh the folly of mankind thinking he can dictate to this planet what should and what should not grow.:D

Salvia is a variety of sage - the very sage that you use for your Christmas stuffing every year. If you have any sage growing in your garden look at the name on the tag around the plant. you will see the word 'Salvia'...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I didn't say that it was illegal. I was issuing a warning in case anybody thought that they could turn this thread into a discussion about drugs (illegal or otherwise). HB

Anyone have any idea of the price of the legal smoke in here?? And any suggestions also?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

ya be lookin about 30 quid a bag. Its decent for 3 grams. Get the Pulse or XXX stuff. Dont bother with anything else!

Cheers, generally how many would ya be able roll out of the 3 grams? and I'm talking rolled with tobacco!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Honestly couldnt tell ya cause everyone has their own opinion of how much to put in :D

i think i get about 15 out of them... i think.

There is plenty in it ;)

Yeah cheers, i'm never actually sure about how much I get out of a bag!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement