Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Projects are out!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

timmywex wrote: »
    Ill post it the 19th june, ie the day the marking of the projects is finished!

Thats if i remember and im sober enough!

Dont wana have it out in the public domain at the moment!

I agree. And also remember the re-checks.

EDIT: 19th of June? They won't be marked by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

ironclaw wrote: »
    A Bad idea. It will link you to your project and examiners do have the internet. Wait til September I'd say.

You mean like your project will already do if your school setup the computers to have your actual name as your username and the schools name followed by a number for the computers ID. (This is the way my school and others in my area have it set up. I don't know if that was a standard or not)

If the examiner really wants to find out who you are the information is probably already embedded in the file.

Also due to the system we have in place for examiners, They are told explicitly told not to go looking for who they are grading and frankly most do not care enough to want to. When they apply to mark the exams they have to fill out a form saying what schools they are associated with in any way and they are not given those schools to mark. It is quite a good system at mantaining neutrality for the examiners.

I might upload mine after the exams finish in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Thank god it's finished! What programme did people use to do the non-solidworks outputs? I used powerpoint after giving up on publisher. Such a god forsaken computer programme! Most in our class used publisher but most of their projects looked quite similar. A dark colour at the top fading to white at the bottom. I was glad I used powerpoint because it is really user friendly and there are loads of cool backgrounds and stuff and photo effects and textbox effects.

Everyone in my class used Microsoft Word for the non-solidworks outputs.

In most of the cases they turned out ok however some people insisted in using word art which sort of ruined the look of the project in my opinion.

I tried to keep mine basic with a professional look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Everyone in my class used PowerPoint too and we were all happy with the results. It took us all a while to get used to it though cos it was the latest version of it and we were all used to the previous XP one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

We all used Word 2007, was great, it had watermark features and all, nice textboxes, was brilliant for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

ironclaw wrote: »
    I agree. And also remember the re-checks.

EDIT: 19th of June? They won't be marked by then.

Theyre being marked from the 8th-19th june according to the timetable anyways! http://www.examinations.ie/exam/Pract_LC_EV_2009.pdf

Ah rechecks, wouldnt be overly worried about them tbh!

Jello wrote: »
    Everyone in my class used PowerPoint too and we were all happy with the results. It took us all a while to get used to it though cos it was the latest version of it and we were all used to the previous XP one.

Ya we had the same version and I have that version on my own PC so it was handy. Its a little weird to get used to alright but once you do get used to it its brilliant.

We used PagePlus, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Used Word 07 when necesarry but I did most of the writing by hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

My project has virtually no handwriting, I'm kind of wondering if that was a bad idea. Word '07 all the way through. I heard people give out a bout it but I kind of liked it.
    some people insisted in using word art which sort of ruined the look of the project in my opinion.

The word art is horrible. Some people put no thought into making the thing pleasing to the eye. One person had their text on top of their images in output 2 and you could barely read it.

Yeah, an over reliance on word art just reeks of laziness. There's no need for it anyway, simpler writing gives a lot cleaner presentation IMO.

On the handwriting thing, we were just told that if we were confident to do it work away, but no pressure. It would have to fit in with the tone of the presentation aswell, if everything is formatted on the computer then it may just stick out and make it look bad. I kind of opted for the more 'hand made' look i.e. I did pretty much it all by hand on the non SW based outputs.
    That said I don't think there is any right way to go about presenting it. If anyone puts the time and effort into it then it will show I would think.

Also did anyone have problems with getting files onto the CD's, I had a lot of trouble because of my own stupidity. I had the same part saved in a few different places because I was trying stuff out on some of them etc. but when I copied everything on to the CD my assembly was trying to reference parts the were not actually in the assembly....thats no really a good explanation...but it gave me an almighty fright as i couldn't figure out what was going wrong. Got it all sorted out in the end. Probably shoudnt have left important stuff like that till the last day though!

The only problem I had was that I had a couple of things I was trying as well, and I had renamed everything to look neater, but I had to change them all back, because solidworks couldn't find the eight file then.

Anyway, it's done, time to forget about this and think about the orals. :D

Heggy wrote: »
    The only problem I had was that I had a couple of things I was trying as well, and I had renamed everything to look neater, but I had to change them all back, because solidworks couldn't find the eight file then.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. Seems to have been a common enough problem, that is to say it happened to 3 or 4 others in my class.

But yeah orals etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Lads,
    I presume you all converted your files to pdf?

We were told specifically that the digital portfolio HAD to be presented in pdf format and no other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Lads,

We were told specifically that the digital portfolio HAD to be presented in pdf format and no other way.

Erm the brief said Jpeg was alright if the school had no access to PDF creation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

papu wrote: »
    Erm the brief said Jpeg was alright if the school had no access to PDF creation.

Yea forgot about that way too.
    Still though i'd say there will be some hassle with files not opening and files not saved properly. Would you think they'd be lenient on that sort of thing? Or will they be real harsh, as to sort of set an example for the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sheehy898

Lads,

Yeah we converted ours to pdf but most of the other dcg class in our school left them as jpeg's.

We converted all of ours to pdf as well.
    the other dcg class in our school

How big is your school, there are about 120 in our year, and 5 chose to do DCG. Small classes are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sheehy898

Heggy wrote: »
    We converted all of ours to pdf as well.

How big is your school, there are about 120 in our year, and 5 chose to do DCG. Small classes are the best.

220-230 in sixth year about 40 doing dcg.

• Advertisement

sheehy898 wrote: »
    Yeah we converted ours to pdf but most of the other dcg class in our school left them as jpeg's.
    If you look at the brief that we received for the project you will see that for this year only the project can be submitted in jpg format if the school does not have the capability to submit the project in PDF format.

All the lads who left theirs till the last day to finish just used jpegs but the rest of us had pdfs. I don't think it makes a huge difference seeing as I think they are there as a kind of contingency should something happen to your project. I mean I don't see any reason why if the corrector has the project there in front of them they are going to go looking at the exact same thing on the cd.

Also ~200 in the year, bout 16 of us doing DCG. It's a mixed school and not one girl did it for junior cert. So it was out of about 100 really.

All we did was download a PDF converter free from the internet... that was our access to PDF creation.

About 16 in my class of about 60 in LC.

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    All we did was download a PDF converter free from the internet... that was our access to PDF creation.

About 16 in my class of about 60 in LC.
    Our teacher doesnt have access to Install sofware on our pc's only the School Admin , and he wasnt around on the day we were finalising .

Our teacher doesnt have access to Install sofware on our pc's only the School Admin , and he wasnt around on the day we were finalising .

He done it on his own laptop. Downloaded it in school and we used his laptop to convert all our files after we scanned them

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ThePower180

Hey lads im a 5th year student and recently our teacher gave us the brief and told us to do the remote control for our summer test... But to be honest he hasnt told us what to do and im pretty lost already..!!

Does anyone have any useful websites or any tips..??!?They would be greatly appreciated..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Hey lads im a 5th year student and recently our teacher gave us the brief and told us to do the remote control for our summer test... But to be honest he hasnt told us what to do and im pretty lost already..!!

Does anyone have any useful websites or any tips..??!?They would be greatly appreciated..!!

First I will say that however long you think something is going to take, multiply it by 2. Just keep it simple. Look up why remotes were invented and what their function was. Look at how the original remotes with loads of buttons went to simpler designs with less buttons and now I think there are one-4-all remotes that are touch screen. Seems obvious but it is how you present the information that is the real issue, not the actual info itself.

For output 2, pick an old remote and a new remote and compare and contrast the main features. The old one might be square and blocky whereas the new one could be curvy... or the old one might have small buttons which are awkward to press whereas the new one has big, easy to press buttons. On one page have the pictures of each and write down the design features of each. On the next page, compare them with simple sketches.

Output 3 is just a detailed trace sketch of the remote.

Then you are onto solidworks which for a remote would not be too difficult imo. Just keep it fairly simple.

Output 6 is a photorealistic (you may not have to do this because you might not have been taught how to do it yet...its a real pain in the **** until you figure out how to do it properly!)

Output 7 I would just come up with a few modifications... maybe a grip for ergonomics (great reason for making a modification)... and maybe a solar panel for environmental issues or maybe a finder device like people have on their keys where you whistle and it starts beeping (cos you know how annoying it is when you cant find the remote?)

Output 8 is another 3D "sketch" highlighting your modifications. Maybe, make your sketch smaller and have detail bubble views highlighting your modifications.

Output 9 is just more solidworks again highlight your modifications in it.

Hope this helps!

Keep it simple ,
    Start Early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

so anyone wana put there projects up :D,,im gona try put mine up,,very proud altogether with my result,,A2 :D,with not a great exam

Advertisement