Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

installing a gps tracking device..

Options
  • 06-11-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭

Already posted this in gps forum but I figure I might get a better reply in here.

Trying to install a gps tracking unit to my vehicle. Ive got four wires,

1. 12v -
    2. 12v +
    3. Accesory -
    4. Accesory +

I could rebulid you an engine but i know near to nothing about auto electrics. It looks like a relatively simple job but I just dont know how to do it. Where should will I find these power sources? Any help?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Do these things remain powered up when vehicle switched off or do they remain powered for a set time or do they simply switch off with the key?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cheers for the reply.They remain switched on constantly but a signal is sent from the unit when the ignition is started. Am I right in saying the acc connection is the first turn in the ignition?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rob316 wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply.They remain switched on constantly but a signal is sent from the unit when the ignition is started. Am I right in saying the acc connection is the first turn in the ignition?
    That's right, and the 12V+ is a permanent feed straight from the battery. You should be able to find both the 12V+ and the Accessory+ going into the car radio, and somehow splice the feed to the tracker off of them. The -ve leads are both ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great. Can I just bolt the two ground leads to the chassis together.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rob316 wrote: »
    Great. Can I just bolt the two ground leads to the chassis together.
    Yes, there might even be a convenient bolt or screw nearby you could use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Alun wrote: »
    That's right, and the 12V+ is a permanent feed straight from the battery. You should be able to find both the 12V+ and the Accessory+ going into the car radio, and somehow splice the feed to the tracker off of them. The -ve leads are both ground.

+1

If its an ISO plug at the back of the radio it makes it even easier... pop out the power ISO plug, get a pin out diagram and work out which wire is which...

Then splice onto the 2 wires using snap lock connectors....

Advertisement