Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my wireless router broken?

Options
  • 06-11-2008 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I am on a 3mb BT line. when my belkin wireless router is pluged in and i do a speedtest on the line the download speed is in the region of less than 1mb. when i go into the router homepage it says the the linespeed is in the region of 1024 downstreem.
    Now i have an old zyxel router(non wireless) and when i connect that up, the speedtest is in the region of 2650mb down. and when i try the zyxel router homepage, it says the line is capable of around 3000.
    any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I had problems with my Belkin router before it stopped working fully, I found by restarting the router worked for a while but it wasn't functioning properly

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Sounds like i need a new router so! strange, cause it works perfectly besides being slow - the signal strength is strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

I'm starting to have the same problem with my Belkin, less than a year old, keeps disconnecting and refusing to re-connect. Have to do a re-boot, may last an hour may last 5 minutes. Its getting really annoying! Should I cut my losses? Can I return it as faulty?
    Namesco wrote: »
    I had problems with my Belkin router before it stopped working fully, I found by restarting the router worked for a while but it wasn't functioning properly

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    I'm starting to have the same problem with my Belkin, less than a year old, keeps disconnecting and refusing to re-connect. Have to do a re-boot, may last an hour may last 5 minutes. Its getting really annoying! Should I cut my losses? Can I return it as faulty?
    Well, i had the same problem before with regards to disconnecting all the time and the reception whilst on the house phone wasnt great- it turned out to be a problem with the actual phone line (it was corroded at the telegraph pole outside my house.) Besides that though, a few friends who have belkins say they regularly have to reboot to regain internet connection.

So any recommendations for a new router? (obviously belkin being ruled out)

Here a post I did yesterday regaring my Belkin modem
    As I'm typing this I am wrapping up my Belkin router (3 months old) and sending it back for a replacement router. It worked perfectly when I was with UTV but just after switching to BT the router started acting up, first it would only give local access for my laptop but my desktop could connect. And after phone calls to BT and Belkin I eventually got the issue resolved via Belkin support as BT don't want anything to do with it if it's not a BT supplied modem/router.

Then the router got progressively worse making it very difficult to get online, restarting the router, restoring factory settings everything just to get it working and getting online.

Then last weekend it just wouldn’t work DSL light on solid but it just wouldn’t connect to the internet. After checking everything with BT, I again rang Belkin and went through everything with a Belkin person and then after going through everything he eventually puts me through to his superior who is also determined to go through everything again and again restart, unplug, restore factory settings etc. After convincing him I wasn’t in Australia, I had the proper ISP settings (Which I had) I was connected and I could see the uprate and downrate data but could no go online couldn't ping, he then eventually agreed a replacement which I am wrapping up now to be returned by freepost.

So I’m guessing it could be the router being the problem and if you feel like taking Indian English for about an hour you can contact Belkin on +44 (0)1933 352000. I’m not that heavy a user 20-30GB a month so I don’t think it’s from over use

I went out the next day and bought a netgear router and is working perfectly on first setup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Dang,

Dont fancy ringing them to be honest, as I'm with 3, hate ringing Indian call centres!
    Think i'll bring it to the local recycling centre and just do the world a favour and put it down!

So you reckon Netgear is the way to go or how about Linksys?
    Namesco wrote: »
    Here a post I did yesterday regaring my Belkin modem

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Dang,

Dont fancy ringing them to be honest, as I'm with 3, hate ringing Indian call centres!
    Think i'll bring it to the local recycling centre and just do the world a favour and put it down!

So you reckon Netgear is the way to go or how about Linksys?

Time will only tell, but so far the netgear has been rock solid and I'm even getting am up to 500kps better in the download performance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If a router suddenly starts acting up it is worth checking your line stats to see if they have deteriorated. Poor noise margin can lead to disconnects.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

thanks all for the info- will either get a netgear or linksys and give that a try!

dub45 wrote: »
    If a router suddenly starts acting up it is worth checking your line stats to see if they have deteriorated. Poor noise margin can lead to disconnects.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

i have just read through that page- very interesting. the strange thing about mine however was that i was getting different downstream noise levels. the zyxel was about 26db( which i believe to be ok) but then the belkin would be around 6db! i would have thought it would be the same for both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

D-link are the best

Advertisement