Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish COTY 2009 Shortlist announced

Options
  • 06-11-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Opinions? Seems a pretty poor shortlist.
    Shortlist for Semperit Irish Car of the Year announced

The shortlist for the Semperit Irish Car of the Year has been announced by the Irish Motor Writers’ Association. This year’s awards will feature five category winners and one overall Semperit Irish Car of the Year title winner.

The new category awards are as follows:

Semperit Irish Small Car of the Year
    Semperit Irish Family Car of the Year
    Semperit Irish MPV of the Year
    Semperit Irish Luxury / Sport Car of the Year
    Semperit Irish SUV / Crossover of the Year

The shortlist in alphabetical order comprises:

Citroen Berlingo Multi-Space
    Citroen C5
    Ford Fiesta
    Ford Kuga
    Jaguar XF
    Mazda6
    Renault Grand Modus
    Seat Ibiza
    Volkswagen Passat CC
    Volvo XC60

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd really like to see the C5 get some recognition. IMHO one of the most interesting designs of recent years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

+ 1

or Fiesta, making small cars desirable is a move in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I like the Kuga. I really do. I know a lot of people have really been knocking it, but I've driven it, and I think it works well for what it is. Herself's half thinking of getting one, but I'm pursuading her to hold on for the MINI Crossman. For me to drive of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Isn't "herself's half" you? :D

... never mind the line break caused a mental stop ...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

No Opel Insignia or Skoda Superb, despite both being on the European COTY shortlist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

C5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

I too would like to see the C5 get a prize.

Really good design, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭SomeDude

The XF is a fine car. The same lad that designed it did the the Aston Martin DB9 and Jaguar XK - so Jag really couldn't go wrong. The interior is not half bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

+ 1

or Fiesta, making small cars desirable is a move in the right direction.

True, my mothers 2008 fiesta is an absolute $hitbox. It sounds like a remote controlled car...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

How about adding a poll to this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It BeeMee wrote: »
    No Opel Insignia or Skoda Superb, despite both being on the European COTY shortlist?

If all the lists just had the same cars whats the point in having different awards? Different countries have different tastes/likes/dislikes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

When they're deciding what to include in the shortlist, they require the car to be on sale in Ireland.

As neither the Insignia nor the Superb are on sale yet, this is why they are not included.

The Insignia isn't being launched until the first week in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Volvo XC60????!

Ok, how much money was paid to whoever made this 'list'..?

This list makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

EPM wrote: »
    I'd really like to see the C5 get some recognition. IMHO one of the most interesting designs of recent years
    C5
    cashmni1 wrote: »
    I too would like to see the C5 get a prize.

Really good design, imo.

O for pitys sake:rolleyes:!

It's heavily based on a 4 year old model (Peugeot 407), is overweight and has terrible CO2 figures for a car launched in 2008. Also, I don't remember any road testers stating it had anywhere near the dynamic abilities of rivals such as the Mondeo. O and it's a Citroen:P! You can for forget your Traction Avants and DSs and CXs - these days that means the pile-em-high-sell-em-cheap, zero-per-cent finance/cashback quasi-budget brand of the PSA group! In this category the Mazda6 whips it's ass.

If the Fiesta is as good as they say it probably deserves the nod (although it's really just Fords version of the excellent Mazda2)

(I guess my Mazda bias is coming out a bit:o...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

If it were based on looks alone, I would definitely go for the C5. It's absolutely stunning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

pburns wrote: »
    O for pitys sake:rolleyes:!

It's heavily based on a 4 year old model (Peugeot 407), is overweight and has terrible CO2 figures for a car launched in 2008. Also, I don't remember any road testers stating it had anywhere near the dynamic abilities of rivals such as the Mondeo. O and it's a Citroen:P! You can for forget your Traction Avants and DSs and CXs - these days that means the pile-em-high-sell-em-cheap, zero-per-cent finance/cashback quasi-budget brand of the PSA group! In this category the Mazda6 whips it's ass.

If the Fiesta is as good as they say it probably deserves the nod (although it's really just Fords version of the excellent Mazda2)

(I guess my Mazda bias is coming out a bit:o...)
    Ok you don't like the c5 then.
    I thinks it is beautiful.
    I also know that the 1.6 hdi is the wrong powerplant to have in a heavy car, hence poor (bad) co2 figrues.
    I wouldn't be so quick to say that the mazda whips its ass either.
    In what departments? Looks....I (personally) think not. Handeling....doubt it. Performance....yes. mainly due to the wrong powerplant being in the car.
    Anyway, as for finance, Citroen have this finance package across the board.
    Not that it means anything anway, because its a Citroen, right?
    A bad reputatiuon is what Citroen are dealing with in Ireland. Everyone seems to think that an Alfa Romeo or Citroen will disolve in the rain in Ireland and only Toyotas and VAG products are any good in this country.
    Why? Because thats the way it is.....here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

Thought the mondeo would be in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

oddone wrote: »
    Thought the mondeo would be in there.

The mondeo was launched last year so it could'nt be in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

The XF is the best car on the list, a bold new design by Jaguar and the nicest interior on the market, but it wont win, Jags arent very popular in Ireland and is it a wonder with the dealers.
    Of the rest I like the new C5, fantastic looking car, but will it have French build quality?
    The judges will play it safe and go for the Fiesta, which seems to be a nice little car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I'd like to see a premium car win CoTY for a change. The Jaguar XF would probably do it for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement