Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to set up basic home network

• 06-11-2008 2:07pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am amazed how complicated windows makes it to set up a simple network. Last night I tried the wizard but got nowhere.

I have a typical setup of computers at home. NTL Broadband modem connected to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. No wired connections, just 2 laptops and a desktop connected wirelessly to the network.

I want to be able to share files. Mainly put lots of files (music and movies etc) into a directory on my desktop which I want to be able to easily access from the laptops.

I might map a network drive so that on the laptops they appear in "My Computer" for easy access etc.

Can someone give me a walk-through on how to set this up?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

It's handy enough really... Just make sure the 2 PC's are in the same workgroup and when you share folders out ( right click and go share ) you will be able to browse them once the permissions are right.

If you are not too worried about security you can share to "everyone" ( not really reccomended ) or just set up a local accout on both PC's with the same name and password and you should be away.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers, so where do i go to put them on the same workgroup? After that do i just share folders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

From memory right click on My Computer and go to properties and from there Network ID.

Might be different on XP Home etc.

If you google XP Home/Pro Joining Workgroup it should give you step by steps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Advertisement