Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I cant get cable or wireless. So who now?!

Options
  • 06-11-2008 6:03pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am getting a line in with Eircom but I havent ordered BB on it yet as I would prefer to get it from someone else unless there has been a miraculous turn around in performance (and given that its taking 2 weeks to activate me and they are charging me setup/activation costs when its blatantly obvious that the previous tenant had eircom in here before me).

So, now the next thing is getting ADSL on it... Once I have the line in then I have to release it to another provider or something?? After that they can provision me with broadband?

Who is generally the best for ADSL supply? Am I going about this the right way?

DeV.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

DeVore wrote: »
    I am getting a line in with Eircom but I havent ordered BB on it yet as I would prefer to get it from someone else unless there has been a miraculous turn around in performance (and given that its taking 2 weeks to activate me and they are charging me setup/activation costs when its blatantly obvious that the previous tenant had eircom in here before me).

So, now the next thing is getting ADSL on it... Once I have the line in then I have to release it to another provider or something?? After that they can provision me with broadband?

Who is generally the best for ADSL supply? Am I going about this the right way?

DeV.

Is your area LLU'd, so that non-Eircom resellers are available?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, I'm in Rathmines. Apparently most of them are available here.

DeV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Check out smart, they'd be one of the best dsl providers. Their support on their forums is pretty good and prices/speeds are quite competitive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Check out smart, they'd be one of the best dsl providers. Their support on their forums is pretty good and prices/speeds are quite competitive.

+1
    Then the Smart is usually the best choice. Could be pricy, but the connectivity and service are the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Spear wrote: »
    +1
    Then the Smart is usually the best choice. Could be pricy, but the connectivity and service are the best.

Also no cap and 1:1 contention.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This morning Eircom rang me and told me I could have the install on the 17th of Nov, (wooo, only another two weeks). I missed the call and they left me a message. I called back and the person on the other end told me they would have to "amend my order" which would set me back to the 21st (10 working days) at the earliest.

Great.

So, I had a look at Smart and they have a nice 24mb line offer and if its 1:1 contention, I'm there baby. I just wonder if I'll have broadband by xmas.

By the way, I told a Maltese mate of mine about this and he was disgusted. It takes 4 days from start to finish on their island. :rolleyes:

DeV.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

24Mb is the max you can get. You will get less than that, how much less will depend on your line/distance from the exchange etc. Still though smart are pretty helpful on their forum and if you find you're speeds aren't great ask about it there, they usually take a look at your settings and see if they can tweek it a bit for you.

And yeah, eircom are pretty bad at this sort of thing. You'd swear they didn't want your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's a strange one. If there is an eircom line there, that was previously active, then it should be very simple and quick for them to reactivate it. The cost for this is about 25 euro, and takes no more than 24 hours. It sounds like you're getting a whole new line installed though, which you wouldn't need if there's on there.

If you connect a phone to the existing line, there should be a dial tone. Dial 199000 and it'll tell you the number for the line. If you don't get anything, then it wasn't previously active. Dial 1901 on that line, and you should get eircom sales. They can have the line activated very quickly.

After that, definitely get Smart if it's available. You can check the number that 199000 gives you on the Smart website first too.

They were able to tell me what my phone number there was over the phone. I got the distinct impression the guy was on commission and trying to bag a few extra quid tbh as he suddenly mumbled something about "last days of free installation offer" and then told me I wouldnt have to pay it.

I'm nearly 3 weeks waiting now.

DeV.

"We're sorry but it appears Smart Broadband is not currently available in your area. (RATHMINES exchange)"

Is that true?! Thats not good news.....

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

"We're sorry but it appears Smart Broadband is not currently available in your area. (RATHMINES exchange)"

Is that true?! Thats not good news.....

DeV.

that is sadly true...sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's hard to take Smart's residential LLU rollout seriously when they don't have the likes of Swords, Malahide, Rathmines, Terenure and Dundrum enabled. Those 5 which are non-Smart off the top of my head would cover well over 60,000 people in Dublin.

I believe the only LLU provider in Rathmines is Magnet, and they don't seem to want residential customers any more.. I suggest you try regardless, as I hear they've good service.

And UPC's network round there is something akin to wet string. I have the displeasure of seeing how crappy their analogue Band 1 and Band 3 channels are, every day. Does anyone have a clue when they're going to replace that shambles of a network in D6?

If you can't get Digiweb Metro or Irish Broadband (and I do see lots of antennae for them all around Rathmines) then I think it's a case of waiting for the useless shower of cretins to pull the finger out:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What is it with Dublin? Of all towns and cities it should be the most hooked up and yet there seems to be holes all over the place.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Mike you are 100% correct - a modern knowledge economy such as Ireland should have vibrant competition and 100% broadband availability.... little is being done to encourage this though which is totally and completely unacceptable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

crawler wrote: »
    Mike you are 100% correct - a modern knowledge economy such as Ireland should have vibrant competition and 100% broadband availability.... little is being done to encourage this though which is totally and completely unacceptable.

Knowledge economy indeed! The survey of foreign firms located in Ireland reported in the Indo on Sunday and Mondqy in which almost half of them stated that they would not locate here again made depressing reading. Poor infrastructure and bb in particular were mentioned - and haven't EBay and Google bosses already made reference to the poor state of bb in Ireland?

Nobody cares apparently other than boardsies! It would be a good piece of Keynisan economic investment to spend some money now on major bb investment.

Advertisement