Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wmplayer in process list on startup.

• 06-11-2008 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.
    My laptop (XPS1530) is a good bit slower on startup compared to when I first purchased it. Obviously this is down to software being installed and deleted, and I'll get around to trying to clean it up in the near future...with yere help!:o
    Anyways, one of my big bugbears at the minute is Media Player. When I start the machine and check Task Manager, wmplayer.exe is running in the processes list. Becuase of this, when I double-click to open a video, it opens in the background and all I get is the audio. I have to close the process, and then when I double-click, it opens no problem.

Any ideas of how to stop it starting up automatically??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Start -> run

Type "msconfig", click the startup tab and uncheck anything you dont want auto starting up including the mplayer.

Thats it sorted! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Windows (XP) presumably?

Start -> Run -> msconfig -> Startup items --> Untick = "don't automatically start when Windows does" (It does not uninstall / remove software)
    Reboot.

ED: bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Tis actually Vista...shoulda probably said that at the start!:o

Anyways, gave that a try, and it's still there. Couldn't find anything that specified wmplayer.exe. There was one that said wmconfig.exe, and I unchecked that, but player still loaded.:(

Thinking about it actually had this myself when i got my laptop a while ago.

Do you happen to have media sharing enabled on the laptop in media player?
    If you do then that will kick in scanning for new devices which would start the wmplayer exe file as its part of media player.

The problem you describe i also heard before and it was because mini player option was enabled.

Also do you boot up with any external HDD connected or anything?
    A lot of the time if one is detected during bootup the wmplayer.exe will start also as it detected media on the device.

Few possible causes there. Just throwing ideas out! hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

If goodlad's ideas don't sort it -

Autoruns gives an extremely comprehensive list of startup items (afaik its Vista compatible). Fire it up and have a search for WMP related items...do a Find for Media maybe and see what turns up.

If you still don't find out the cause of its startup get Process Explorer and see if wmplayer.exe is a child process of another one.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies guys.
    @ goodlad: I think I have the media sharing option selected. Can't check now as I brought the laptop home at lunchtime. Will check when I go home.
    @ PaddyTheNth: Thanks for the links. Will give them a good going over once I get home, whether goodlads suggestion works or not!

Cool sure let us know how you get on.

And what PaddyTheNth is also a good option, twas actually the next thing i was going to suggest, hehe! :D

Sometimes another process starting might have a dependancy on media player and if it does then it will start up media player so it can run.

Good luck finding whats doin it!

Got it sorted!:D

Used the programs linked above, and it turned out mediaplayer was a child process of some Dell Remote Control process.
    Turned that off, without affecting the remote control, and all's well!

Thanks for all your help lads.

Advertisement