Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Cycling in city centre.. Gulp

Options
  • 06-11-2008 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

I'm new to cycling in Dublin, tottering around on my fake vintage bike but Dublin I swear puts the total s*&ts up me....the roads are trecherous! Whats the biggest potholes that you've ever come across??!
    I also find myself cycling contra flow to traffic instead of taking a five mile diversion just to pass 10 metres of road, Anyone got any tips for me to survive the streets, are there any cycle lanes thats arent more dangerous than the roads..any shortcuts where I can skip the worst traffic in the city centre.. Its like being in a computer game but 'game over' is death :eek:!!
    And seriously....where can I lock my bike for more than ten minutes without it getting swiped? My friend locked hers on Georges street and we returned to find it gone in only one hour, on a busy saturday! With the cycling incentive coming up dont you think the state of the roads should be dealth with first??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

if you let us know the route you are taking, we can suggest alternatives, and get into a big fight over the legality of going the wrong way up a one way street, and give out to everyone who's not around Dublin... it'll be fun!

As for locking your bike... just don't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

A lot of it is down to confidence. The only way to get that confidence is to keep at it. Don't worry, it will come. When I first cycled in the city, it used to stress me, not anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You forgot how irresponsible it is to cycle in the dark.

OP- just get a turbo trainer and commute on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Welcome to the ongoing, never solved issues of cycling in Dublin. It is Dangerous in many ways when you're not used to it.

Keeping eye contact with motorists is a good habit to take. Signal and look at them, so they know what you are doing. Look out for pedestrians, as they can be as dangerous as cars, and they usually don't give a damn about cars approcahing as they're crossing the road, so they care even less about a cyclist.

Pot holes, take it as good exercice, up the saddle!!! As for the theft issues, go for a heavy duty kryptonite lock! Or wreck your bike ...

Be safe and Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    You forgot how irresponsible it is to cycle in the dark.

OP- just get a turbo trainer and commute on that.

Oh yeah, that's true... man, remember last night, when Timmy got hit? That was nasty... the drugged up yoof in the Corsa didn't even stop!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think most people on here would agree that poor road surfaces are one of the biggest issues facing cyclists. However, painting "cycle lanes" on the road is much cheaper than fixing the roads themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

if you let us know the route you are taking, we can suggest alternatives, and get into a big fight over the legality of going the wrong way up a one way street, and give out to everyone who's not around Dublin... it'll be fun!

As for locking your bike... just don't :)

I'm going from Drumcondra to Merrion square, but often stay in Rathmines and cycle to Merrion Square from there??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

girlbiker wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips for me to survive the streets

speak softly and carry a large kryptonite.

but seriously - you'll build up a tolerance to it, dont stress. its like anything the first time you do it, you're nervous and you're worried that you'll make a mess of it, but with time and practice soon you'll be up here with the rest of us, breaking red lights, going the wrong way up one way streets, and abusing motorists for the slightest infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ChipPanBuddha

Buy a decent lock but make sure you use it properly. There's not much you can do if they really want to steal your bike but you can make it a bit more awkward which means they might pass yours by and target the bike beside it that's less secure. Might sound harsh but it's the attitude you need to take. Here's some useful tips on locking strategy. Really useful site all round this, sections for beginners and commuting
    http://sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Here's some useful tips on locking strategy. Really useful site all round this, sections for beginners and commuting
    http://sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html
    Some will object that felons might cut the rear rim and tire to remove the lock. Believe me, this just doesn't happen in the real world. First, this would be a lot of work to steal a frame without a useable rear wheel, the most expensive part of a bike, after the frame. Second, cutting the rear rim is much harder than you might think. Since the rim is under substantial compression due to the tension on the spokes, it would pinch a hacksaw blade tight as soon as it cut partway through. Then there are the wire beads of the tire, also difficult to cut.
    That sounds quite odd. Is it true? Always locked both back wheel and the "tube connecting wheel to seat tube", to the pole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cycle defensively, create space for yourself, don't worry about "death from behind" - it's "death from the side" you need to avoid.

Signal your intentions clearly but don't assume people have seen your signals.

Cycling in the city is fun, like swimming with sharks.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Lumen wrote: »
    Cycle defensively, create space for yourself, don't worry about "death from behind" - it's "death from the side" you need to avoid.

Call me old fashioned but I tend to avoid death from all directions:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Lumen wrote: »
    Cycling in the city is fun, like swimming with sharks.

Yes, I'd agree. I enjoy the city for cycling. Although to expand that simile, like swimming with Sharks you'll eventually get bitten :eek:!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

the_syco wrote: »
    That sounds quite odd. Is it true?
    In what sense? It is true that if you lock just the rear wheel in that place you cannot remove the bike without sawing through the rim, yes (just visualise.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

I'm going from Drumcondra to Merrion square, but often stay in Rathmines and cycle to Merrion Square from there??

Have a look at the DTO route planner http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I'm new to cycling in Dublin, tottering around on my fake vintage bike but Dublin I swear puts the total s*&ts up me....the roads are trecherous! Whats the biggest potholes that you've ever come across??!
    I also find myself cycling contra flow to traffic instead of taking a five mile diversion just to pass 10 metres of road, Anyone got any tips for me to survive the streets, are there any cycle lanes thats arent more dangerous than the roads..any shortcuts where I can skip the worst traffic in the city centre.. Its like being in a computer game but 'game over' is death :eek:!!
    And seriously....where can I lock my bike for more than ten minutes without it getting swiped? My friend locked hers on Georges street and we returned to find it gone in only one hour, on a busy saturday! With the cycling incentive coming up dont you think the state of the roads should be dealth with first??
    Dublin is alright for cycling. It's no Copenhagen but it's much better for cycling than most cities in Britain and France.

Avoid the potholes.

What one way streets are you referring to on your routes?

I think Dublin is safe for locking as long as you're not using a little cable lock, or just locking the wheel. I have parked my bike for years on Thomas St, sometimes only the frame and not the front wheel, and even though said wheel has a quick release bolt it has never been stolen! So your friend had bad luck or a bad locking job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Dublin city centre's pretty bad. London is the only worse city I've ever cycled in.
    Take a lane and go for it. Pretend you're a car. Buy at least a bell, or a stadium horn.

For locking, get a D lock, the smaller the better, and lock the vertical part of the frame that decends from the saddle to something damn solid. If you have enough room, lock in the back wheel. If you still have room, weave your helmet into the lock to occupy the extra space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

And having read that sheldon brown article... I agree with him, and am going to buy a smaller lock. Screw the seatpost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I found picking a good route makes all the difference. Some roads are just easier/quieter to cycle on and others just seem to have more aggressive drivers on them. If it takes you 5 minutes longer pick the best route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

Welcome to the ongoing, never solved issues of cycling in Dublin. It is Dangerous in many ways when you're not used to it.

Keeping eye contact with motorists is a good habit to take. Signal and look at them, so they know what you are doing. Look out for pedestrians, as they can be as dangerous as cars, and they usually don't give a damn about cars approcahing as they're crossing the road, so they care even less about a cyclist.

Pot holes, take it as good exercice, up the saddle!!! As for the theft issues, go for a heavy duty kryptonite lock! Or wreck your bike ...

Be safe and Enjoy!!

Pot holes are not excerise! they make my faceshake very unattractively:rolleyes:..I have to cycle through Summerhill I bet no one esle finds a road more potholes than that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Potholes and bumps in the road slow you down and contribute to wear and tear, so avoid if possible.

Since it's gotten darker, Thursday evening in Dublin is officially "moron hour". You're no allowed to drive a vehicle or walk in Dublin on a Thursday between 5pm and 7pm if you have an IQ over 80.

In fact, watch out for patterns. If you set out on your journey and you notice a few more stupid manouvers than normal, you can safely assume that the journey is going to be more dangerous than normal. I'm not sure why this is, but some days everyone on the road seems to be confused or sleepy or in a rush, all at the same.

The one big thing you can do is be predictable. Before you change a road position or go through a junction, think about who it might affect, and what you're expected to do.

And when going through a pedestrian crossing where the man is red, most pedestrians are expecting you to stop for them :) Just scream at them and watch the lemmings leap back and have a heart attack. It's fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

The only advice I have is to be confident enough to command the road space you're cycling on and watch out for the many potholes on the southbound route between Georges Street all the way down to Camden Street. Oh, and never cycle contra flow - I can't get over the number of people I see who do this, there's always another way to get where you're going and just as quickly. Plus, be conscious of the fact that pedestrians are the most unpredictable variables on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

I travel this route on my commute. It's mapped somewhere on my profile on mapmyrun and I will share with you if you want more, but this is the route I take.

If you go down Gardiner Street there is a cycle line with a broken line that is usually fairly well observed by motorists and then go around the back of the Customs House, which can be scary if you're not used to wide spaces with Bus Eireann buses crossing your path. Across the bridge on the cycle path and cross onto the right lane signalling all the way and up by Pearse Street giving plenty of space to pedestrians along by Pearse Street and this will take you around to Merrion Square.

Pearse Street is the worst I've experienced and I did hit a pedestrian who stepped out blindly. Embarassing as both of us ended up on our asses with a Dart load of people exiting on the path.

A bike that is easy to handle and allows you to get the power down is very handy for getting you by traffic or around obstacles when you need. Once you gain confidence and have respect for other people on the road it is very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Obey the traffic lights. Myself and another man got rammed by a bike as we were crossing the road at Connolly station last week. There were lots of people crossing and she then hit two other people with the front wheel as she tried to shove her way through everyone despite the light being red. About 30 minutes later, while on the bus, I saw another man hit a young girl who had begun crossing the road (again the light was red and the green man was present) and he then proceeded to shout at her for stepping out. They're just two recent examples but it's something I see daily in the city centre.

It's not just vehicular traffic you need to consider, pedestrians use the roads too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 john77

BostonB wrote: »
    I found picking a good route makes all the difference. Some roads are just easier/quieter to cycle on and others just seem to have more aggressive drivers on them. If it takes you 5 minutes longer pick the best route.

That's my approach, I don't care if I have to add another couple of miles onto my commute if it means less traffic or traffic lights. Currently using the Grand Canal towpaths instead of going down Kylemore & thru ballyfermot. It's so much more relaxing in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

seamus wrote: »
    And when going through a pedestrian crossing where the man is red, most pedestrians are expecting you to stop for them :) Just scream at them and watch the lemmings leap back and have a heart attack. It's fun.
    I loled.

=-=

As for obeying the lights, I pity the fool who decides to cycle into me when the green man is flashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

john77 wrote: »
    That's my approach, I don't care if I have to add another couple of miles onto my commute if it means less traffic or traffic lights. Currently using the Grand Canal towpaths instead of going down Kylemore & thru ballyfermot. It's so much more relaxing in comparison.

Hear, hear. I avoid the very busy traffic on the very narrow Dundrum Road & Milltown Road by cutting through St Columbanus estate and heading down the grassy bank by the Luas line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Obey the rules of the road and be cautious at all times.

I personally find Nassau St. one of the worst places for steppers-then-lookers onto the road. Cos of this, I take it slowly and watch for the likely suspects.

It's all well and good shouting at some moron (I do it at least once a week), but at the end of the day, you are the only person looking out for your safety. Staying on the bike and not hurting yourself or others is your responsibility. You can't depend on anybody else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Bump - didn't want to start a new thread but I'm just wondering what others here do when cycling up the inside of slow/stopped traffic and there are cars pulled too far over to the left. I'm sure most of these motorists would move over and provide some room if they knew I was there (well...) but where flashing leds in their mirrors don't alert them is it acceptable to knock on their car/windows in order to get a bit of space on the road?

Advertisement