Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me be Santa

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I reckon the PS3 would be more up your alley. The 360 has a huge library of games but most of them are geared towards teenagers/adults. Obviously the PS3 has a lot of games too but it is slightly more 'family friendly' than the 360. It also has the benefit of Bluray so you can double it as a player (if he ever stops playing it to allow you watch a movie on it, that is :D) And, as you said already, his PSP can be linked with the PS3.
    I'm a parent of two young kids myself and I don't have a problem with them gaming on consoles, as long as they don't do it all day. The only thing I would say to you, Hobart, (and I only say this because most of your replies have made me think you're not really into gaming yourself) is watch what he plays! Most of the games that have a 15 or 18 rating have them for good reason. They should be treated like you would treat a movie of the same rating. If you do this already, fair play to you and carry on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I reckon the PS3 would be more up your alley. The 360 has a huge library of games but most of them are geared towards teenagers/adults. Obviously the PS3 has a lot of games too but it is slightly more 'family friendly' than the 360. It also has the benefit of Bluray so you can double it as a player (if he ever stops playing it to allow you watch a movie on it, that is :D) And, as you said already, his PSP can be linked with the PS3.
    I'm a parent of two young kids myself and I don't have a problem with them gaming on consoles, as long as they don't do it all day. The only thing I would say to you, Hobart, (and I only say this because most of your replies have made me think you're not really into gaming yourself) is watch what he plays! Most of the games that have a 15 or 18 rating have them for good reason. They should be treated like you would treat a movie of the same rating. If you do this already, fair play to you and carry on. :)

Bang on, I have no interest or love of gaming myself, despite being totally addicted to Wolfenstein and Doom some 10 years ago!!:D

The one thing herself is very very good about is watching how long and what they play. He does not have any games which are unsuitable for his age, nor would we let him have any tbh.

Sound advice, and thanks again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

why not get him a wii?he'd have loads of fun with that.Im not a fanboy btw.I have all 3 consoles and I play them all,but my cousins are ages between 8 and 10 and they have a ball with it,its just a sugguestion though.

why not get him a wii,he'd have loads of fun with that.

His sister has one. She's interested in the Wii sports pack (which is top) and some singing game, whose name escapes me.

We have gotten the Wii board thing which comes with a sports/fitness thing, which we are hoping to use as a family entertainment thing, but I just feel that he's more into the "feel" of the PS3/XBox thing that the Wii (unless I'm totally wrong) doesn't seem to have.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hobart wrote: »
    His sister has one. She's interested in the Wii sports pack (which is top) and some singing game, whose name escapes me.

We have gotten the Wii board thing which comes with a sports/fitness thing, which we are hoping to use as a family entertainment thing, but I just feel that he's more into the "feel" of the PS3/XBox thing that the Wii (unless I'm totally wrong) doesn't seem to have.

ah fair enough sure,get him the ps3 so seeing as he has a ps2 and psp already,actually a cool game out tomorrow that he mite like is this http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/image/938583.html.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I've both machines, and I prefer the xbox 360.

Its cheaper, and its been around longer so there are loads of cheap second hand games from places like gamestop.

I prefer the control pad too, it runs on aa's if its the wireless one, the ps3 one has to be recharged by the machine which is annoying at times, and 16 aa's are 2€ in a 2€ shop, I've had it 8 months and gone through half a pack, they last.

I've played a few of the lego games, good craic, but get the xbox, it just seems to be a better option.

As above, whatever his friends have too means they can swap games etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

We don't have a 360 in the house, but we have a Wii, DS, PSP, PS3, PS3 and an 8yr old, while he does play Wii mostly he is well able to manage the PS3 .

By the way, before I'm slated for all the computer games, he also plays soccer, hurling and football :) and has a well used bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I wouldn't use the PSP PS3 link as a decider really, it doesn't really rank in my book.

PS3 it is so. Good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭McGetty

Right, well, I only have the PS3, so I'm not going to comment on the 360, but one of the biggest reasons for getting a PS3 would have to be LittleBigPlanet, a platform game where you can create your own levels and play those that others have created. I brought the PS3 over to some young cousins of mine the other day and they absolutely loved it. And the fact that people are constantly making new levels to play means he'll get a lot of play out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its cheaper, and its been around longer so there are loads of cheap second hand games from places like gamestop.

I prefer the control pad too, it runs on aa's if its the wireless one, the ps3 one has to be recharged by the machine which is annoying at times, and 16 aa's are 2€ in a 2€ shop, I've had it 8 months and gone through half a pack, they last.

I've played a few of the lego games, good craic, but get the xbox, it just seems to be a better option.

Whenever I have bought batteries in a pound/euro shop they invariably are some crap brand with batteries that don't last long at all. I am extremely surprised that you have only gone through half a pack of cheap batteries in 8 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Bolgey

noodler wrote: »
    Whenever I have bought batteries in a pound/euro shop they invariably are some crap brand with batteries that don't last long at all. I am extremely surprised that you have only gone through half a pack of cheap batteries in 8 months.

try pound city in the square, they sell philip brand batteries, are preety good, trust philips :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Do what the other posters have said and look at what console his friends have.Its terrible to have one console and all your friends have the other tbh.Although it may not be an issue nowadays but it was when i was that age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

why buy batteries?

There is a good recharge kit for the controller. I'd invest in that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Go get him a book, a great book stays with you for life. Unlike a 360 which will probably die of the RROD fault within a year or so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

Hobart wrote: »
    I've already asked him. He doesn't really know.

I know SFA about gaming/fanboys etc...

As somebody who has not owned a console in nearly a year I think I can speak freely:

Aside from being a really nice present, why are you buying your 8 year old a 300 quid console?! :confused:

Regards him having one console and his friends having another, an easy mentality to have if you can afford both consoles.

Both consoles have pro's and con's and right now I would be investing my money in the PS3.

I would say, having seen my housemate play it yesterday, that Little Big Planet looks like fun and is probably good for kids.

I don't think any 8 year old is going to use a console to the full of it's extent so don't think in terms of online features really I would say. The Xbox Live function on the 360 is great but (genuinely) most of the people who play it are teenagers and I can't stress enough how much you want to keep your kid away from any situation where he can communicate with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I don't think any 8 year old is going to use a console to the full of it's extent so don't think in terms of online features really I would say. The Xbox Live function on the 360 is great but (genuinely) most of the people who play it are teenagers and I can't stress enough how much you want to keep your kid away from any situation where he can communicate with them.

I agree with this. If you do leave him online (with ether console I assume, I only have the 360 myself) Don't give him the headset. Some of the **** that gets spouted on that is too much to be listening to for an adult and is certainly not for a child's ears.

c - 13 wrote: »
    I agree with this. If you do leave him online (with ether console I assume, I only have the 360 myself) Don't give him the headset. Some of the **** that gets spouted on that is too much to be listening to for an adult and is certainly not for a child's ears.

I found 90% of the chatter on Xbox Live to be offensive. I spent a few years playing in internet cafe's etc where it was the exact same and at the time I paid no attention but now, I'm 23 by the way, I just leave my headset disconnected because of the way the vast, vast majority of people talk ingame and in the lobbies. There are really cool people online too but I would just excise the idea of Xbox Live for your kid.

I have zero experience of the PS3 online side despite having two of the in the house.

I think the PS3 is a more complete console out of the box being honest. Blu-Ray, HDMI as standard, built in wireless (360 wireless adaptor costs minimum €60), Better controller which comes with a rechargable battery inside unlike the 360 etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Sony don't put up with any crap at all ,when it comes to communicating with other people.

Home is going to be a pretty clean envoirnment for kids ,text etc will be *****.

my experience of xbox live from xbox to xbox 360:

n1gger
    fag
    cnut
    jew
    ugly n1gger
    jew n1gger fag

These were from American players. UK/IE and EU lads are okay. One or two muppet kids who tried to hit on a girl we played with.

My fondest memory is playing Halo 2. We were all Irish lads bar screaming. He was from the UK. We were against these american lads and they kept saying british insults. One of the Irish lads, Nialler, shouts up "Whoa! Whoa! We're Irish. Screaming is English!"

The abuse poor Screaming got directed at him about being scum and having **** teeth.

We laughed. Good times.

my experience of xbox live from xbox to xbox 360:

n1gger
    fag
    cnut
    jew
    ugly n1gger
    jew n1gger fag

These were from American players. UK/IE and EU lads are okay. One or two muppet kids who tried to hit on a girl we played with.

My fondest memory is playing Halo 2. We were all Irish lads bar screaming. He was from the UK. We were against these american lads and they kept saying british insults. One of the Irish lads, Nialler, shouts up "Whoa! Whoa! We're Irish. Screaming is English!"

The abuse poor Screaming got directed at him about being scum and having **** teeth.

We laughed. Good times.

Very reassuring :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks again for all the replies. We have decided to go for the PS3. Just to answer a couple of questions/points that have been raised.

We are well aware that he is not going to get the full usage out of this console as an 8yo, but we suspect that over the next 3-4 years he will get a lot more enjoyment out of it (he has a PS2 3 years).

We don't need any lessons on parenting etc.....We have more than enough experience, but thanks for the tips anyhow and keeping kids away from chat rooms etc...;)

All of our kids have more than enough books/bikes/out door time, and I don't believe that the purchase of a new console will suddenly result in a "bowling for columbine 2" type documentary to be made in 10 years time, but thanks again to those who expressed their concern.

Overall the comments have been very helpful, I really appreciate the time people took to read my question and answer it based on their gaming experience.

Cheers,

Hobart.

Very reassuring :rolleyes:

I was agreeing with your post on how offensive it is. I should have made it more clear.

Its defianitly a cesspit if you play with randoms. I wouldn't let any kid on it. Being anonymous lets people think they have free reign on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Wish my parents bought me consoles. The last computer-related thing my parents got me was Dragon Quest on the SNES!

Hope he enjoys it. BTW you should look into getting him Buzz! as well. Its a quiz game that is good fun for everyone. LittleBigPlanet is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Video games were never a factor in the Columbine High shootings; only ignorant twats (he-who-must-not-be-named) touted that as "fact".

Most people just wanted to let you know that the PS3/360's library are mainly geared towards older teenagers.

ps: Don't get rid of the PS2, your new PS3 won't have backwards-compatability :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Video games were never a factor in the Columbine High shootings; only ignorant twats (he-who-must-not-be-named) touted that as "fact".

Voldemort said that? What a pr!ck!
    Most people just wanted to let you know that the PS3/360's library are mainly geared towards older teenagers.

Very true, but both consoles have plenty of games available for a younger audience. Both have the LEGO games, as well as sports and car racing games. The PS3 has LBP, Buzz, Ratchet and Clank... The 360 has that Viva Pinata game and the new Banjo game.
    ps: Don't get rid of the PS2, your new PS3 won't have backwards-compatability :)

Good call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ale-breno

in my opinion, you should stick with the ps3. since he had a ps2, the xbox 360 will just confuse him but at least with the ps3 he will have a fair idea on what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The fact that you already have a Blu-ray player though means that the PS3s main advantage is useless.
    My little sister loves Via Pinata and Kameo (both 360 exclusives) as well as the Lego games. She's 10 now but was about 8 when she started playing them.
    Her cousin is the same age and has a PS3, but the only game I've seen him play is Drake's Fortune, which is not aimed at children.
    360 is very easy to use, but I'd have to agree, don't let him do online gaming if you get him one. Downloading demos etc is fine, and the 360 has parental controls to stop him downloading anything unsuitable so its safe in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hmm. Well if you do want to go down the online route remember the 360 is not wireless read and requires an adaptor which costs around 60e. The controllers also require batteries unless you buy the recharger and then of course Live is 50e a year although it is better by concensus.

So the straight cost (220e VS 400e may not be as simple as you initially thought).

Advertisement