Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Team -v- Imports

• 06-11-2008 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭

Don't know if something like this has been done before but what would people reckon the outcome would be if you pitted the first choice Irish team, whatever that may be in your opinion, against a team made up of the foreign players playing in Ireland?

For example, I would propose a 9 to 15 comprising of Whitaker, Contepomi, Nacewa, Mafi, Tipoki, Howlett and Warwick. The pack is a little less obvious to me but would still contain a SA prop or two, perhaps Wright, Del Fava, Melck and a certain Mr. Elsom. Any further suggestions filling out the pack most welcome.

Would the imports have a good chance of providing the Irish line up with a good game in your opinion, or would the class of the backs be let down by gaps in talent in the forwards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Ofisa at 7? Move Elsom to second row (plays there too, afaik) and swap in Diack or Jowitt to 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

1. Van Der Linde
    2. Pucciarello (no foreign hookers here at the moment)
    3. Botha
    4. Elsom (no other foreign locks)
    5. Del Fava
    6. Melck
    7. Ofisia
    8. Diack
    9. Whitaker
    10. Nacewa
    11. Nagasua
    12. Contepomi
    13. Mafi
    14. Howlett
    15. Warwick

Strong team, but I still like to think our lads would have too much for them up front..

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

Mick McCarthy is English (not Irish qualified)
    Andrew Farley is Irish qualified but is an Aussie. He's class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Imports Team:

1. Botha
    2. Le Roux (Can play hooker and is still registered in Leinster squad)
    3. Van Der Linde
    4. Del Fava
    5. Farley
    6. Elsom
    7. Melck
    8. Williams

9. Whitaker
    10. Warwick
    11. Nagasua
    12. Contepomi
    13. Tipoki
    14. Howlett
    15. Nacewa

With an extended squad of: Pucciariello, Flavin, Diack, Ofisa, Nathan, Mafi, Danielli,
    Schifcofske, Bibo

Not a bad looking side at all. It'd be close enough, they've a very good backline, I'd still think we'd take them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Imports Team:

1. Botha
    2. Le Roux (Can play hooker and is still registered in Leinster squad)
    3. Van Der Linde
    4. Del Fava
    5. Farley
    6. Elsom
    7. Melck
    8. Williams

9. Whitaker
    10. Warwick
    11. Nagasua
    12. Contepomi
    13. Tipoki
    14. Howlett
    15. Nacewa

With an extended squad of: Pucciariello, Flavin, Diack, Ofisa, Nathan, Mafi, Danielli,
    Schifcofske, Bibo

Not a bad looking side at all. It'd be close enough, they've a very good backline, I'd still think we'd take them though.

Troy Nathan? You're havin a laugh... I wouldn't even have him in the Connacht squad. Mike McCarthy would be on my sub bench though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

He had a fantastic game last night though! I was very surprised. Amazing try from the half way line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Zzippy wrote: »
    Troy Nathan? You're havin a laugh... I wouldn't even have him in the Connacht squad. Mike McCarthy would be on my sub bench though...

He wasn't really in there on merrit, I was just naming an extended squad of all the other foreign players I could think of. I probably missed a good few, but I think the first 15 is the strongest Import XV.

It would be an amazing game to see! They should do it as a charity match at the end of the season or something!

Advertisement