Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa 09 League (serious edition!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭sparky360

Man Utd
    Chelsea
    Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

You left my name out from the list. Its Knackerdwarf. I'll take ANY team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭cadogs

Count me in...gamertag is Mordant Shaun. Ill take Valencia if available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

I think you should raffle for the teams that most people pick.Like a number between 1-10.Then everyone else picks second choice and raffle the same ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If theirs still any room I'll take Bayern, Fiorentina or Napoli. Bubs180

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

ifs there room still or throw me in the 2nd league..eh Arsneal, newcastle (there good),Valencia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

I'd like to join if there's still room - R0nBurgundee

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Because my XBOX is on its way to Germany to get the RROD problem sorted out, I wont be able to set up the league until I get a loan of my brother console in a few days.

In the meantime, heres the list of players...

LIST OF CONFIRMED PLAYERS
    1) FutureGuy
    2) Jerichoholic
    3) Mr Moon
    4) Y2J_MUFC
    5) Moiph
    6) King Nothing
    7) Wandatowell
    8) Mister Robinson
    9) Sparky360
    10) RainyFace
    11) BennyC
    12) Reganovski
    13) Batesy
    14) Skippy65
    15) Garball
    16) Gaz15
    17) VinylJunkie
    18) M83
    19) Cadogs
    20) Bubs
    21) Soby
    22) Mika27
    23) Brianon
    24) Stevoman

I have received a number of suggestions from you guys regarding the team selection. I think the vast majority of players have chosen the same 2-3 teams as their preferred team. Also, many of you have asked to revert to a first-come-first served system. What I may do is post the password here on Friday evening at a certain time, and players can choose their team right then and there.

Since this is the first league, I'm going to use this to test the waters and to iron out any flaws in the system. So, here is the set-up.

-Players will play each other once, which means about 20 games each.
    -Each game will be 7-minutes per half.
    -Next season will have 2 leagues so this league should be one big promotion/relegation battle all season :)

-At the end of each game, you can post your results on the results thread, along with goalscorer information. At the end, we'll have the golden boot award :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Because my XBOX is on its way to Germany to get the RROD problem sorted out, I wont be able to set up the league until I get a loan of my brother console in a few days.

In the meantime, heres the list of players...

LIST OF CONFIRMED PLAYERS
    1) FutureGuy
    2) Jerichoholic
    3) Mr Moon
    4) Y2J_MUFC
    5) Moiph
    6) King Nothing
    7) Wandatowell
    8) Mister Robinson
    9) Sparky360
    10) RainyFace
    11) BennyC
    12) Reganovski
    13) Batesy
    14) Skippy65
    15) Garball
    16) Gaz15
    17) VinylJunkie
    18) M83
    19) Cadogs
    20) Bubs
    21) Soby
    22) Mika27

I have received a number of suggestions from you guys regarding the team selection. I think the vast majority of players have chosen the same 2-3 teams as their preferred team. Also, many of you have asked to revert to a first-come-first served system. What I may do is post the password here on Friday evening at a certain time, and players can choose their team right then and there.

Since this is the first league, I'm going to use this to test the waters and to iron out any flaws in the system. So, here is the set-up.

-Players will play each other once, which means about 20 games each.
    -Each game will be 7-minutes per half.
    -Next season will have 2 leagues so this league should be one big promotion/relegation battle all season :)

-At the end of each game, you can post your results on the results thread, along with goalscorer information. At the end, we'll have the golden boot award :)

I'd be very interested if there is still room : "brianonPS3"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

id be interested too if there is room.

tag - stevo port

team - spurs

• Advertisement

It's looking more like were going to have to go with 2 leagues from the start. Great complaint to have :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

FutureGuy wrote: »
    It's looking more like were going to have to go with 2 leagues from the start. Great complaint to have :)

Yeah i agree and it will probally be better!

How are you going to deal with players who are not playing their games as from experience in other leagues you barely get people on-lin to play against.

Good question VJ. I made it pretty clear in the first post that players shouldn't sign up if they have no intention of finishing the league. Even if you lose your first 10 and you have no hope of winning, I would expect that everyone respects each other enough to finish it out.

This is a league for players who are tired of half completed leagues full of players. And if a player doesn't complete their games, they wont be invited to the next league :) And that is where the fun will be :) I have plans :D

People should be able to get 3 games in per week. By setting a max of 3 games per week, it gives the league a nice pace to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

looking for either

1. Arsenal

2. A.C. Milan

or

3. Benfica

(have a sneaking feeling im gonna get lumbered with benfica)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I personally dont mind who I get but maybe for all the people joining late, it'd be more fair to raffle teams? If there's 22 in the league, pick 22 of the best teams in Fifa. Then raffle them off. Maybe allow countries to ensure there's a large amount of quality teams to fulfill the demand? Maybe allow people to swap teams once with each other before the league starts if they're unhappy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I would be happy with you setting a time and PM the password then us taking teams from that point.

my three are
    Liverpool
    Atletico Madrid
    Sligo Rovers
    Valencia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I do like the idea of getting there first to pick your team. I think it will work better and is more fair to be honest. Will that mean you'll have to check who has what team when you sign up or say if you pick Barca will the game tell you if someone has already picked them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

what if people are working when the time is up? Not so fair. I'd be happy with the op to randomly pick teams himself. It's not that big a deal for me anyway.

Right, 24 players have signed up which is a great start!

As I said before, most people have asked for the same 3-4 teams with only a few exceptions. This means that few people are going to get a team they wanted.

I'm going to have a think about it tonight and we'll go from there. I'm leaning towards getting a list of the top 24 club teams and randomly distributing them between the players. If players want to swap teams between themselves or choose another club team that is not on the list (write-in), then they can take that team instead. This way, everyone will get a decent team.

If anyone is home today and has some free time, can a list of the best 24 club teams be posted here? I'm sure there are more than 24 teams rated higher than 4.5 stars? Another idea would be to make teams unique per league (if we go down the 2-league road from the start).

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Rainyface

Might be a stupid question so I'm being prepared to be shot down...

Could you not give everyone the same team???? People can mess around with formations and stuff themselves.

• Advertisement

If everyone wants to pick whatever team they want, meaning a league comprised of Manchester United, Chelseas and Inters, then that is what we will do. What is the consensus on this?

But a league full of the same team isn't too realistic. Maybe when cloning is allowed in football :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Rainyface

Agreed - but at least it comes down to the talent of the people playing instead if the skill level of the teams etc.

Thats me fecked so...:D

Rainyface wrote: »
    Agreed - but at least it comes down to the talent of the people playing instead if the skill level of the teams etc.

Thats me fecked so...:D

Why not allow people to select 4 star teams (and lower) only ?

Plenty to choos from and would make for some interesting battles. Also would stop eveyone from playing as the boringly good teams like Man U, Inter etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

brianon wrote: »
    Why not allow people to select 4 star teams (and lower) only ?

Plenty to choos from and would make for some interesting battles. Also would stop eveyone from playing as the boringly good teams like Man U, Inter etc...

I was in a FIFA 08 league last year with that rule and it worked really well. Some people weren't happy but hey not everyone is going to be.

Well all I know is (actually I know more) is that I normally don't enjoy playing against Barca/Man U etc.. Mostly because 80% of the games I play end up against either Man U/Barca/Inter or Liverpool. Its gets old quick.

EDIT: I just realised this is the XBOX and nott he PS3 forum ! oooops. I have Fifa for PS3. COunt me out I'm afraid. But my suggestion still stands :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Suggestion:
    Lets leave out United, Barca, Chelsea, Inter, AC Milan.

Lets have the top 24 sides apart from the 5 listed above. I mean, someone playing as the sides ranked towards the bottom (even mid) of the top 24 (eg: ....Boca?) will have a huge disadvantage against a 5 star side.

I can whip up a little piece of code that will randomly assign teams to players and I can post the results back here. If its random, it'll be fair(er).

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Suggestion:

Lets have the top 24 sides apart from the 5 listed above. I mean, someone playing as the sides ranked towards the bottom (even mid) of the top 24 (eg: ....Boca?) will have a huge disadvantage against a 5 star side.

I can whip up a little piece of code that will randomly assign teams to players and I can post the results back here. If its random, it'll be fair(er).

Totally agree with this +1 from me. Plus i love Java :D.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Why don't we all play as 1 star teams :p

I don't really mind who I get but I'm used to playing as Utd as that's who I support, not my fault there so damn good!!! :D

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Suggestion:

I agree with the point about the differences in teams. However, there is still a big difference between the best of whats left (say Arsenal) and the lesser teams.

I'm beginning to heavily favour letting everyone just pick whatever team they want (and are used to), even if we end up with multiples of the same teams. When we think about it, it's not a league to determine the best team, but the best player of Fifa 09.

I'll run this league as best I can and I am looking at what works and what doesn't work so the next league is even better :)

Everyone seems happy to have a dogfight this time around to see who gets promoted to the Boards Premier Leage next season :)

• Advertisement

Mr Moon wrote: »
    I don't really mind who I get but I'm used to playing as Utd as that's who I support, not my fault there so damn good!!! :D

My team (Shelbourne) are not in the game, i suppose that is the only disadvantage of supporting a local league. ;)

Advertisement