Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal or Illegal (sorry im sure this has been posted before)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

b1ackr0se wrote: »
    Hopefully! Its something i have been interested in for a long time.
    My only issue is keeping the firearm at the house. My friend has offere to keep it in his safe for me. I would just be afraid of the kid... soon to be kids getting curious or even a break in!

You have to keep it in your own house in a safe preferrably and 'broken' (bolt out for rifle, action dismantled for a shotgun). Unless your friend gets a licence for your firearm as well, then he can keep it in his safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

J.R. wrote: »
    It's a long time now since I've applied for a licence but I thought 2 landowners permissions were required.

My area is/was three farmers (I think owning 40+ acres) signatures, now I think they are leaning towards membership of the local gun and/or an authorised range/club, which will/might restrict numbers able to get a firearm in time (another cute move on behalf of the local Super :rolleyes:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

See, the thing is, airsoft is fairly new to this country, and airsofters are wary of it getting a bad reputation before it's had a chance to even develop. That's why they take great care not to refer to them as "weapons" or "firearms", we'd like as few articles in the Herald as possible. :D

I can understand you not wanting to have articles in the papers but what do you expect when your people are advertising your "weapons" like this?

weapon.jpg

or this

swat.jpg

See how it looks to the ill informed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭b1ackr0se

Jesus!

I have an xbox game with people in it just like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

foxhunter wrote: »
    You cannot shoot any animal with an airsoft rifle or pistol .
    These are toys and are no way related to real guns .
    If you want to hunt squirell or rabbit or whatever you would have to buy a real shotgun or rifle from a firearms dealer .
    before taking the gun out of the shop you would have to apply to your local garda station for a licence to use a gun .If you were approved to have a licence for a firearm then you can pick it up and start using it wherever you have permission to do so.

I think there is some confusion here. Yes you cannot shoot animals with airsoft as they are not powerful enough. However you do not require a "real" firearm to hunt the animals you mention either. You CAN purchase a high powered AIR rifle - (this is totally different to airsoft). This weapon/rifle does require a licence exactly the same as a firearm. The ammunition it uses does not use gunpowder - it's simply a powerful air rifle. so there is an option there if you don't want to have the responsibility of a full fledged gun :) - don't own one myself, a lot of my farming relations do, I just don't really want one in me gaff - too scary ;)

• Advertisement

Thats is my main concern jim!

I have one little boy and another baby on the way and I remember how curious I was when I was younger.

Im trying to get information on joining Courtlough at them moment. From what i know already they have a facility for locking your gun in there premises.

This would be very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

jim o doom wrote: »
    I think there is some confusion here. Yes you cannot shoot animals with airsoft as they are not powerful enough. However you do not require a "real" firearm to hunt the animals you mention either. You CAN purchase a high powered AIR rifle - (this is totally different to airsoft). This weapon/rifle does require a licence exactly the same as a firearm. The ammunition it uses does not use gunpowder - it's simply a powerful air rifle. so there is an option there if you don't want to have the responsibility of a full fledged gun :) - don't own one myself, a lot of my farming relations do, I just don't really want one in me gaff - too scary ;)

I understand what you are saying Jim but In the eyes of the law in Ireland, an air rifle IS a real firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Vegeta wrote: »
    I understand what you are saying Jim but In the eyes of the law in Ireland, an air rifle IS a real firearm.

Yeah - but in terms of danger they really are not the same thing at all - in terms of how lethal they are to larger animals/people, and in terms of lethal distance - a good .22 can be lethal for up to a kilometre.. not many (licence requiring) air rifles would be up to that. And I did state in my post a licence is required. I would consider a regular rifle considerably more dangerous than a hunting air rifle.. I know what the law states - I was just trying to clarify the position - to show that you can hunt with a "less dangerous" item - regardless of what the law thinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

See how it looks to the ill informed?

I do, and I appreciate that, and generally airsofters take care to present a responsible image of the sport but yes, I can see why that looks a bit weird from the outside.

The soldier-y gear is a matter of personal preference to a large extent, (lol @ Alien Vs. Predator guy...) but it does have a practical application - the mask is required to protect your eyes, the camo stops you getting seen, and the boots stop you hurting your ankles when you're fleeing from the opposition like an especially effeminite startled baby deer. I have also recently learned to love the kneepad. Oh, kneepad, how I wish I'd met you sooner.

"Weapon" suggests a piece of equipment specifically designed to injure. Airsoft stuff isn't made to injure anyone or anything except pride. Airsofters are a bit antsy about terminoloy is all, I just wanted b1ackr0se to know why the distinction was pointed out, it wasn't just to mock his newbieness or anything. :)

• Advertisement

Jill Valentine - i understand where your coming from and didnt feel i was being hopped on :)

As i said im new to this but have always been interested in it so please excuse some slip ups when i may say something and mean something else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Alright, but if Joe Duffy is in my garden yelling that I'm a terrorist tomorrow, I'm blaming you. :D

HAHA!!! excellent!

Just go out and have a chat to him dressed like elmer fud and mis-pronounce your R's and explain that you are not a tewwowist and you should be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

jim o doom wrote: »
    Yeah - but in terms of danger they really are not the same thing at all - in terms of how lethal they are to larger animals/people, and in terms of lethal distance - a good .22 can be lethal for up to a kilometre.. not many (licence requiring) air rifles would be up to that. And I did state in my post a licence is required. I would consider a regular rifle considerably more dangerous than a hunting air rifle.. I know what the law states - I was just trying to clarify the position - to show that you can hunt with a "less dangerous" item - regardless of what the law thinks :)

And I don't disagree with you at all, was just pointing out that if you fcuk around with an air rifle don't expect to get off lighter because its an air rifle.

I have a 30ft/lb PCP and honestly it scares the sh1t out of me how powerful (and accurate) it is for an air rifle

Firearms offences carry pretty hefty mandatory minimums now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Vegeta wrote: »
    I have a 30ft/lb PCP and honestly it scares the sh1t out of me how powerful (and accurate) it is for an air rifle

+1 on this one.
    I dont know what sort of kinetic energy is needed to give a lethal head wound to a human but here is my experience. My weihrauch drives a .22 pellet about 30mm into a sleeper at point blank. I can drive a 5" nail roughly the same depth in the same timber with a good whack of a hammer. So being shot in the head at close range with an air rifle is roughly equivalent to getting a good whack of a hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

:Dhttp://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/operational-policing/firearms-handbook.pdf?view=Binary

look at this document on the BASC website and have a copy on the table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

:Dhttp://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/operational-policing/firearms-handbook.pdf?view=Binary[/url]

look at this document on the BASC website and have a copy on the table

Can't log in?

Advertisement