Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being charged to downgrade service

Options
  • 06-11-2008 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

UPC have informed me that it'll cost money to downgrade my service. They tell me that all other providers charge the same and that their charge is the cheapest.

They claim 10 euro, they say BT charge 35, eircom charge 30 and Digiweb 25.

Say this isn't so? A charge to downgrade your package - this has to be a joke.

Right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Randi

UPC have informed me that it'll cost money to downgrade my service. They tell me that all other providers charge the same and that their charge is the cheapest.

Right?

They charged me too to downgrade, €10. eircom never charge people to downgrade their package. I dont think bt or digiweb do either. its robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Randi wrote: »
    I dont think bt or digiweb do either.

I would be tending to disagree with that one.
    Digiweb DO charge. I'm pretty sure BT do as well but not as sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Scoti

IrishTLR wrote: »
    I would be tending to disagree with that one.
    Digiweb DO charge. I'm pretty sure BT do as well but not as sure.

Eircom charges all ISPs with a downgrade fee. Normally, an ISP will not charge a customer as long as the contract is over the minimum term, even though Eircom wholesale will do anyway.

I suppose UPC uses a similar process (although they are not dependant of Eircom). If you are on a LLU Exchange (Smart, Magnet, BT) they might be able to bypass this charge as they downgrading you doesnt cost them a thing.

The other reason why they could charge you is when you are within min contract period and you want to downgrade your package, normally you will need to wait for it to finish before you can downgrade or modify your package, as otherwise you will be breaking the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Right?

Tis true, and also they do have the lowest charge (of those who have a charged) BT is highest i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Scoti wrote: »

I suppose UPC uses a similar process (although they are not dependant of Eircom). If you are on a LLU Exchange (Smart, Magnet, BT) they might be able to bypass this charge as they downgrading you doesnt cost them a thing.

just off the phone with Magnet, they're downgrading me automatically at no extra cost since my line cant take the full 24 meg. I wonder how many other providers would automatically do this for you!

i know it might seem rediculous when it comes to broadband, but most mobile operators enforce a charge if you downgrade within 3 months of upgrading. usually this prevents people signing up for a higher package to take advantage of a special offer (free routers etc) then downgrading the next month.

Are ntl doing any specials on their higher packages that arn't availble for the lower ones? this might explain the charge. but if your with them 6 months+ then your right, its a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Randi wrote: »
    eircom never charge people to downgrade their package.

Yes they do. Wholesale and retail, both charge. I know retail don't always charge, but they definitely have charged some people I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Scoti

just off the phone with Magnet, they're downgrading me automatically at no extra cost since my line cant take the full 24 meg. I wonder how many other providers would automatically do this for you!

Any ISP will do that for free. If downgrade is for technical reasons of course. BT, Eircom and any decent ISP will have to waive the downgrade fee in cases like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭e21man

Just to put my 2 cents in here i wanted to downgrade from 7.6mb 60euro service to 3mb 50euro sevice from imagine due to been unable to go any higher than 3mb with my inadequate line i called up asking to downgrade i was told i could for free but i would have to start a whole new 12 month contract to be honest id rather pay 10 euro than start a new 12 month contract as i am moving to digiweb whenever i hopefully pass my site survey so imagine do it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sailorfoley

thanks for all the replies. Ive been with ntl for approx 15 months so not happy with them over this. Robbing gits.

Advertisement