Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cillian Sheridan

• 06-11-2008 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Has he been in recent Ireland squads.

I reckon Sheridan + Delap's Throws would be an awesome secret weapon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Bring back Gary Doherty too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

No don't think he has been in any senior squads yet. Is he that good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Kingp35 wrote: »
    No don't think he has been in any senior squads yet. Is he that good?

Won a fair few headers vs ManU last night.

tbh, if he's good enough to be playing in the CL for Celtic, he should be in every Ireland squad.

Without people questioning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Would he be there without the injury crisis?

He looked alright against United last night, but he didn't ever look like scoring...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Des wrote: »

Would defo be a good option to have alright but in fairness he has very little experience as of yet, but he proved last night that he can be a real handfull

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Yes, especially against defenses that are poor from high ball/set pieces. Not sure if there are any teams like this in ireland's group? :confused: I don't think so. Darly Murphy is way under rated imo. Hes going to loss at Sunderland.

You can see that Sheridan is on the Celtic team for 2 things; long ball hold up and high ball striking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

If he was that good why wouldnt he be playing for some mid table premiership team? :pac:

He does seem like a hell of a prospect, but to be fair to the lad he has only just broken into the Celtic team oer the last couple of weeks due to injuries to key players.

Give the lad a chance at club level before throwing him to the wolves that support Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Bring back Gary Doherty too.

Leave Doc out of this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Exactly, give him a few months of regular first team football and a few u21 games before you start declaring him the new Quinner.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote: »
    Give the lad a chance at club level before throwing him to the wolves that support Ireland.

A hattrick at Ibrox. That'll do it. :D

• Advertisement

Des discussing Irelands national team shocker!!

Em, good idea in theory but I don't think we have enough big men to make use of this tbh. Folan, Dunne and maybe Doyler at a stretch, that's about it.

Zizu Kilbane, O'Shea, Ste Kelly's not bad in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PauloMN wrote: »
    A hattrick at Ibrox. That'll do it. :D

But he doesnt play for Dundee Utd........:o

Seaneh wrote: »
    Zizu Kilbane, O'Shea, Ste Kelly's not bad in the air.

Kelly doesn't usually start and you can't move the whole defense up front, especially when you are playing counter attacking football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

tbh, if he's good enough to be playing in the CL for Celtic, he should be in every Ireland squad.

Without people questioning it.
    Oh really. We shouldn't question the fact, even though he is playing for an injury ravaged second rate team in a second rate league (SPL), he should automatically be placed in the Irish squad. Give over. We are ok in the strikers department at the moment, give the lad some regular football before making such claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Delap shouldn't be near an Irish first xi. Bill mentioned it on RTE last night and the 3 lads broke their bollix laughing at him.

podge018 wrote: »
    Delap shouldn't be near an Irish first xi. Bill mentioned it on RTE last night and the 3 lads broke their bollix laughing at him.

So, when they break their bollix about Delap, they are right, but when they slaughter Ronaldo or Gerrard, they are wrong

:confused::confused::confused:

Aidric wrote: »
    Oh really. We shouldn't question the fact, even though he is playing for an injury ravaged second rate team in a second rate league (SPL), he should automatically be placed in the Irish squad. Give over. We are ok in the strikers department at the moment, give the lad some regular football before making such claims.

Have you seen some of the shi*e that have been in some of the Ireland squads lately

This thread is about Sheridan, bump the Delap thread if you want to talk about him.

Delap shouldn't be near an Irish first xi. Bill mentioned it on RTE last night and the 3 lads broke their bol*ix laughing at him.

Oh well if the three lads said so then thats the end of the arguement :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So, when they break their bollix about Delap, they are right, but when they slaughter Ronaldo or Gerrard, they are wrong

:confused::confused::confused:

what's that got to do with anything? At least they back up their reasoning re. Ronaldo or Gerrard with footage, or points of view, wrong or not.

They just laughed at Bill last night. He's nowhere near good enough. It would be a ridiculous step backwards tactically. That long throw in is school-boy stuff.

That long throw in is school-boy stuff.

It worked pretty well against Arsenal and Aston Villa, are they schoolboy sides :confused:

Seaneh wrote: »
    This thread is about Sheridan, bump the Delap thread if you want to talk about him.

From the o.p. they come hand in hand, no?

If you want to talk about Sheridan, no, he shouldn't be in the Irish set-up..... yet.

Gareth37 wrote: »
    It worked pretty well against Arsenal and Aston Villa, are they schoolboy sides :confused:

no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

No they didn't. :confused:

Dunphy said he should be in the squad. The other two disagreed but didn't laugh at him. How can you laugh at a guy who has been giving Premiership defences nightmares?

Delap + Sheridan would be fine by me.

It was tongue in cheek Nice Guy, he ended up throwing his arms in the air shouting "Bombs away!!!". There's no way he believes Delap should play for Ireland. But my point wasn't well if Dunphy says so then it's true, I think Dunphy is a clown, my point was they didn't even give it the time of day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was tongue in cheek Nice Guy, he ended up throwing his arms in the air shouting "Bombs away!!!". There's no way he believes Delap should play for Ireland. But my point wasn't well if Dunphy says so then it's true, I think Dunphy is a clown, my point was they didn't even give it the time of day.

It didn't seem tongue-in-cheek to me. The 'bombs away' comment was him having a bit of a laugh alright but to begin with Bill asked 'Delap for Ireland' and Dunphy replied 'Yes, why not?'

They did give it the time of day because Giles went on about how it's an effective weapon but he didn't see it working in our system.

You make it sound like it was a big joke amongst them which it wasn't. They did debate it.

And do you always take on board the opinions of ''a clown'' or are you not capable of thinkin for yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Sheridan looks a fine player, has the qualities of a target man, but is quick enough and has reasonably good control and touch. He needs to be considered, but I would still have Keane and Doyle ahead of him.

• Advertisement

And do you always take on board the opinions of ''a clown'' or are you not capable of thinkin for yourself?

I didn't even take on his opinions this time so what on earth are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

"I don't think I can get too caught up in it all. There are three big players to come back; Sami, Jan and Killen and they are well ahead of me.

I don't think that I have done myself any harm over the past few weeks but I know that I got my chance because of the injury situation.

There is a lot of work for me to do and even in the second half, I really felt as though I was struggling a bit with my fitness. That's just one thing that I have to improve on, but there's a lot more.

It was a fantastic experience but I know that if I want to have more nights like that then I still have a fair bit of work to do."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I defintely think he should be in with the senior squad for training at least, give him a run out in friendly games, ease him into it.

Honestly lads our under 21s could do with him for the next couple of years, his day will come for the seniors but not any time soon.

I think Givens first choice midfield and attack for the U21s is something like:

O'Toole --- Garvan --- McCarthy
    --- Scannell
    Sheridan
    Treacy ----

Not bad at all.

eirebhoy wrote: »

--- Scannell
    Sheridan
    Treacy ----

Not bad at all.

Why don't they win any matches then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Des posts about Celtic and there's no bile or hatred in the post? Fantastic!!!

Sheridan has not shown anywhere near enough to be considered for a full Irish cap.

Don Givens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What's the story with O'Dea?

I don't follow Celtic, but I thought he played superbly in their CL run a while back. He came off the bench midweek, but are there any signs of him progressing?

What's the story with O'Dea?

I don't follow Celtic, but I thought he played superbly in their CL run a while back. He came off the bench midweek, but are there any signs of him progressing?

Not really, he could do with a move south, barring injuries he doesn't get his game at Celtic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Him and Delap for Poland I say. Why play Robbie? He will do what he always does- scores in friendlies giving false hope he will be ferocious in the next competitives.

• Advertisement

Robbie shouldn't play against Poland.

Neither should Given, Finnan, Dunne, O'Shea, Duff, McGeady or Doyle.

The result doesn't matter.

giving "junior" players, and Andy Reid, a game does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Robbie shouldn't play against Poland.

Neither should Given, Finnan, Dunne, O'Shea, Duff, McGeady or Doyle.

The result doesn't matter.

giving "junior" players, and Andy Reid, a game does.

I find it pointless leaving out players who are going to play in the competitive matches. Make 2 or 3 changes at most just to see how the new players fit in playing with players like keane etc

What if there's an injury.

He should play fringe players to get them used to the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

eirebhoy wrote: »

--- Scannell
    Sheridan
    Treacy ----

Not bad at all.

But it's Givens. That's the problem. He's a muck manager.

Givens OUT!

O'Toole has only gone 20, Treacy too has only gone 20, McCarthy is 17, Garvan 20, Scannell 18, Sheridan 19.

Most of the players that'll be playing in the U21 championships would be 21-22. Because we got knocked out early enough Givens decided to play the above players in the last couple of games in the previous campaign. They drew 2-2 in Portugal against players mainly a few years older than them.

We'll see but if they're all fit and don't get promoted to the seniors that's as good a fantastic 6 players for the U21s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Beans_On

SantryRed wrote: »
    But it's Givens. That's the problem. He's a muck manager.

Givens OUT!

Bring back Brian Kerr!?!:D

Advertisement