Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Using Joomla for Club Website....Help

• 06-11-2008 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi,

I am using Joomla to develop my clubs website. I am using the standard ja_purity template. I have edited the css files for colours etc, but I am not that happy with the way the menu works etc.

Is there a good template ideal for clubs. Are there any examples on the web?

I am mainy using joomla so that we can have numerous people update seperate sections of the website. Is this a good idea?

Finally, is there a recommended way to handle a fixtures/results table. I would like something in Joomla but can find nothing on the web.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

What's the problem with the menus?

There are 1000s of Joomla Templates out there and sites like Joomlashack have free and paid templates. There should be a template out there that fits the bill. Systems like Joomla and Drupal are excellent for clubs and societies.

You can set up user groups and give them permissions so yes it is perfectly safe to use a CMS like Joomla to let users with different rights make content changes to the site. That is what these systems are designed for.

You can control posted content by setting Joomla to wait for approval before new content is published live. That way you dont get people uploading inappropriate content or posting spam without your say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭fugee

I wanted some drop down menus but these are not part of the ja_purity template.

But I see a lot of help on the web. Am I right in saying that I can change the look of the template by eiding the css files and php file etc. This will allow me to have a different look to the front page for shoing news items etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

www.Joomla24.com has plenty of nice templates

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

In good CMS systems you get a lot of site layout functions in the admin section. You could get to know the admin section inside out and feel at home in there first because that is where you will spend most of your time later maintaining the site.

The Joomla download has a lot of great functionality built in and it is always good to exhaust the possibilities here before starting to integrate new modules and custom code.

As your Joomla site is made up of content blocks, you can turn each block on and off, place it on the right or the left and so on by ticking boxes and saving the new settings.

The whole look of the site can be changed using (x)html, css and your own graphics. If you are ok with these skills then you have a good start.

As for the drop menu, there will be a module out there that does this. Maybe you could take a look on the Joomla site for plug in menus.

Joomla is a good tool that can take a while to get used to so give yourself a chance. There is a good book out called "Joomla Cash" and if you want to pm me I can tell you where to find it on the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

fugee wrote: »
    I am mainy using joomla so that we can have numerous people update seperate sections of the website. Is this a good idea?
    It might be too late to change to CMS Made Simple.

The admin sets up the pages and can add additional editors on a page-by-page basis.
    See 'Additional Editors' at their docs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

yes it is ideal for a club website. You get a site that anyone can edit, however there are some items a club site should be aware of.

with the out of the box solution
    You cannot limit a set of users edit only one category
    You can make a members area where on logging in the members get their own menu and can view content that is private to all members,

All members are part of one group so all registered users see the one set of registered user restricted content.

There are some amazing extensions and templates out there, couple this with some one who can update a template and a little training and you can create and update on your own site.

It all depends on the skills of the user but having provided training I would say anyone can edit off the front end with no training and about 3 hours training is all it takes to master the back end to the point where you can do most maintenance items.

Finally make sure your joomla installation is locked doen correctly with no write permissions on the configuration file ( why can they not hide it in the include dir ? ) and limiting access to all other diectories except the images directory. Then make sure you back the database and the files up remotely so if the site gets hacked you have a recovery solution in place.

Hope this helps.

regards
    Sean

Advertisement