Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV tuner

• 06-11-2008 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

I just bought one of these

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=315276

on ebay im wondering what it will work with can i plug a normal aerial into it and get rte and tv3 but i see digital coming up alot

will it work with play stations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I just bought one of these

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=315276

on ebay im wondering what it will work with can i plug a normal aerial into it and get rte and tv3 but i see digital coming up alot

will it work with play stations?

It's a DVB-T card. Digital Video Broadcast - Terrestrial.
    As you're probably aware, currently the available terrestrial broadcasts in Ireland are RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4. However these are broadcast in Analog. RTE are working on rolling out their Digital Terrestrial broadcasts by 2012 to meet EU directives. They have test broadcasts I think around the greater Dublin area, maybe into Meath and some places like that, but that's all.
    So at the moment it's probably useless to you until broadcasts go digital. The digital broadcasts will still be received with the traditional aerial on the roof, like it does at the minute for the local channels, but the tuner in your TV will not work unless it's a relatively new TV and has a digital as well as analog tuner. At this time that card will come into it's own. Until then, unless you're in an area to pick up the RTE pilot digital broadcasts then it'll gather dust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Thanks biro can you tell me where rte have their pilot digital broadcast's?

Also is there some sort of digital to analogue converter and will this work with the likes of play stations and other devices.

Basically what can i use it for it was a bit of an impulse buy and it only cost 1.20sterling which was a steal so i can sell it if it doesnt work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Digital trials have long since finished, but over on the Terrestrial forum lots of info is available.

Three Rock transmitter is currently transmitting the 4 channels in digital form, for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Thanks biro can you tell me where rte have their pilot digital broadcast's?

Also is there some sort of digital to analogue converter and will this work with the likes of play stations and other devices.

Basically what can i use it for it was a bit of an impulse buy and it only cost 1.20sterling which was a steal so i can sell it if it doesnt work.

You can only use it for digital terrestrial TV. If you're within a digital terrestrial signal range, you'll be able to watch TV on your PC, and if the software that came with that device is any good, pause, rewind and record live TV in a Sky+ fashion. (Terrestrial channels only, and software permitting).

Advertisement