Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cairde

• 06-11-2008 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭

Anyone ever go on it
    What was like?

Comments

Never even heard of it, though I haven't been involved in Scoutung for about six years now.

What was it, and when did it run (years wise)?

Some activity buzzwords from my days in Scouting:

Donadea Cub Camp (run for the Rye Valley Region),
    Regional Shield,
    Melvin,
    MPC - (my troop were BIG into these, I'm proud to be one of the first to have completed all four, though a lot of Scouts in my troop went on to do the same),
    Ventac South.

I'm sure there were more, I just can;t remember them off the top of my head!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Are we talking Scouting or Guiding here? I went to a Camp Cairde back in the day (97?) and I think that there is a Cairde badge also for the Guides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

I was refering to the cairde challenge a CSI venture competition

Also anyone go on the fiontar, the sai equivilant

In all my years in Scouts, I honestly can't remember "Cairde"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Cairde was great craic. It was run for a number of years. I was staff on a few of them. They were held up in Larch Hill. It consisted of a themed weekend. I think the first year was 70's another year was celtic(or something to like that) and there was also a movies themed one. Friday everyone arrived, Saturday the bases were done and there was a big campfire that evening. Sunday nearly always ended up with a slippery slope and then the trophy was presented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

what were the bases like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

The bases were all good fun. Its a pretty light hearted affair. The bases were usually linked to the theme of the weekend. To be honest, I was normally at my base so didnt get to see many of the others. I can assure you that all the teams that took part had a great weekend.

Are they bringing back this event ? Seems a lot of national venturer activities were cancelled/stopped when the CSI & SAI joined together. Hopefully some more of them will find their way back onto the Venturer Calender.

And by the way Im not giving out that the 2 groups joined, I think its great for scouting in our country. I just think that the venturers of both associations got the short end of the stick when they did.

Ah, to an old schooler like myself, I'll always think of it as the CBSI!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

me 2 and im a girl :P

Baz, what are you up to???

Advertisement