Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cold radiator when heating is on?

Options
  • 06-11-2008 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

hi, when the heating is on every rad in the house is boiling except for 1? no air in the rad as i have tried bleeding it many times??
    any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭kaizer_soze

Check the temperature of the pipes. If the inlet is hot up till the valve, you've more than likely got a sticking valve that's sticking shut. It's easy to replace. Just turn off the supply to the radiators and from the tank. If in doubt, turn all stopcocks and valves off and use a spanner to unscrew the valve. If it's an existing thermostatic valve fitted, it should unscrew without any water coming out. If not, there will be some water on a slow flow so keep a towel wrapped around the pipe and a shallow dish under the pipe, (a painting tray is very handy for this) Change the valve with a new one costing around €12 and you should be back in business. Check that there's no air in the system now by bleeding it a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

jono,b wrote: »
    hi, when the heating is on every rad in the house is boiling except for 1? no air in the rad as i have tried bleeding it many times??
    any ideas??

If it's a thermostatic valve that has not been turned on for a while, try taking off the head and tap the pin - and it may just pop up. If not, make sure both ends are open. Then turn off all other rads and see if it heats - if it does, then balance the system by gradually closing off the lockshield valves on the other rads.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

JamesM wrote: »
    If it's a thermostatic valve that has not been turned on for a while, try taking off the head and tap the pin - and it may just pop up.

+1

Is quite common with thermostatic valves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭jono,b

I closed off all the rads in the house (flow and return) and i left the rad which is giving me trouble open, when i done this i was starting to get heat into the rad, so i balanced the system, worked fine for a day or 2, now back to the original problem, cold rad when the rest are hot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is this a new rad? Did it ever work?
    Have there been any plumbing changes in the house recently?

You might have an airlock before this rad preventing any water getting to it. Did it get properly hot when you had all the other rads turned off or just warmer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Sounds like an airlock...
    What did in my mum's house with similar problem...

Turn off all rads, turn up the stat and heat up the system with no rads on..
    When system has been on with no rads on for a few minutes the boiler will cut out, you know at this stage the water is scalding hot..

Open the one rad that is giving trouble...
    We actually heard the air come into the rad and could bleed it out...

Best of luck..

GreeBo wrote: »
    Is this a new rad? Did it ever work?
    Have there been any plumbing changes in the house recently?

You might have an airlock before this rad preventing any water getting to it. Did it get properly hot when you had all the other rads turned off or just warmer?

its my sisters house, she not living there long!

bbam wrote: »
    Sounds like an airlock...
    What did in my mum's house with similar problem...

Turn off all rads, turn up the stat and heat up the system with no rads on..
    When system has been on with no rads on for a few minutes the boiler will cut out, you know at this stage the water is scalding hot..

Open the one rad that is giving trouble...
    We actually heard the air come into the rad and could bleed it out...

Best of luck..

this sounds good, im willing to try anythin at this stage!!

Advertisement