Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT and Garages

Options
  • 06-11-2008 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I was going to but a secong hand 04 Volvo S40 off a garage but it has no NCT
    They said they would stand over the car to get the NCT but that I would have to do it myself?
    I am right in smelling a rat.

Why wouldn't they just do it and then sell it to me ?
    I'm thinking theres obviously something wrong with the car , i'll go back to the garage and get the run around with them alreay having my cash.
    Is this the norm??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Think you answered your own question really.....

Cant understand this .... Why dont they just test it and be done with it ! Would they still stand over it after failing on a number of issues ??? NO me thinks !
    In my case it would turn me straight off ..... especially given todays climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Don17 wrote: »
    They said they would stand over the car to get the NCT but that I would have to do it myself?

I'm thinking theres obviously something wrong with the car , i'll go back to the garage and get the run around with them alreay having my cash.
    Is this the norm??

Thanks

It's a load of my b*llocks OP. In the current climate, tell them to get their act together and if they are selling a car, have it NCT'd. You'd think that with sales opportunities very few and far between, they would already have this sorted out. There have been a few previous threads about this and I can't understand how someone selling cars for a living can try to sell a car without an NCT, it's absolutely mind boggling in my eyes. My advice is, if you want to buy the car, under no circumstances do so wihile the car is due an NCT. Give them a deposit and tell them you'll proceed with the purchase if they get it NCT'd. If they won't take ownership of getting the car NCT'd, don't give them a deposit and forget about it, next garage... Have a look at previous theads on this and you'll see all sorts of misunderstands and messy crap going on when a dealer said they would fix something and then they wouldn't/couldn't or things got complicated.

No NCT, no deal, that's how I would be dealing with it... It's a buyers market out there, so anyone trying to sell you a car without an NCT in the current climate is taking the p*ss to be honest...

You've a country full of people in the industry scratching their heads wondering why there are no sales and you hear stories on this forum of sales people selling cars without an NCT, am I missing something here?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya if the NCT is currently expired, then there is no reason why there should not do it before purchase. If however there was an NCT with only a few months left on it, sometimes garages will offer a guarantee that it will pass as it is may not be possible to have the new test done before its due.
    In this case, I would walk away. What if the car has a tricky emissions problem when it comes to test time, the guys you buy it off may not be capable of fixing it and may not be too willing to pay someone else to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

it seems to be quite hard for some people to get the rip off instinct out of their systm

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Ya if the NCT is currently expired, then there is no reason why there should not do it before purchase. If however there was an NCT with only a few months left on it, sometimes garages will offer a guarantee that it will pass as it is may not be possible to have the new test done before its due.
    In this case, I would walk away. What if the car has a tricky emissions problem when it comes to test time, the guys you buy it off may not be capable of fixing it and may not be too willing to pay someone else to do it.

You are allowed do an NCT up to 3 months before it runs out, so if an NCT cert is up on 31st December 2008, you can have that car NCT'd three months before that date. There is no excuse for trying to sell a car without an NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Don17

Thanks for the replies lads.

Really like the car but i'm just gonna walk away.
    God knows what problems it could have.

Thanks for the replies lads.

Really like the car but i'm just gonna walk away.
    God knows what problems it could have.

If ye really like the car OP and the price is right, just put the situation backto them, say you'll buy it if they get it NCT'd. I imagine they will up their game pretty quickly when you say you won't be buying it without an NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Don17

On a side note to the garages complaining of no car sales, my mate has called in to a few main dealerships ( I won't mention them ) to get quotes for a new car but they have been fairly non interested in his business and most haven't even returned his calls

have they met there quota for the year or something like that?
    If they sell too many this year does it look bad for next year?

The mind boggles

On a side note to the garages complaining of no car sales, my mate has called in to a few main dealerships ( I won't mention them ) to get quotes for a new car but they have been fairly non interested in his business and most haven't even returned his calls

The mind boggles

He was probably trying to trade in and I don't know any dealerships taking trade ins now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is this the norm??

Thanks

That is exactly what would probably happen. The way the market is at the moment that garage will not be in business long with a policy of selling a used car without an NCT. If there is nothing major wrong with the car they should be happy to NCT it as a condition of the sale. It only costs €50 and a hour to do.

To be honest I would walk at this stage, if they are not willing to NCT the car then you may get faced with the same agro getting them to fix any warranty issues too.

The mind boggles

If he has a trade-in then he might as well have aids or some other contagous disease. They simply don't want them as they have their own stock that they cannot sell either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I seem to recall that there was thread about this only a little while ago. There it was suggested (and I can see the point) that if a dealer NCTs a car when he puts it on his forecourt then at present a fair bit of the NCT duration of validity could be lost before he sells it. Alternatively, he could only NCT it when someone has made a provisional offer, but then in my area, for example, the waiting list for NCTs is six weeks. So that wouldn't work. A way that would work is if NCTS got their act together to eliminate waiting times, and if they allocated a number of slots to registered dealers to be available on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Is this the norm??

Thanks

It does seem a little suspect that they won't NCT it themselves esp. considering its going for its first test ( or if it has already got tested and failed)

Surely an '04 car can't have a whole lot wrong with it. Best to get a mechanic you can trust to have a look at it for definite.

Otherwise as the others say, walk away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Is this the norm??

Thanks

all I'll say is the last time I was told something like that it turned into a massive thread in the motors forum and me down a fair chunk of cash to get the car fixed up for an NCT.

If you do go ahead with the sale make sure you get the NCT gaurentee written down on the receipt. then there will be no probs IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ART6 wrote: »
    I seem to recall that there was thread about this only a little while ago. There it was suggested (and I can see the point) that if a dealer NCTs a car when he puts it on his forecourt then at present a fair bit of the NCT duration of validity could be lost before he sells it. Alternatively, he could only NCT it when someone has made a provisional offer, but then in my area, for example, the waiting list for NCTs is six weeks. So that wouldn't work. A way that would work is if NCTS got their act together to eliminate waiting times, and if they allocated a number of slots to registered dealers to be available on demand.

That would be true if the NCT was valid for exactly 2 years from the date of testing which isn't necessarily the case:
    http://www.ncts.ie/faq.html
    Test Certificates will be valid for up to 2 years (from the date the test is due to the registration anniversary date two years later).
    Therefore the NCT is only valid up to the next renewal date regardless of when the cert was obtained so no excuse for the OP's dealer unless they actually want to lose the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I seem to recall that there was thread about this only a little while ago. There it was suggested (and I can see the point) that if a dealer NCTs a car when he puts it on his forecourt then at present a fair bit of the NCT duration of validity could be lost before he sells it.
    This makes no sense, the NCT is valid for two years from the due date, not the test date.
    Alternatively, he could only NCT it when someone has made a provisional offer, but then in my area, for example, the waiting list for NCTs is six weeks. So that wouldn't work. A way that would work is if NCTS got their act together to eliminate waiting times, and if they allocated a number of slots to registered dealers to be available on demand.
    Another way that would work is for dealers to wake up and NCT their stock as necessary.

Advertisement