Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me be Santa

Options
  • 06-11-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I need some help. I know that there are some specific console sub-fora, but this question is non-specific.

I have an 8yo lad, who currently owns a PS2, a PSP and a Nintendo DS. He is completely mad about the PS2, and is very intuitive when it comes to gaming.

Santa is bringing him a new console for Chrimbo, and I need to know should he bring the PS3 or the XBox 360? I have asked friends/shop assistants and even done some research on here, but I simply cannot decide which would be best.

So any recommendations for an 8 yo?

Ta,

Hobart.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Let him decide (In his letter) or just ask his opinion? You're just going to get the fanboy opinions of each camp here, that won't mean a thing at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You'll get some very mixed opinions from some people on this forum. There are a few fanboys who will claim one console is way better then the other. As it stands, i would say that the Xbox 360 is still ahead in overall quality and range of games, but not by much. It used to be way ahead, but the Playstation 3 has come a long way in the last year, and its pretty close now. Nowadays, most of the bigger games are cross platform anyway, so its only really for the exclusives that you need to decide (360: Halo, Gears of War etc... | Playstation: Little Big Planet, Metal Gear etc...

Do you know if there are any particular games that your son likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Karoma wrote: »
    Let him decide (In his letter) or just ask his opinion? You're just going to get the fanboy opinions of each camp here, that won't mean a thing at the end of the day.
    I've already asked him. He doesn't really know.
    Kiith wrote: »
    You'll get some very mixed opinions from some people on this forum. There are a few fanboys who will claim one console is way better then the other. As it stands, i would say that the Xbox 360 is still ahead in overall quality and range of games, but not by much. It used to be way ahead, but the Playstation 3 has come a long way in the last year, and its pretty close now. Nowadays, most of the bigger games are cross platform anyway, so its only really for the exclusives that you need to decide (360: Halo, Gears of War etc... | Playstation: Little Big Planet, Metal Gear etc...

Do you know if there are any particular games that your son likes?
    I know SFA about gaming/fanboys etc...

I'm looking at it from a "level" perspective. Would an XBox 360 be too advanced for an 8yo? Or would a PS3 be too advanced?

The games he likes are the "Lego" based ones. he has star wars and Indiana Jones(which he is brilliant at). He also likes the Simpsons driving game. His older sister has a Wii, which he does not really get into.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah, always go by the games and future releases, not by people blabbing on about cell processors, etc.

Having both (well, my younger brother's but I reap the benefits) will hopefully give me some objectivity.

There are a wealth of pros and cons for each console, if you maybe highlight some of the games he likes as well as other features perhaps we can inform you some more.

The PS3, in my opinion, is a better media station than the xbox whereas the xbox tends to (at the moment anyway) produce better exclusive titles and multiplatform titles tend to look sharper on the more graphically powerful xbox.

The main gripe I have with the xbox is the damn noise from the DVD drive. I was playing mass effect last nite and it really takes away from the immersion. But the XBE update will fix that so you might want to ignore any "noisey console" remarks.

Ah, you beat me to it.

Having not played any of the lego games (my younger brother is 16) I can't comment on which platform would be best.

If its JUST the lego games, the xbox is cheaper than the PS3. If you are looking to also upgrade to blu-ray for family movie purposes, then the PS3 is handy in that regard. I don't think we watch DVDs on the xbox (poor quality), the PS3 is far superior as a media player. Plus PSN is free.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Ah, you beat me to it.

Having not played any of the lego games (my younger brother is 16) I can't comment on which platform would be best.

If its JUST the lego games, the xbox is cheaper than the PS3. If you are looking to also upgrade to blu-ray for family movie purposes, then the PS3 is handy in that regard. I don't think we watch DVDs on the xbox (poor quality), the PS3 is far superior as a media player. Plus PSN is free.

Not just those games, although those are the ones I see him playing the most. He wants to get more into the soccer type games, and I know he would be mad about shoot-em-up type ones (although he's mad enough at this stage) but driving sims etc.. he really likes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hobart wrote: »
    I've already asked him. He doesn't really know.

I know SFA about gaming/fanboys etc...

I'm looking at it from a "level" perspective. Would an XBox 360 be too advanced for an 8yo? Or would a PS3 be too advanced?

The games he likes are the "Lego" based ones. he has star wars and Indiana Jones(which he is brilliant at). He also likes the Simpsons driving game. His older sister has a Wii, which he does not really get into.

Thanks for the replies.
    The 360/Playstation 3 aren't really anymore advanced then a PS2. They both have more features, but games are still just disc in and play. Nothing else really required. Both the 360 and PS3 have the Lego Starwars, Lego Batman and Lego Indiana Jones games. Little Big Planet might be a very good game for him as well.
    Hobart wrote: »
    Not just those games, although those are the ones I see him playing the most. He wants to get more into the soccer type games, and I know he would be mad about shoot-em-up type ones (although he's mad enough at this stage) but driving sims etc.. he really likes.
    Again, the two main soccer games are Pro Evo 2009 and Fifa 09, which are pretty much identical on both consoles. As for shoot em ups, i wouldnt be too sure. They both have their big names (Halo and Gear on the 360, Resistance and....on the PS3). For racing, they both have great games. Forza and PGR on the 360, and Gran Turismo on the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

8 years old and he's got a PSP, DS and PS2 - and you're getting him a PS3/360...

Get him something else, non computer game related!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Tbh I think both are too advance or atleast the stand out games on both are clearly not for an 8 year old (msg4, halo3, gears of war, gta4, etc etc)
    the wii could be a better choice and pretty much all games that target under 12s are multi-format such as the lego batman,star wars,indiana jones series.

Unless you want to enjoy it yourself :D
    In which case the only real difference is, 360 is "cheaper" in that you dont need to buy the wireless/xboxlive subscription if you dont need it but the ps3 has bluray. Other then that there is only a hand full of games worth mentioning that are only on one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I have both, and I'd say the 360 is the better choice.
    With the current games layout, NXE, and XBLA I'd say it'd appeal more to him and to the family as a whole.
    He can probably get the PS3 when it has a wider selection, greater install base and when he's older, in a few years time.

• Advertisement

zAbbo wrote: »
    8 years old and he's got a PSP, DS and PS2 - and you're getting him a PS3/360...

Get him something else, non computer game related!

It sounds a lot, I know. He doesn't really use the DS, and my understanding is (correct me if I'm wrong) that the PS2 is EOL and the games are going to be gone in the very near future?

He's mad about the console, so I 'm getting him one that he can enjoy for the next couple of years.
    Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Tbh I think both are too advance or atleast the stand out games on both are clearly not for an 8 year old (msg4, halo3, gears of war, gta4, etc etc)
    the wii could be a better choice and pretty much all games that target under 12s are multi-format such as the lego batman,star wars,indiana jones series.

Unless you want to enjoy it yourself :D
    In which case the only real difference is, 360 is "cheaper" in that you dont need to buy the wireless/xboxlive subscription if you dont need it but the ps3 has bluray. Other then that there is only a hand full of games worth mentioning that are only on one of them.

Thanks, that's the type of opinion I'm looking for. I don't think that there is a "huge" price difference in the two, but I would like to in someway "future proof" it, s I don't want to be shelling out for 1 every year.
    I have both, and I'd say the 360 is the better choice.
    With the current games layout, NXE, and XBLA I'd say it'd appeal more to him and to the family as a whole.
    He can probably get the PS3 when it has a wider selection, greater install base and when he's older, in a few years time.
    Thanks, are there any issues in terms of reliability between the two? Does one give more problems than the other, or are they both pretty rock solid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I had both consoles (back to pc gaming for me).

I'd probably choose xbox as the range maybe be bigger and the console is cheaper. Another thing to check is what consoles his friends have so he can swap games with them (saves you money buying new games for him).

That was the reason my folks got me a mega drive instead of snes back in the day. All my friends and cousins had mega drives so we swapped games between us.

Another thing to think about is your Xtra-vision and which it stocks better for rental. That way you can treat him to a game rental at the weekend or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Buy him some video games.

And a bike.

I had both consoles (back to pc gaming for me).

I'd probably choose xbox as the range maybe be bigger and the console is cheaper. Another thing to check is what consoles his friends have so he can swap games with them (saves you money buying new games for him).

That was the reason my folks got me a mega drive instead of snes back in the day. All my friends and cousins had mega drives so we swapped games between us.

Another thing to think about is your Xtra-vision and which it stocks better for rental. That way you can treat him to a game rental at the weekend or such.

Some great ideas, ta.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Buy him some video games.

And a bike.
    Maybe you didn't understand/read the OP...

Well the 360 has the RRoD, but not only is that (arguably) non-existent on the post-Spring chipset 360s, it's covered by a 3 year warranty.
    PS3 reliability is not really an issue, the early 60gb PS3s do fail occasionally, but they're no longer available (the current PS3s have no PS2 backwards compatibility :( ), so that doesn't matter.

Well the 360 has the RRoD, but not only is that (arguably) non-existent on the post-Spring chipset 360s, it's covered by a 3 year warranty.
    I have no idea what an RRoD is tbh.
    PS3 reliability is not really an issue, the early 60gb PS3s do fail occasionally, but they're no longer available (the current PS3s have no PS2 backwards compatibility :( ), so that doesn't matter.
    Thanks.

Hobart wrote:
    Maybe you didn't understand/read the OP...
    Maybe you don't understand the meaning of "excess".

Proper answer: neither console is good for anyone under 10/12yo.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Maybe you don't understand the meaning of "excess".
    The personal issues/parenting forums are over there somewhere => Don't try and tell me how to treat/raise my children, it's not the issue here, and I didn't ask for opinions on it, and tbh I wouldn't from somebody barely out of their teens.. :rolleyes:
    Proper answer: neither console is good for anyone under 10/12yo.
    Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If he's a big PSP fan and PS2 fan, then the PS3 would be a safe bet. But Im pretty damn sure he wouldnt be too upset to see a 360 under the tree either :D

Hobart, on what K.O.Kiki is saying, as long you buy him the right, age suitable games, it should be fine.

360 RRoD: Called the Red Ring of Death, it's an arc of red lights that show you there is internal hardware failure. However, don't be confused and think that any red lights means that the console isn't working, there are different messages that each set of lights transmit (for example, if the entire circle is red, it just means you have a loose video/power cable).

You really don't need to worry about the RRoD at this stage, they've worked on the hardware, and it's really unlikely.

• Advertisement

Jeez lads, he asked for advice on which console to buy not on the perils of modern parenting. Stay on topic!

360 seems to be getting most of the votes, probably mine too.

RROD=An xbox 360 console failure. Big scandal a while back but microsoft held up their hands and the 360 is now backed by probably one of the best warranties for electrical goods available. As mentioned before, its not an issue (heck,i've been praying for them because my warranty is up at xmas and I wouldn't mind a revised console).

I'm not sure what the current retail kits are, but be on the lookout for the usual xmas bundles. Controller recharger packs are handy for saving on batteries. Make sure you get one with a hard drive for saving data and making use of XBE when it is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Seeing as he has a PSP and a PS2, he might feel more comfortable with the PS3 seeing as it has the same controller and control scheme and he might have already played some of the (exclusive to PS) game series on PS2 and might want to play their sequels on PS3 (e.g. Ratchet and Clank.)

But he might also like to try something new, and even though there's not that much difference between the consoles at the moment maybe he'd get a kick out some of the differences that the 360 has. There's also a lot more games out for the 360 at the moment as it's been out longer, but as has been already said, the PS3 is catching up so I guess it depends if he wants to play Gears of War, Halo 3 and Fable II; or LittleBIGPlanet, Resistance 2 or Gran Turismo 5. His sister might like to play LittleBIGPlanet with him as well if she has a Wii!

If he really like his PSP though, I'd be more inclined to get him a PS3. There's a few things you can do between your PSP and your PS3, like you can use 'Remote Play' to connect your PSP to the PS3 wirelessly to watch videos and play PS1 games in the PS3 (if he has any) on the PSP. He might think that's cool.

Will you be going online to download demos and trailers or anything like that?

I think that Gummy Panda gives some good advice - see if you can find out what his friends have.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Id personally get in your case a PS3..I have a ps3 meself now and have never tryed the 360 so i may be a little one sided.. but i couldnt be more happier with it..no problems what so ever and i have it about a year and a half now..

alot of games nowadays as someone already mentioned are cross-platform so there wont be any major difference in the range of games for each console except for the major exclusives..which both consoles have there fair share of..the ps3 is a little more expensive but i think that giving the ps3 also is one of the best blu-ray players on the market today, something that costs around 350+ euro to buy on its own.. it acts as a great future proof media centre too..also the online network on the ps3 is free where as the xbox is subscription based..

and yeah the ps2 and ps3 controllers virtually look the same except have added features like six-axis and are wireless and the main menu on the psp is just like the main menu on the ps3 so he would already know alot about how to use it straight away..

but as i said im a little one sided as ive never tryed the 360..but what i can say is when i had this exact same choice to make more than a year ago i chose the ps3 and have never looked back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I don't have a PSP myself ,but the psp is very much part of the PS3 experience.

There is stuff not yet released on the PS3 ,that will combine the two even more.
    Might give his psp a new lease of life.

Theres also games for the PSP on the playstation network ,that work on both devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

You should also consider what console the majority of his friends have. A big part of the whole console thing is being able to swap games and stories about what they are playing. Social angle is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

OP I have a few questions for you

Will you let him play it on the net?
    These consoles can be connected to broadband and you can play against other people from across the globe in multi player games? So will you let him do this?
    The 360 costs money to do this but the PS3 doesn't. It can be argued that you get a better online experience for your money on the 360 but that is getting in personal preference territory.

How will you buy the games?
    Now someone correct me if I am wrong here but aren't all PS3 games multi region (American and Asian games will work on a European console). This means you could buy them on the net cheaper than in the stores here (make sure its in English though :D ). Some xbox 360 games are multi region but not all

Price.
    The xbox is cheaper than the PS3 but the PS3 will have a blue ray player. If you don't have a HD TV then the blue ray is pretty useless I'd imagine.

Tough decision tbh. The kid will love either, SO what will make your life easier (cheaper console) and is there any benefits for you out of it (blue ray)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Based on the games you mentioned (Lego games) either would do fine, they're multiplatform. Check out what other games are available on either and whether you think he'd like them, like Ratchet and Clank on PS3 or Banjo on 360. Then there's music games too, he might like those! But they're multiplatform too. I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice, I agree that what his friends have should have an effect, if they have either, because they can lend eachother games.

For what it's worth, PS3 games are region free, but the Lego games are region free on 360 too, not all 360 games are region free, it depends on the publisher.

People can post their personal preferences on this thread as some have done, but I won't, I don't think it helps. My tastes wouldn't be the same as an 8year old boy's. So don't listen to fanboys :)

Folks,

thanks a million for the feedback, it's really helped. I'm leaning more towards the PS3 at this stage than the 360. The reasons being that he is definitely more familiar with the controls and that, from the sounds of it, the PS3 comes with a bit more future proofing than the 360 (i.e. it's internet access, blu-ray player etc..) .

Just to address a couple of questions, we have wireless in the house, and he does sometimes use the laptop for surfing and games (club penguin/Disney), I don't really know about allowing him to play games online, but I'd like him to have that option if/when we decide it'a appropriate.

I'm probably a bit ignorant about this, but any games we bought for the kids (we have 4 he's 2nd in the loop) we have gotten from Smith's (some second hand games are really good value) or from Game. I have never bought games online.

I have a full HD TV, but I also have a blu-ray player attached to it, so the console is not really going to be used for movies, but I know where you are coming from.

The fact that he has the PSP already is really swaying me towards the PS3, as I didn't realise that the two could interact.

Thanks again folks.

Hobart.

Reasons why a new console is a bad idea:
    • Can buy lots of games for a not-dead system, for cheap.
    • Can swap games with friends, as they're v. likely to have DS/PSP/PS2 (especially PS2)
    • New consoles are really geared towards older audience atm -- take a look at their libraries, you won't find me wrong.
    • Xbox 360 has massive failure rates, and I very much doubt that they'll ever solve that design *defect*. All those with "newer" 360s, I give you 18 months tops ;)

Also, buy a Y/Pb/Pr component or RGB SCART cable for that PS2, and a wireless controller or 2.

Finally: HMV are good for games.

ps: Don't forget that both consoles have age locks to prevent online gaming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Xbox. Better selection of games and the console itself is cheaper. There are pros to the PS3 but I would definitely go for the xbox in this case.

In regards to the xbox 360 failure rate, what people say is true. However, if it does happen, Microsoft send a courier to pick the console up from your house, repair it and send it back by courier. So its no the end of the world.

Advertisement