Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[US] DollHouse [** Spoilers **] (Renewed!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Taking bets on Summer Glau making an appearance in season 2, especially now since she's likely to be unemployed otherwise :(

Fox are now square with Joss Whedon, they've really made a big turn around from the Fox-that-was a few years back.

Delighted about this, gonna get me season one on BluRay now and cant wait to see this 13th episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

This is quite fantastic. :D

I'm surprised we've had no comment from Richard yet, it's not as if he was up late last night watching an episode. I think when he heard the news he must have fainted plain away.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think its the first Friday night in a long time where Richard went to bed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Either that or he passed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Maybe he doesn't know yet...
    It has only been 8 hours or so since the announcement - I'm sure we'll hear from him soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Amy Acker's pilot show "Happy Town" just got picked up by ABC to go into production, so I'm guessing we won't be seeing much of Whiskey on "Dollhouse" next season - if we see her at all...
    It's a shame, but "Happy Town" looks like it'll be good anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!.....i party'd like it was 1999 :-)
    Brilliant news....Fox has finally done something right...my guess is Joss has got some crazy ass story lines and pushing a definate arc and direction for season 2.

The other good point is Fox now seem to undertand the direction of the show, they dictated episode 1-5 and then let Joss have hisshow back, thus i guess they can now see HIS ideas and direction are much better then Fox's.

Yeah i kinda thought Amy Acker would be leaving, my guess is...she'll kill herself (Whiskey/Saunders) in episode 1 or 2 and then Victor will take over as the new doctor.
    Hapyy times......... :-)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a156124/report-dollhouse-renewed-for-second-season.html

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a155649/olivia-williams-dollhouse.html

I ordered my DVD from the US...from what i read it seems the unaired episode 13 may have swayed things, it seems this episode gives context to the overall arc and true intent of the Dollhouse...it seems it has much wider, global implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

\o/ Great news!

Fair dues to Fox for taking a chance...but in the end it did come down to money, budget for series 2 drastically slashed....it appears that another reason why Joss showed the execs. the unaired 13th episode was to show them how an episode could be made on the cheap, but still be great viewing.

Apparently they shot on digital cameras and kept it limited by using already paid for sets etc., but from now on it's upto Wheadon to make or break this show.

He HAS to write kick ass scripts and try build a hardcore fanbase, the average viewer will never find Dollhouse appealing. It's subject matter is just too off puting for most people and it also requires the viewer to have more then a few working brain cells.

So you can't blame Fox anymore if it tanks further, either it holds it's audience numbers or can keep an average of 4m per episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Great unexpected news. So no shows lost from the schedules for me this year.

If Wheadon has any sense he'll enlist Summer Glau as a doll ASAP!!!...let's face it...loads of fanboys tuned in to Terminator JUST to see her. It would be a major coup if they could sign her as a Doll.....also, if they want to save money they could lose Dushku as an actor on the show and hire Glau for less money and she'd still be Echo.

Dushku is better off behind the scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

So you can't blame Fox anymore

But, but... blaming FOX is a fundamental part of b*tching about things online - whatever will we do without that old chestnut? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

loads of fanboys tuned in to Terminator JUST to see her.

I think you're only speaking for yourself there :p

I don't see any point replacing Dushku with her, as she's equally awful at acting, if not worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Woo! Thanks for letting us know. I thought this show was gone for good. Hopefully they'll make a good effort with season 2. This show has a lot of potential as seen in the later episodes.

I'm not as bothered with Terminator being axed - although the best episodes were probably better than the best dollhouse - but there were just too many episodes where it's a chore to watch. I suppose every episode can't be action, but they could keep the viewers awake.

Anyway, hopefully we'll see whiskey in season 2. Surely she can spare time for ~13 episodes.

What the?....how did we get bumped off the first page?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I blame you.

Wouldn't be a problem if we had our own forum... ;)

http://io9.com/5257353/welcome-to-the-all+new-all+different-dollhouse

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2009/05/a-good-day-for-dolls-and-docs-dollhouse-scrubs-renewed.html

"Also, British viewers? Here's where you get to have the jump on the Americans - Sci Fi UK have announced that they plan to show "Epitaph One" at the end of the first season, as intended. Don't gloat too much"

Woo Hoo!!

Oh!...dare we dream of a Dollhouse forum??

• Advertisement

Oh!...dare we dream of a Dollhouse forum??

It'd be fantastic - a thread on each character, a thread on each episode, a quotes thread - it'd be well worth it.
    Make it happen, Richard - write a proposal to wow the admins, just like Joss made a proposal that won over fox...

Maybe the Firefly & Serenity forum should be changed to a Joss Whedon Forum? Atm he isn't doing much with the Firefly universe, but he is currently working on Dollhouse, Buffy/Angel/Spike comics, a follow-up to Dr Horrible, two movies, The Cabin in the Woods and Goners and he also writes comics for Marvel and DC. So it would definitely be a busy forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

iguana wrote: »
    Maybe the Firefly & Serenity forum should be changed to a Joss Whedon Forum? Atm he isn't doing much with the Firefly universe, but he is currently working on Dollhouse, Buffy/Angel/Spike comics, a follow-up to Dr Horrible, two movies, The Cabin in the Woods and Goners and he also writes comics for Marvel and DC. So it would definitely be a busy forum.

A nice thought but it would open up the door to people wanting forums for every other producer with a substantial body of work, although I'd love to see the types of discussions you'd get in a Michael Bay forum :D

That's a great idea - and it would definitely be a busy forum. All it would take is a change in the name. Do we suggest this in the Forums forum or must we go elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Go to the forums forum and suggest it there. Get enough support and it'll get through. I'll give it a +1, its a good idea.

robby^5 wrote: »
    A nice thought but it would open up the door to people wanting forums for every other producer with a substantial body of work, although I'd love to see the types of discussions you'd get in a Michael Bay forum :D

wanting and getting are two different things. The Whedon forum would be including four cult tv shows - one of which is currently on the air, so it would be a good idea - whereas a Michael Bay forum wouldn't get much traffic, as it would only include films.

Ok, suggested the Joss Whedon forum over in the Forums thread. Here's the link;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60285701#post60285701

Anyone know how to make one of the signature clickies, like the Angry Bastards Forum or the House Forum one I've currently got? We could have a Support the Joss Whedon forum...

Darn Captain Negative, I suggested it just after you. Still it will make the forum seem like a really popular idea.:D

Threads are here; http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60285721#post60285721 and http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055567208 (I'm sure they'll be merged soon) so add your support.

Sorry Iguana - didn't know you had headed off to suggest it as well. But you're right, it will look good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

:eek:Wow, was not expecting that. I'd have preferred another season of T:TSCC but this is still very good news.

I'm a little wary about talks of budget cuts, reduced running time (50 to 42 minutes) and a creative shift (good if it's JW under control). Anyone know any more about this?

It's a cost cutting exercise...it dosen't mean the quality of the acting or the writing will be worse. It just means we'll see less outside footage being shot or new sets being built. They'll probably shoot more within the already built and paid for Dollhouse set. In addition it seems they might shoot more on digital cameras. Perhaps some of the staff took paycuts etc.

Going from 49-43 mins is not a huge biggie and will save a bit, though it was nice having those extra few minutes as they could flesh things out more. The creative shift could mean a number of things and not all bad, Joss now has total control and Fox will leave him alone. But it could also mean more handheld digital camera shot material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

http://scifiwire.com/2009/05/fox-execs-explain-why-the.php

fox execs explaining why they renewed dollhouse and not TSCC

i especially loved:

Reilly added. "In fact, I venture to say that if we had put new shows on Friday night, in particular there'd probably be a lot of cynicism about 'Well, wait, ... you're creating an entire new night of television?' Not to mention if we'd canceled Joss' show I'd probably have 110 million e-mails this morning from the fans," he said with a laugh. "So that's exactly right. Bet on something that has a core that you believe can work."

Looks like they learnt there lesson from cancelling firefly - the funny thing is if fans go on and on for long enough they sometimes get what they want like the movie serenity and jericho season 2 - Thing with jericho was fans sent nuts - a physical product to the studio which is harder to dismiss than e-mails or letters.

So if they cancelled dollhouse would you start mailing fox ? and what would you mail to them?

I wonder if the browncoats had spent the last few years sending fox stuff would they change their mind and rebuild the sets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

User45701 wrote: »
    fox execs explaining why they renewed dollhouse and not TSCC

TSCC isn't cancelled... edit my mistake appears it has been dropped by fox just recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

Quite frankly I'm stunned that this got renewed. How is it that shows like this get a second chance and they go and cancel Firefly in all its excellence? Its like we're living in topsy turvy land :pac:

• Advertisement

Fox learned from the Firefly debacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

For anyone who's interested, it starts on Sci Fi tonight at 9

Cheers for the heads up Matrim....gonna watch the series again. FYI....Epitaph One is going to be broadcast in Singapore soon, or Sweden also....but apparently sources suggest the episode will leak on the net rather quickly.

Woot!...just watched the first episode on UK Sci-Fi :-)
    We must keep an eye on the UK ratings to see how it does each weak, where would one access such information?

i think you have to wait a few days but then just google it thats what i did for I.T crowd ra ratings uk

i know your more into dollhouse than i am so post asap when you come accross epitaph one plse :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

dvd sales a movie?

User45701 wrote: »
    i know your more into dollhouse than i am so post asap when you come accross epitaph one plse :)

I don't know what you're talking about. Richard isn't that into Dollhouse.:p

I don't know what you're talking about. Richard isn't that into Dollhouse.:p

sorry my bad - i must have quoted the wrong post :)

Dollhouse got 263k viewers on Sci-Fi and 76k more on timeshift. Did better than the Prison Break finale on Sky 1, but compares poorly, for instance, to Lost getting 800k on Sunday for its finale.

Dollhouse got 263k viewers on Sci-Fi and 76k more on timeshift. Did better than the Prison Break finale on Sky 1, but compares poorly, for instance, to Lost getting 800k on Sunday for its finale.

Comparing it to Lost is ridiculous. Lost has five years on Dollhouse and Sky1 is a lot more accessible than Sci-Fi, so in that regard 263k is very good, especially considering it was up against the series finale of Prison Break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That's an excellent viewing figure for Sci-Fi UK I would imagine.. 263,000 viewers is nothing to be sniffed it - especially on a "satellite station".

^ agreed, but...the UK might follow the US and numbers could drop alot considering the first 5 episodes are the weakest. Hopefully those watching will know about this fact and keep watching.

I'm sure Sc-Fi are very happy with those numbers.

Comparing it to Lost is ridiculous. Lost has five years on Dollhouse and Sky1 is a lot more accessible than Sci-Fi, so in that regard 263k is very good, especially considering it was up against the series finale of Prison Break.

And you take account of course that shows usually lose a part of their audience as they progress? Lost was getting a lot more than that on C4 when it started in the UK. So no, I don't think comparing it is ridiculous, but each to their own arrogant point of view!

And you take account of course that shows usually lose a part of their audience as they progress? Lost was getting a lot more than that on C4 when it started in the UK. So no, I don't think comparing it is ridiculous, but each to their own arrogant point of view!

You can't compare a public network to a cable network - public are always going to do better - and as for Lost - it didn't start on channel 4 until almost six months after it aired on RTÉ, which was close to the time it was finishing its first season in the states - it had much more time to be hyped up on channel 4. My point of view is not arrogant, it's just logical.

Have to agree...Sci-Fi is a minor satelitte channel, it can't be compared with Sky or C4.

• Advertisement
Advertisement