Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicking on threads in Subbed no longer takes you to last unread post

Options
  • 06-11-2008 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭

I've been noticing recently (probably only since today, I'm not sure) that clicking on a thread title on the front page, with subbed forums selected, no longer takes you to the first unread post in that thread, like it always used to, but now takes you to the first post instead.

I assume (hope) this isn't deliberate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It is deliberate. A lot of people hated the old way, particularly those who were on mobile devices (cos it meant a lot of scrolling/loading).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

seamus wrote: »
    It is deliberate. A lot of people hated the old way, particularly those who were on mobile devices (cos it meant a lot of scrolling/loading).
    :confused: That makes no sense.

Every thread I read now via the front page, I have to go through an extra mouse click (on Last>), scroll down to the end, and then scroll back,[possibly having to reload an earlier page, just to where I seem to vaguely remember reading the last post I've read.

How on earth can that be better or more efficient than just automatically positioning you at the last post you've read???

Also, why should the vast majority of users have to suffer because of a handful of people reading boards on their iPhones, or whatever?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57807861&postcount=1

Seems like you were probably one of the few who found this useful. Judging by Helpdesk threads over the last while, most people either didn't like or didn't understand it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57807861&postcount=1

Seems like you were probably one of the few who found this useful. Judging by Helpdesk threads over the last while, most people either didn't like or didn't understand it.
    In other words, pandering to the lowest common denominator by getting rid of a useful feature because some people "don't understand it". Oh dear.

Still, it would appear, although I'm not 100% convinced yet that it just doesn't take you to the last post instead of the last unread post, that you can achieve the same effect by clicking on the number of posts.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Clicking on the number provides the original function.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    In other words, pandering to the lowest common denominator by getting rid of a useful feature because some people "don't understand it". Oh dear.

Still, it would appear, although I'm not 100% convinced yet that it just doesn't take you to the last post instead of the last unread post, that you can achieve the same effect by clicking on the number of posts.
    It all depends on how you browse boards. You can't assume that everyone uses it in the same way that you do.

Plenty of people might look at boards for five minutes, then come back an hour later. That will mess with the whole "unread" thing and going to the first unread post will (from their point of view) jump to some random post in the thread. You can't justify a feature on account of it being "high-brow". I wouldn't have expected you to make an argument like that tbh.

I don't use the front page at all, but from what Cult says, the old functionality is still there, so everyone's happy.

CuLT wrote: »
    Clicking on the number provides the original function.
    Yes, I've discovered that now. I wonder what the next surprise new UI 'enhancement' will be :D

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, I've discovered that now. I wonder what the next surprise new UI 'enhancement' will be :D
    Oh my, I would never say enhancement, I mean that would imply I know what I'm doing :)

It all depends on how you browse boards. You can't assume that everyone uses it in the same way that you do.
    Neither can you :D But if you make a feature available in a UI, whether by design or by accident, then you can be pretty sure that someone, somewhere will use it. Assuming that no-one will, because you don't find it useful is a mistake.

Anyway, that's it for me, have a nice day.

Advertisement