Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elara Online - HP Mini Note 2133 Vista €459

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

Looks like a good deal but any deals on hp servers coming up.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Catalyst wrote: »

Looks good but seems very expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Seems expensive to me, OK so it has 120 Gb Hard drive, but in my book, a netbook is a netbook! This looks better value; the Acer Aspire for €280 at Powercity: http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-30-104902 saving yourself almost €200. Or skip up north and save yourself an extra €57 by buying at Tesco for €223: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-6391.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

It is expensive if you compare it to Acer, Asus and Samsung offerings but the build quality is on a different level.

You will be suprised to know that we are selling the laptop €50 cheaper than most other places, so at it's regular price it is even more expensive.

Good luck to hp and Dell who are trying to sell netbooks for €100 to €200+ more than other manufacturers. In my view, the Dell brand or hp's "better build quality" are not worth the extra, but let the customer decide I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

GET XP or prepare to wait on your programs to load very slowly with this little bit of RAM.
    Don't and you'll regret it...

Just so you know you are comparing the Linux version to the Windows version of the mini note.

The Acer One with Windows is €399.95 from power city, less from us BTW.

You can always say why buy a BMW when you can get a Ford... some people just can't see the difference, others can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

I bought the Acer Aspire One in the states with 1GB of memory, XP and the 120GB HDD and love it, the build, speed, ease of use etc.

I am looking for a soft\silicon pouch or cover for it. Anyone know where I might get one?

M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Kin Mak wrote: »
    Just so you know you are comparing the Linux version to the Windows version of the mini note.

You can always say why buy a BMW when you can get a Ford... some people just can't see the difference, others can.

Who is us?

madmoe wrote: »
    I bought the Acer Aspire One in the states with 1GB of memory, XP and the 120GB HDD and love it, the build, speed, ease of use etc.

I am looking for a soft\silicon pouch or cover for it. Anyone know where I might get one?

M

All out of stock at the mo, sorry.

http://www.elara.ie/products/noteacc.asp?srch=8.9&anyallexact=all&manu=&mancode=&searchBtn=Search&layershowhide=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Thanx, at least I now know where to look. U guys sell the 6 cell battery for the Acer Aspire one?

M

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It is expensive if you compare it to Acer, Asus and Samsung offerings but the build quality is on a different level.

There is very little difference in build quality nowadays but I would still consider asus (maybe samsung as well although they haven't made as many laptops as the others) over hp in terms of build quality.

madmoe wrote: »
    Thanx, at least I now know where to look. U guys sell the 6 cell battery for the Acer Aspire one?

M

You are killing me here... out of stock as well. :rolleyes:

http://www.elara.ie/products/results.asp?srch=aspire+one+6+cell&anyallexact=all&manu=&mancode=&type=&typedesc=&layershowhide=&Submit1=Refine

Just so you know the Linux version of the Aspire is the BMW one. Linux is easy to use, and you're usually getting a newly released operating system, not software thats 7 years old like XP, or terrible to use like Vista.

There is very little difference in build quality nowadays but I would still consider asus (maybe samsung as well although they haven't made as many laptops as the others) over hp in terms of build quality.

Samsung are doing a real push at the moment and they have some tasty laptops coming out. I would not worry about their quality, they are a big company with a big budget behind them. From what they have said to me it looks like they mean business.

I have always liked Asus, they started off building Sony laptops and then once they lost the contract started to really push their own.

As for the Linux and Windows version debate Oracle brought up? It is personal preference which you prefer, all I am saying is Windows versions will always be more expensive so you can't be compaing price with a Windows and Linux version of laptops.

As for the BMW reference, it is more build quality of the laptop I am talking about.

Forget about build quality and operating systems. It's true that the Microsoft licence will add to the cost of manufacturing, but the price differential is all about profit and everyone knows it. Dell and hp, among others, simply want to make more profit from this relatively new category of computer, especially in the run up to Christmas. In the new year Dell (and probably hp) will slash their netbook prices to compete with the other netbook makers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Samsung are doing a real push at the moment and they have some tasty laptops coming out. I would not worry about their quality, they are a big company with a big budget behind them. From what they have said to me it looks like they mean business.

I have always liked Asus, they started off building Sony laptops and then once they lost the contract started to really push their own.

Yup they both make some good quality laptops so why do you imply that there is a difference in build quality between these two and hp. I think you are mistaking build quality for brand recognition. Samsung and asus just don't have the same brand recognition as hp in the laptop/computer market despite samsung being one of the biggest consumer electronics companies in the world.

Yup they both make some good quality laptops so why do you imply that there is a difference in build quality between these two and hp. I think you are mistaking build quality for brand recognition. Samsung and asus just don't have the same brand recognition as hp in the laptop/computer market despite samsung being one of the biggest consumer electronics companies in the world.

The Asus EEE PCs are made to a very strict budget and you can see that, they are still great and I love them from what they are. Samsung is stepping it up a bit, their NC10 look cool and definately stand out compared to the EEE. You would need to really.

The Mini Note on the other hand is a different price bracket and aimed at a different consumer. First of all the case is metal amongst other things. It does not feel like it should be in the same company as the EEE, NC10 or the Aspire Ones but it will be as it is still a Netbook.

I have no doubt HP will either reduce the manufacturing costs of the mini note to compete with the other Netbooks or release a different version. The Netbook sector is exploding and everyone want a big piece of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Catalyst wrote: »

Any plans to get in 160GB Asus netbooks? No where appears to have them currently at a decent price- Argos have them in their new catelogue just out, but ther're currently out of stock -- sounds like they are awaiting a large shipment like all the other stores?

• Advertisement

ebuyer are selling the Linux version of this for about €210 delivered. Slap on XP/Visat and you have a decent machine. Ordered on on Tuesday will arrive tomorrow

I've a free copy of vista from the vista launch so I'll prob load that up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is that the Acer linpus OS on it? If it is I wouldn't waste me time on it from what i've seen...more skoda than bmw tbh

Bambi wrote: »
    Is that the Acer linpus OS on it? If it is I wouldn't waste me time on it from what i've seen...more skoda than bmw tbh

Its the HP one. I'll be taking Linux off it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Thanks for the replies,

I've been centering in on the Asus 904 as the one to go for:

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1666740

If anyone has opinions or views on why/why not to go for this Id be interested and appreciate all comments.
    buying it for the portability-storage memory is important (ish) and may run programmes like dreamweaver from it, but thats not essential -more a nice to have if it works
    After that, I'll have basic office docs like word, excel powerpoint put onto it, and will do web browsing/ e-mail.
    Portability aspect is important from a commuting and a college perspective- have main pc to work off also

Cicero wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies,

I've been centering in on the Asus 904 as the one to go for:

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1666740

If anyone has opinions or views on why/why not to go for this Id be interested and appreciate all comments.
    buying it for the portability-storage memory is important (ish) and may run programmes like dreamweaver from it, but thats not essential -more a nice to have if it works
    After that, I'll have basic office docs like word, excel powerpoint put onto it, and will do web browsing/ e-mail.
    Portability aspect is important from a commuting and a college perspective- have main pc to work off also

They have none left

Arrived today from ebuyer.

Up and running in about 10 minutes. Worth a punt for €200

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

kearnsr wrote: »
    Arrived today from ebuyer.

Up and running in about 10 minutes. Worth a punt for €200
    Mine came on Friday, first thing I did was format it and install Windows XP, that took me a while but eventually I got it done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

Got mine last Friday also.

The Suse 10 Enterprise Linux installed by default is extremely unfriendly; did not seem to be able to update unless you subscribed (i.e. paid) for updates. Certainly compared to Ubuntu is seems a bad match for this machine!

No matter, always planned to install XP. Yesterday installed XP Pro, slimmed down and slipstreamed SP3. Found this guide very useful for creating the nLite installation:
    Install a lightweight version of Windows XP on the Asus Eee PC using nLite
    No need to create ISO as the HP2133 has no CD/DVD drive!
    My nLite'd installation reduced XP from about 600MB to about 150MB!

Installed XP with USB key using the following guide:
    Installing Windows XP on a Netbook Via USB (Acer Aspire One)

Finally, installed XP drivers, downloaded from HP website here:
    HP Mini-Note 2133 XP Pro Drivers
    Did not bother with anything under
    "BIOS"
    "Driver - Printer"
    "Operating System - Enhancements and QFEs" (as I installed SP3)
    "Software - Solutions"
    "Software - System Management"
    or 'InterVideo WinDVD 8 SE (DVD) Player'

Note from reading forums, general consensus is to install the 'VIA chipset' drivers first and 'HP Driveguard' last.

Naturally, did Windows Update finally. All took a few hours, but part of the fun in figuring it all out! Haven't had much time to actually use the HP with XP, but certainly feels nippy using IE7 (haven't installed Firefox yet!). Screen resolution at 1280 x 800 is fantastic and keyboard easy to use. Very pleased with it, thanks to Bargain Alerts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Hi Zilog, great post!
    I know a restore disk will not work with what you are doing. Have you any experience with using an XP install disk and then using a restore disks number? Its ridiculous having to buy XP again when I already have it on 3 unused computers. grrrr

I have Vista HP running on it now. Prob doesnt run as fast as XP but I only have a Vista disk at home. Installed it via my xbox HD-DVD drive and tok about 2 hours to do everything.

How does it run on XP? Might see if I can source an XP disk. I have an XP Pro disk some where but havent a clue where it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

Linoge wrote: »
    Hi Zilog, great post!
    I know a restore disk will not work with what you are doing. Have you any experience with using an XP install disk and then using a restore disks number?

Hi Linoge, glad to be of assistance :D

You're correct of course, you need access to an original XP 'hologram' disk to create the install; however, it seems a restore key from a genuine copy of XP will then work and allow successful activation! I registered/activated mine using an unused XP OEM licence. I presume you have to match up the XP types though (i.e. original XP Pro with genuine XP Pro key).

Kearnsr, runs pretty good using XP. I had forgotten how nippy a new XP install can be! nLite installation really helps. YouTube video plays fine; the video played from engadget is quite choppy though and tops the processor out at 100%

Hope this helps,
    Zilog

• Registered Users Posts: 40 moose52c

Hey I dont think im in the correct forum but!
    I need to buy a new laptop I was looking for blue-ray maybe HD screen and a good battery life? I am willing to spend in the region of €1000.. so help would be great!!:confused:

moose52c wrote: »
    Hey I dont think im in the correct forum but!
    I need to buy a new laptop I was looking for blue-ray maybe HD screen and a good battery life? I am willing to spend in the region of €1000.. so help would be great!!:confused:

try here

Advertisement