Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream girl on train

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

JaneyMc wrote: »
    But then he shouldn't be asking anyone's advice on it? Or maybe people should just stop looking for advice all together? Everyone gives advice on how they would approach it if it was them, and as you said different people like different things, doesn't mean she won't respond to whatever the ladies recommend in here.

I agree with being yourself from start to finish, but this guy asked for some opinions and got some, which he says he thinks are helpful. No harm in asking, I wouldn't say it's a 'mistake' asking a group of females how to deal with another female in a situation like this. We might not be right, but most people here are agreeing, the note is the way forward. :)

Ah yeah but i'm the kind of person who likes to entertain both sides of argument so don't hold that against me too much.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Dragan wrote: »
    Ah yeah but i'm the kind of person who likes to entertain both sides of argument so don't hold that against me too much.:D

Noted, and I won't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Gyalist wrote: »
    Perhaps, but you're not getting your desired result either.

Best case scenario: It works. Happy days.
    Worst case scenario: You never hear from her again. Exact same outcome if you did nothing.
    So really, there's nothing to lose.
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    Can I just add that it is not freaky to pass time with idle conversation on the train.
    Random chats with strangers are the bedrock of our culture.

An old man told me loads about World war 2 on the train a while back. He was cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

JaneyMc wrote: »
    Noted, and I won't :)

Sorry, i'm bored in work and have been thinking about your question!

I guess the thing with advice is you need to think about the source you are going to.

One person is normally not the best person to go to for advice, as their own field of experience will be limited.

An open forum like this, where debate and discussion occurs around the issue would be much better, as points are broken down, argued and then considered against the real world experience of the reader.

So, in effect and against contrary opinion, the internet is the best place to go for advice!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

First thing that crossed my mind when you said you had lots of eye contact was well yeah of course you did. You were staring at her and she knew and was watching you stare at her. Or maybe trying to outstare you. Doesnt mean she was thinking you were fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

good find ! :)

The worse she can say is no right.
    (keep the positive thinking going when answering that ;))

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sorry Porkpie, I was actually at you trying to figure out why you kept staring me out of it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Start a game of Rock Paper Scissors with her. It's a fun harmless Ice breaker, and worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

What stop was it OP? :rolleyes:

I always find eye contact and a smile and then guage her reation. If it is a positive reaction then you should go for it. In your case, you said she gave you what you thought were positive signs so in that case you had an open door to make a move.

The note is a good one. I did it once, she texted, she also turned out to be quite qeird but the point is she texted.

I'd be the type of person who'd go up to someone I didn;t know and chat to them without too much bother to be honest though. Thing is the intimidation is larger on a packed public transport carriage so the note is subtler as the whole train won't see it happen if you end up getting rejected.

I think what you need to work on is instilling into yourself an attitude of "fck it, life is short, go for it". Because at the end of the day, after the initial rejection wears off you won't care about it shortly after whereas if you don't get rejected and end up with a great girl then you will be delighted you did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

This thread is funny and informative,

Here is my two cents:
    1. Get more comfortable chatting to both men and women strangers alike, for some people this is very easy, but they are in the minority. Simplest way, ask whoever you deal with on a day to day basis how they are, next time make the conversation a little longer. We all have a local shop, this is a good starting point,
    2. Use and this is not in the literal sense these experiences to build up confidence and an ability to feel comfortable conversing about nothing but still chatting. When it does come to chat with someone you are interested in its not quiete so alien and nerver wracking,
    3. Smile and say hi, this is a very very small word, but it can start a conversation out of nowhere, and its not a declaration of interest, its just someone saying hi. If you say it and the other person responds favourably, then you have got the ball rolling,
    4. When you do get talking, ask the person something about themselves, whether we think it or not WE ALL LOVE TO TALK ABOUT OURSELVES AND OUR INTERESTS, whether its a book they are reading, an ipod they are listening, a drink they are drinking, a tattoo they have or a particularly cool piece of clothing they are wearing

These are not tricks, its about human interaction, and I think most girls that are interested will not be offended or pissed off by someone simply saying hello to them,

Now I'm off into Spar to chat with that fifty something lady that keeps telling me not to cut my hair so short :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Dragan wrote: »
    Sorry, i'm bored in work and have been thinking about your question!

I guess the thing with advice is you need to think about the source you are going to.

One person is normally not the best person to go to for advice, as their own field of experience will be limited.

An open forum like this, where debate and discussion occurs around the issue would be much better, as points are broken down, argued and then considered against the real world experience of the reader.

So, in effect and against contrary opinion, the internet is the best place to go for advice!:pac:

It really is, unless you are going to stop random people on the street, you will not get a broader range of opinions elsewhere. But then some people just go on the internet to give rubbish advice and troll, so people have to be aware fo that.

At least he came her and not AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

I'd love to get passed a note on a train.

i'm married and not in the least bit on the lookout but the notion of it is oh so romantic and very 'Orient Express'.

Is it hot in here or is it just me?

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I'd love to get passed a note on a train.

i'm married and not in the least bit on the lookout but the notion of it is oh so romantic and very 'Orient Express'.

Is it hot in here or is it just me?

:p

But the question is, if your circumstances were different would you called or text the guy who gave it too you?

Would any girl follow up on the note?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

Seriously, James Blunt's 'Your Beautiful' was playing in my head while i was reading the OP's post. Freaky. :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Statso wrote: »
    Seriously, James Blunt's 'Your Beautiful' was playing in my head while i was reading the OP's post. Freaky. :pac:

25191896.puke.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

She Devil wrote: »
    What stop was it OP? :rolleyes:

Drogheda - God, that's not actually you is it? :D

*passes note*
    I am a secret agent.
    Your life is in peril.
    Follow me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Porkpie wrote: »
    Drogheda - God, that's not actually you is it?

Porkpie, just curious to know if you saw the dream girl today and if you slipped her a note or anything?

Vanbis wrote: »
    Porkpie, just curious to know if you saw the dream girl today and if you slipped her a note or anything?

Funny thing is, I think I saw her this morning getting on the train, but I didn't get the opportunity to talk or give her a note. I don't know, the feeling is kind of gone off me now, don't get me wrong, I still really like her, but I just don't know if I'm really going to actually give her a note. If only I met her in a different setting, like a bar/café/bookshop and had some kind of excuse to get talking to her. Ah well......I know I should probably be more fearless.....easier said than done though.

• Advertisement

Funny thing is, I think I saw her this morning getting on the train, but I didn't get the opportunity to talk or give her a note. I don't know, the feeling is kind of gone off me now,

Eh... you do realize she has been reading this thread?

Galvasean wrote: »

What makes you think that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Galvasean wrote: »

Damn! i was going to suggest printing off this thread , stapling it together, and dropping that to her instead of a little note!

Not that it wouldve helped in anyway, i just found the image amusing....:rolleyes:

Damn! i was going to suggest printing off this thread , stapling it together, and dropping that to her instead of a little note!

Not that it wouldve helped in anyway, i just found the image amusing....:rolleyes:

lol that would actually be funny alright! Maybe next time the train will brake suddenly, she'll be flung forward and fall on to my lap or something. Then I could take it from there . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Surley wrote: »
    But the question is, if your circumstances were different would you called or text the guy who gave it too you?

Would any girl follow up on the note?

I totally would if I was into him - start a textual relationship and take it from there ;)
    Statso wrote: »

LOL Mine too!
    Funny thing is, I think I saw her this morning getting on the train, but I didn't get the opportunity to talk or give her a note. I don't know, the feeling is kind of gone off me now, don't get me wrong, I still really like her, but I just don't know if I'm really going to actually give her a note. If only I met her in a different setting, like a bar/café/bookshop and had some kind of excuse to get talking to her. Ah well......I know I should probably be more fearless.....easier said than done though.

Give her the bl00dy note - and then give us an update of events! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

That's a lovely romantic story. Listen, if you're lucky enough to run into her again, don't miss your chance. Sounds like she's interested. There's no doubt that she knew you were, women are good at knowing these things! If she wasn't interested she'd've been away like a shot not hovering around on the platform texting. I remember at school hearing about a poet who dedicated a whole load of poems to a beautiful stranger he saw once on a train. Could've been Petrarch in his Sonnets to Laura, not sure.Best of luck anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

Who Dares Win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Forget about the note. Ok, if you have 0% chance at actually going and talking to her, and the note is the only option, then the note is ok.

But seriously, it's gone past the stage of note-giving now. If she recognises you, and shows that she recognises you, then handing her a note looks way too timid. You have at least some kind of rapport with her.

The fact that she gets off at your stop is a big plus. When you see her, go straight over to her and say 'are you shy?' if she says yeah say 'ok so I guess I have to ask YOU out for a coffee', if she says no, say 'so why haven't you asked me for a coffee?', :D Say it in a jokey way and make her laugh. Then say 'no seriously, would you like to go for a coffee sometime?', smile, ask for her number, leave.

Somethin like that. Just act natural and confident. She has given you every opportunity to approach her and you haven't acted upon it. What do you have to lose? If she rejects you, tell us all about it and give us a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

if you see her again, go over a chat!! about the weather. about anything! perhaps that you recognized her from the last day! notes can be a little wierd.

I had a similar situation with a guy on a bus (heck, i did nothing, and well, all the signs were there - i.e. he sat next to me on a nearly empty bus after i eyed him up from the window when he was at the bus stop, then when I got off I looked up towards him on the bus and he was smiling down at me. chance missed and i was kicking myself for ages about it). Talk to the girl!!! Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement