Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees at wellpark.

Options
  • 06-11-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I was driving up the Monivea road at lunch time today, and saw that two lovely old tree were being cut down, just to make the enterance to Wellpark estate a bit wider. Seems a pity to lose two mature trees just to take a minute or two off the daily commute!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I was driving up the Monivea road at lunch time today, and saw that two lovely old tree were being cut down, just to make the enterance to Wellpark estate a bit wider. Seems a pity to lose two mature trees just to take a minute or two off the daily commute!
    This was in the news months back and I think the trees were diagnosed to be a hazard due to their age and danger of falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sgthighway wrote: »
    This was in the news months back and I think the trees were diagnosed to be a hazard due to their age and danger of falling.

They are being removed to facilitate widening the Monivea Road, not the entrance to the estate. Thats what it said in the paper anyway. AFAIK there is nothing wrong with the trees at all, but they might claim that to have an excuse to fell them...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You've never crawled down Monivea Rd / Wellpark at peak time have you.

Two trees will do nice things for the planet. Reducing idling-in-traffic time for a couple of hundred cars by 5 minutes per day for, say, 30 days per year will do good things for the planet too. I can't say which will be best for the built environment ... but ... it's not all that simple. Twould have been best if someone had done some planning before the trees were ever planted, but that's probably asking a bit too much ;-)

Advertisement