Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa 09 League (serious edition!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Skippy65

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Suggestion:
    Lets leave out United, Barca, Chelsea, Inter, AC Milan.

Lets have the top 24 sides apart from the 5 listed above. I mean, someone playing as the sides ranked towards the bottom (even mid) of the top 24 (eg: ....Boca?) will have a huge disadvantage against a 5 star side.

I can whip up a little piece of code that will randomly assign teams to players and I can post the results back here. If its random, it'll be fair(er).

I think this is the best solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I'd like to join this.

But am I correct in seeing that there are 24 teams in there at the moment? I don't want to cause an odd number of teams so I don't mind waiting until someone drops out or someone else wants to join.

As for the picking teams idea, 4 star and lower sounds best imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I wouldnt be for letting everyone pick whatever team they want, cos having multiple Man United's and Inter's etc sounds a bit silly. I think everyone should have a different team. Compiling a list of the top 24 clubs with 4 and a half or 5 star ratings sounds best to me. And then randomly assign them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Why do we have to pick random teams. I have picked up 5 star scalps using Napoli and Udinese (without Live season) so if we were playing 4 star teams I'd like one I actually use, not like there's a shortage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

I like the idea of taking the top 4 teams out and random assign the rest each season.

Or do something similar to the draft system in the American sports where last place this season gets first choice next season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

It would be stupid have multiples of the same team playing.

If its done randomly it'll be alot more fairer and fun too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I have no problem with a league made up from Man U, Barca Chelsea AC Milan, its about who is the best player and not what team is. Whatever way it is picked there are going to be top teams. Why not do it this way and after the first league is over then rank players according to ability and let the weaker players get first choice next time round.
    By weaker players I mean those who still finish the league with all games played and not sitting on the bottom cause they dont play a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Why Dosent everyone pick a league they want to have a team from..i.e. Premierleague, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1,LFP ..And exclude the top 4 from each.Then future guy picks random teams and gives to the players who want to play a team from their selected league

That way were not picking a team but a league that we would prefer to have a team from. Cuts out the top 4 and we are not all playing the same team then.Gives plenty of selection and a a more fun league to play in. Rather than having 20 Man united's,2 Chelski's and 2 Pool's

Its a better solution than picking our own or fighting over one team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Why Dosent everyone pick a league they want to have a team from..i.e. Premierleague, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1,LFP ..And exclude the top 4 from each.Then future guy picks random teams and gives to the players who want to play a team from their selected league

That way were not picking a team but a league that we would prefer to have a team from. Cuts out the top 4 and we are not all playing the same team then.Gives plenty of selection and a a more fun league to play in. Rather than having 20 Man united's,2 Chelski's and 2 Pool's

Its a better solution than picking our own or fighting over one team.

Another option, keep em coming...once we finish this league, we will have a better idea of how to approach next league (Boards Premiership and Boards Championship)

Since I'm waiting for my XBox to return from Germany, I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to play my games :(

bennyc wrote: »
    I have no problem with a league made up from Man U, Barca Chelsea AC Milan, its about who is the best player and not what team is. Whatever way it is picked there are going to be top teams. Why not do it this way and after the first league is over then rank players according to ability and let the weaker players get first choice next time round.
    By weaker players I mean those who still finish the league with all games played and not sitting on the bottom cause they dont play a match.

This is my plan too :) if there was a way to rank players now, I'd go for this straight away!

• Advertisement

OK what about this for a solution...

This season, we run one league. Everyone plays everyone else once. Players can pick any team they want, and teams are not unique. This means the league standings are based on your skill as a player, rather than the team you were given at the start. The top 12 players form the Boards Premiership and the bottom 12 players form the Boards Championship.

Next season, we have the aforementioned 2-league system. The weakest players get first choice (teams are now unique) so the strongest players get a slight handicap from the start thus creating a much more balanced league system. 4 get relegated from Premiership and 4 get promoted from Championship.

Finally, I will be setting up a lifetime award system where your lifetime performances in this league are added together...more details on this soon, but it will reward your overall achievements.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    OK what about this for a solution...

This season, we run one league. Everyone plays everyone else once. Players can pick any team they want, and teams are not unique. This means the league standings are based on your skill as a player, rather than the team you were given at the start. The top 12 players form the Boards Premiership and the bottom 12 players form the Boards Championship.

Next season, we have the aforementioned 2-league system. The weakest players get first choice (teams are now unique) so the strongest players get a slight handicap from the start thus creating a much more balanced league system. 4 get relegated from Premiership and 4 get promoted from Championship.

Finally, I will be setting up a lifetime award system where your lifetime performances in this league are added together...more details on this soon, but it will reward your overall achievements.

Sounds good, Now just get your xbox fixed so we can start playing :p

I'll get a loan of an xbox tomorrow and will set it all up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

is it too late to join this?

I have FIFA 09 on its way in the post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

great suggestion future guy.. I so can't wait for this! Should be fun telling game stories here too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

yeah i agree with leaving out man utd, barcelona, chelsea and inter. i have noticed on online play that those teams are virtually impossible to play against as the nearly all the players just have too much pace and skill and if you are a spurs man like myself you already lost 9 times out of 10 purely on a teams skill level.

i vote 4.5 star teams or lower, or just leave out those four teams,they really have a monopoly on the game!

at 24 teams though thats 46 matches that could really drag on! what about player just playing each others once?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Rainyface

Or go champions league style with group stages and then knockouts

Sorry futureguy - are we getting too complicated now?

I agree with maybe only playing each other once though!

Rainyface wrote: »
    Or go champions league style with group stages and then knockouts

Sorry futureguy - are we getting too complicated now?

I agree with maybe only playing each other once though!

no, you're fine...all comments welcome. I stated in an earlier post that we will only be playing each other once so it will be about 24 games spread over 6-8 weeks. It may be best to have 4 games per week over 6 weeks so we can get it wrapped up before christmas, when ebveryone is going to be too tired/hungover/drunk to play :D

I'l just pick a format tonight, announce it tomorrow and we can get going on the league starting Friday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Sounds good FutureGuy, I think you've found a system that incorporates everyones suggestions. I especially like the bottom teams get first pick next season rule, that will keep things interesting and hopefully encourage people to continue til the end of the season.

I mentioned that in a previous post about last place getting first choice next season but what if somebody decides near the end of the current season to throw games just to get a first pick next season.

It has to be said im not saying anyone would do it i certainly wouldn't.

• Advertisement

I have already thought about this and I don't think it will be a problem for 2 reasons (hopefully).

1) By introducing a lifelime points system, I'm hoping to encourage people to do their very best during every game.

2) By throwing a few games towards the end, I don't think it will make a massive difference to your team next year.

I will say that if any player is found to be showing poor sportsmanship over the course of the league, they will not be invited to play next year. That includes intentionally disconnecting, collusion of any kind, and throwing games.

Having said that, I don't think we will have any such problems as boards.ie members are better than such behavior :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I do take your point that even leaving out the teams I mentioned, theres still a difference between Le'Arse and the 24th ranked team, but my thinking was that, even if your a poor player, if your one of the sides I mentioned, you have a very good chance of winning.

I've beaten Liverpool and Arsenal with midplaced Spanish sides, or with Boca...so that gap there is bridgeable, but if your playing Boca against Inter you might aswell go outside, check for a strong south-westerly wind, face north easterly, unzip your pants and start pissing.

I dunno, but a league of United vs Uniteds and Chelsea vs Uniteds is no different to how it normally is online. Seems like it would get a little boring and repetitive... I can see people not wanting to finish it...

I still think my idea is pretty decent :o People can then pull out if they dont like their team so we know we're only going to have committed players and the games won't get stale or repetitive.

Whatever is more popular I guess. Could do a poll maybe?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I have already thought about this and I don't think it will be a problem for 2 reasons (hopefully).

1) By introducing a lifelime points system, I'm hoping to encourage people to do their very best during every game.

2) By throwing a few games towards the end, I don't think it will make a massive difference to your team next year.

That should solve it ;)

Really looking forward to it now in some ways getting you xbox repaired has help iron out a few teething problems the league might encounter.

btw, You should make up a final list of players names at some point and maybe a list for late comers who will stand in if someone wants to quit!

What about two 12 team leagues from the start playing one game each 3-4 times a week 6 promotion and 6 relegation. That way the realism is there from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Skippy65

Cant wait for this to start! I think futureguys idea of a league of 24 with everyone facing each other once is the best way to go initially.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Whatever is more popular I guess. Could do a poll maybe?

+1 For a poll.It might be a fairer idea to vote for what you want.That way you cant complain if something you did not like was picked without your voice being herd

I'm going to be playing a few games now so if anyone fancies a few pre-season games add me!!

Seany834

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

FutureGuy I think the idea of the top 12 forming the Premier League and bottom 12 forming the Championship next season is the best option yet, sounds good!

Ok, look for an announcement around 4 pm today regarding the league. I'll be stating the official format, the rules and lots of other pieces of information.

I guaranteed that this is going to be a good league, but if everyone does what they say and finsih all their games, then it's going to be a great league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Can I still join the league please?

• Advertisement

Octavarin
    CKWPORT
    Moz

I have all 3 of you on standby. I am not sure what the maximum league size is but I think its 25. If it is, then I think I'll have to leave it at 24. If its higher, then I'll get back to ye. I'd prefer to have an even number of teams so Moz, I'm hoping another person enters the league as you are no 27.

Advertisement