Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs & drinking water ???

Options
  • 06-11-2008 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Can anyone possibly explain why my dear dog insists on drinking the mucky rain water from an empty plant pot instead of her lovely clean drinking water in her bowl??? If shes on her own inside during the day and you let her out she goes straight for the pot :confused: I thought it was just my dog until my sister said her dog does the same, any ideas why they do this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yeh mine is the same! They might like the "fresher" taste of it i.e.no flourine or whatever they put in our drinking water these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

ha ha thats gas i was minding my friends dog last week and he started drinking out of a puddle in the park and i was scared he would poisin hinself ha ha glad to know there is others out there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Mine too lovely clean bowl of water and they go for some mucky puddle in the garden. There's usually dog bowls dotted around and if it rains they will drink out of them instead of their regular water bowl.
    Our water is now filtered and although I think they prefer it to the limescale riddled water we had they still prefer the gross stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Yep, mine's the same. Puddles rule in our house and sometimes the muckier the better! :D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lemon125

Yes, it is due to the fact that the dog can smell and prob taste the Chlorine and Flouride in the tap water. Yuo cant blame them for going for the fresh rain water. What I do is collect rain water for the dog so at least its clean, I also sunk a well and have an outside tap which i also use to fill up his water bowl during the summer with lack of rain. Yuo could also go down the route of buying the 5L drum of spring water if you want!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Instinct/habit really. Animals would have previously gotten their water from streams, puddles and licking it from wet plants.

My parents' two pups are the same. They'll drink from the water bowl when they can't get out, but when you let them out, the drink from everything, even the water feature in the back garden.

Rain water and streams would contain far more "nutritious" water than what comes out of the tap, I wouldn't be too concerned with poisoning or ill health unless you know the water's been contaminated.

Advertisement