Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low flying planes in City Centre

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

dogmatix wrote: »
    Last Monday (or maybe Tuesday?) lunchtime, a business jet flew low over the city centre. I was at the Jervis street luas stop at the time. It was heading west - maybe landing at Weston or whatever that place near Lucan is called. He certainly looked like it was well below 1500 feet but that could be just my own perception.

Saw this, like a small small lear or something. It was *very* low over front square of Trinity..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

there was four of them out around town again today doing formation flying!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Would there not be some RAF jets based up North?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

A lad I used to work with does contract cleaning and did some work for a fella in the Air Corps ... now this lad would swallow a brick ...
    I saw the formation flying the other day and he was beside me and said "oh those planes are nothing" ... I was like "what do you mean"? ... he was told by the Air Corps fella that theres half a dozen F14/F16's sitting idle that we got as a gift from the US. He was dead serious ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Would there not be some RAF jets based up North?

Nope not really, RAF Aldergrove just usually gets the odd Tonka detatchment every now and then or a pop in for some grub etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

GBX wrote: »
    A lad I used to work with does contract cleaning and did some work for a fella in the Air Corps ... now this lad would swallow a brick ...
    I saw the formation flying the other day and he was beside me and said "oh those planes are nothing" ... I was like "what do you mean"? ... he was told by the Air Corps fella that theres half a dozen F14/F16's sitting idle that we got as a gift from the US. He was dead serious ...

You mean over in the Mojave Desert at AMARC, sure there was always talk of this and that they were going to throw in a carrier too. I remember on reeling in the years or something that in the 50's??? A then US president wanted a USAF base in Ireland?? Anybody back me up on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Heres an interesting thread over on pprune about how the raf would tdefend Ireland.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/350212-air-defence-republic-ireland.html

I think it's more of an understanding than an agreement that the RAF will help us due to our lack of capable aircraft*.

*Thats not to say they're completely useless, just that they won't keep up with a jet.

Advertisement