Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion on setting up of Irish Atheist association

Options
  • 06-11-2008 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

peeps over at atheist.ie have finally decided to make the leap to setting up a campaigning group the Irish Atheist Association

still working out the details, the format and the name but I presume its focus will be on assertive atheism and secular equality.

a real world meeting has been set for Sunday 30th November 4pm to 7pm.
    Central Hotel
    Exchequer St Dublin 2
    ( just off South Great Georges St. )

find out more here.
    http://www.atheist.ie/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=19

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Best of luck to them (us?)
    We can promote the meeting here closer to the date.

Not too sure what they hope to offer/achieve over what the HAI already does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Will this likely be a more hardline organisation than the humanists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the HAI is for humanists.

they're very mainstream and polite, and desperate to plead that too have morals,and have them written down, i don't think atheist are too bothered about that, even an atheist group would be very varied it its opinions. the humanist want to able to sit across from politicians and lobby them and be all proper and respectful of their authority, they very useful there is a place for them in the debate to do that, i don't think the humains org is place for alot of athiests. (and they offer alternates to tradtional ceremonies)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'll join, but only as long as out headquarters can be a giant dark tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

what exactly would the point of such an organisation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hmmm, I don't like the way they described it on the forum... Doesn't sound like something I'd be too keen to be a part of. A more high profile presence would be good though.

they're very mainstream and polite, and desperate to plead that too have morals,and have them written down, i don't think atheist are too bothered about that, even an atheist group would be very varied it its opinions. the humanist want to able to sit across from politicians and lobby them and be all proper and respectful of their authority, they very useful there is a place for them in the debate to do that, i don't think the humains org is place for alot of athiests. (and they offer alternates to tradtional ceremonies)
    You've just explained what the new organisation is not, and conceded that atheists are varied in opinions.

So I'm still at a loss at to what they are going to actually do.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'll join, but only as long as out headquarters can be a giant dark tower.

250px-Isengard.jpg

From looking at their forum, it is in the very early stages, doesn't look like they've even worked out what they would do as a group.
    I would have thought an air tight agenda should be decided upon first before setting up meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Herding cats" comes to mind. If they can get through one meeting without havng ten people trying to force their will/opinion on the group, I'd be impressed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

In fairness to them, the worst thing you can say about humanists is that they're too nice. Which is a complaint I'd love to hear more often, tbh.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    "Herding cats" comes to mind. If they can get through one meeting without havng ten people trying to force their will/opinion on the group, I'd be impressed :)
    They'll be alright as long as someone remembers to bring the conch.

i think the idea is yes, herding cats, we recognise this but were going to try anyway, personally i prefer it be named a secular society, which is the main aim of this anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Is it ok to go on Saturday evening if you're busy on Sunday?

Anyway if this has a political end to go after certain politically active Christians I'm all for it. Maybe we can take the bible out of Irish court rooms as well. If it's Sunday school for atheists no thanks...

Anyway it'll be good to see an internet legend in the flesh...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I can see it all now. 100 years down the line.

'Are you the atheist front of Ireland?'

'F*** off, we're the peoples atheist front. SPLITTERS'
    :)

JimiTime wrote: »
    I can see it all now. 100 years down the line.

'Are you the atheist front of Ireland?'

'F*** off, we're the peoples atheist front. SPLITTERS'
    :)

Tell that one to the lions Jesus boy...

If it keeps f8ckers like these away I'm all for it.

A secular state with equal rights for all beliefs. Religious education on a purely factual basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

studiorat wrote: »
    If it keeps f8ckers like these away I'm all for it.

Ha!
    The party as a whole scored 0.06% of the total national vote
    Losers.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Ha!

Losers.

Unfortunately I'm starting to think people like this may have some new, richer and more influential friends. Lads with airline companies and mobile phones and political discussion websites and the like...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Personally I'd join to try and make the country more secular.
    Things like reference to the most holy trinity in the constitution, angelus before the main evening news, religious parafernalia in classrooms etc is laughable in the 21st century. Just give me my confirmation money and leave me turn my back on you when I grow up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Teutorix wrote: »
    what exactly would the point of such an organisation?

Interesting blog on Pharyngula on the subject: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/11/what_is_an_atheist_community.php

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Look at this video christian voice censors Waterstones,

If chrislams can get away with this there should be a group to defend and act as a voice for the media. If they can protest we can anti-protest by supporting such people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I can see the benefit of an Irish organisation promoting secularism in the Irish constitution and all other facets of the state, however I don't think it need necessarily be atheist specific. Secular theists would be able to contribute a lot towards our common goals and any organisation with such aims should include them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

peeps over at atheist.ie have finally decided to make the leap to setting up a campaigning group the Irish Atheist Association

still working out the details, the format and the name but I presume its focus will be on assertive atheism and secular equality.

a real world meeting has been set for Sunday 30th November 4pm to 7pm.
    Central Hotel
    Exchequer St Dublin 2
    ( just off South Great Georges St. )

find out more here.
    http://www.atheist.ie/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=19

I will definately check it out and see what the craic is.
    There are far too many threads with tons of posts on the subject on atheist.ie for me to read through :o, could you give us the low down on proposed formation, structure and governance?

To be more specific, I would only want to be a member if it is incorporated as a limited company with no share capital on a non-profit basis with a clearly laid out constitution describing the processes of election and removal of directors and committees.

If there is going to be an association it must be transparent, democratic and legit. Otherwise it will give the lot of us a worse name than we already have ;-)

Zamboni wrote: »
    I will definately check it out and see what the craic is.
    There are far too many threads with tons of posts on the subject on atheist.ie for me to read through :o, could you give us the low down on proposed formation, structure and governance?

To be more specific, I would only want to be a member if it is incorporated as a limited company with no share capital on a non-profit basis with a clearly laid out constitution describing the processes of election and removal of directors and committees.

If there is going to be an association it must be transparent, democratic and legit. Otherwise it will give the lot of us a worse name than we already have ;-)

click through to aims and agenda, constitution threads...

well it will be non-profit association ( limited or by insurance) or a type of friendly society, it won't be limted company that too complicated for start up org, audits and lawyers, fees and stuff, there plenty of small association set up without that. we have worries about money but setting up company isn't justified

the humanist associaztion wasn't company for years for eg

we have some sample constitutions which will be discussed at the first meeting, the usual stuff, it be hard to know how difficult decisions will be made by vote or what seeing as there is a internet element to it, can't have only dublin people decide everything.

its all a bit up in the air till it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

well it will be non-profit association (limited or by insurance) or a type of friendly society, it won't be limted company that too complicated for start up org, audits and lawyers, fees and stuff, there plenty of small association set up without that. we have worries about money but setting up company isn't justified

Thanks for the reply LE.
    It is an admirable goal but the reason I mention the formation of a limited company is to ensure the safety of the members. If for whatever reason the Association was brought into litigation the members are not protected and liable.
    The necessity to file accounts on a yearly basis with the CRO would be a positive step as it makes the committe/directors/treasurer answerable from a legal and financial standpoint.
    My concern is that if 300 people or whatever, give 25 euro each thats a nice few bob and there has to be safeguards in place that the Association and those in its leadership must be resonsible.
    :pac: We wouldn't want the new committee taking all the membership and going on a 'research' trip to Barbados!

For example, take Athiest.ie which has a donate button. Where does the money go? Into someone pocket or are there transparent accounts that document that the donations are spent on legitmate website costs/promotion.
    I don't mean to be a nay sayer, but its best to get these things right from the outset :o

go ask on atheist.ie, yes we're well aware of the liabilities issue(see my above post) but the collective brain power and experience of the members of atheist.ie don't think a limited company is justified, at the moment its all on the good grace of catherder, (personally) i think 25e is too much, but none of that money will go in until the system is set up, , perhaps you can look into limited liability or insurance in a less then-a-company organisation to get definitive answer of whether its possible or not. as i siad i think for the moment the money and liability can be managed as an association

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

seamus wrote: »
    That's what people said about The 13 Apostles' Movement For A Better Judea. Then that one guy just took over everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

While I suppose its commendable and all that jazz setting up an organisation to further the secular agenda in Ireland.

tbh I can't help but wondering would the energies put into this endeavour not be better used supporting the existing Humanist Association(s) ?

The truth is most people don't give a doss about a secular state and its much easier to ignore multiple small lobby groups as opposed to a larger single one once the initial novelty factor wears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

In fairness to them, the worst thing you can say about humanists is that they're too nice. Which is a complaint I'd love to hear more often, tbh.

I can't see what this will achieve bar a forum for atheists to rant. The Humanists generally are a nice bunch. The magazine has plenty of anti - religious letters and articles. Some of which are quite hardcore. If they're not hardcore enough for this new grouping, I'll definetly be counting myself out of it as I can't see what an angry atheist club will achieve.

They won't achieve anything politically. The HAI are a skilled and able group. They are well tuned into how the democratic process and legislation works. The problem is they don't have enough numbers to give themselves gravitas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Humanism is not the same as atheism. Stop assuming atheists and humanists are the same. If I wanted to join a humanist organisation, I would join a humanist organisation. But that's a separate conversation.

• Advertisement

Humanism is not the same as atheism. Stop assuming atheists and humanists are the same. If I wanted to join a humanist organisation, I would join a humanist organisation. But that's a separate conversation.
    Comparisons to the HAI work in their favour, imo. And apt considering their as yet unstated "aims" are likely to be the exact same.

If we were to get technical about definitions, the whole concept of an atheist organisation is unsound.

Advertisement