Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa 09 League (serious edition!)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

keen wrote: »
    Is there a set limit as to how many times members can play against each other?

Haven't created a league myself so don't know how it works. Do we play each member twice?

For this league, we are playing each other just once. Thats 27 games. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think 4 games a week is sound. I need to get the practice in before next weeks games anyways...

I think it be great to have a fixtures list though for each week, its probably loads of trouble to do but i think it would be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

FutureGuy wrote: »
    This is just my opinion, but if we allow people to play as many as they like, you will find people many people will have played their 27 games within 2 weeks and many people will just not bother playing their games because of this.

There are a number of people that still haven't played a game. By limiting it to 4 games per week, it will allow the tension to build as we hit the final 2 weeks. And those 2 weeks, where everyone is scrapping for every point to get into the Premiership, are going to be filled with nerveracking, tense games. Exactly what people want from a league.

Excellent points, you have it all worked out :)

CKWPORT wrote: »
    I think 4 games a week is sound. I need to get the practice in before next weeks games anyways...

I think it be great to have a fixtures list though for each week, its probably loads of trouble to do but i think it would be worth it.

that is the play from week 3 onwards. The first 2 weeks are designed to let everyone get to know each other, invite to games and get some games under the belt. However, it also allows me to see how serious everyone is regarding fulfilling their fixtures.

Week 2 will be the same as this week. Play your 4 games. I need everyone to have played exactly 8 games by the end of week 2. Then fixtures will be posted and it's up to everyone to arrange a date and time with each other. Otherwise, we will be left at the end with the people that cant play as much all trying to find times that suit each other...and that's when it could get messy.

At the end of Week 1, the league table will be posted here in a nice format, so everyone can see where they stand.

It would make my job alot easier if people can post the following information here...info is for GW 1 only, so only your first 4 games count...

Played Won Draw Lost Goals For Goals Against Points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Sounds good, you really do have it all thought out!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i thought there was just one of each team on it so i picked spurs. now im up against about 10 man utd teams. thats a killer as my team is clearly inferior on xbox skill levels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I thought the same, so I'm stuck with Arsenal. Also just got murdered by The Dunne.

Team Selection:
    Players are limited to selecting CLUB TEAMS. No national sides are allowed. Players have become accustomed to playing certain club teams, and in order to determine the skill of each player for the purpose of determining rank for subsequent seasons, players can choose whichever club team they wish. Therefore, results will be based on skill and knowledge of the game, and not what team you were assigned to at the start of the league.

From next season onwards, however, team selection will be based on your final standing from season 1 and teams will be unique. This will add balance to all subsequent leagues.

I posted this earlier as part of the official rules, but I guess I should have highlighted the part saying you can choose whichever team you wish. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

To be honest, it's really ****e. I have played 3 games, 3 Man Utd's. Every single player on Man Utd's team and probably bench is better than mine. The chance of me playing 20 Man Utd's is slim to none at this stage.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    To be honest, it's really ****e. I have played 3 games, 3 Man Utd's. Every single player on Man Utd's team and probably bench is better than mine. The chance of me playing 20 Man Utd's is slim to none at this stage.

To be fair Bubs, I did state in the rules and asked everyone to commit to playing all their games before you joined. I also stated that everyone can pick any team they liked. So I really cannot see what you are not calling the league ****e.

Also, I have played 5 games, all against different teams. So it's hardly 20 Manchester United.

• Advertisement

To be fair Bubs, I did state in the rules and asked everyone to commit to playing all their games before you joined. I also stated that everyone can pick any team they liked.

still, how many dudes picked United?

I don't play my Xbox as a chore, I play for fun. Playing Manchester United 20 times isn't fun

still, how many dudes picked United?

I don't play my Xbox as a chore, I play for fun. Playing Manchester United 20 times isn't fun

If people picked United (as they did Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Udinese, Barcelona, Inter, AC etc) then that was their choice as laid out in the rules for THIS season alone. You had the same choice. This first league is to determine each players ability with their favourite team, so that next year, the worst players get first choice, thus handicapping the very best players-a much more balanced system. Next year, all teams are unique. How fair would have been to give someone the 27th best team and ask them to play, without any idea of their prior skill level.

How fair would have been to give someone the 27th best team and ask them to play, without any idea of their prior skill level.

Would have been fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

I joined boards league instead of boards season 1, what's the password I've tried boards and board.

Here are the details...best of luck everyone!!! Let the league begin!

League name Boards Season 1
    Abbreviation BQL
    Password: qualify

FIXTURES
    To get things off to a great start, I'm allowing people to play whomever they wish for their first 4 games!!! This will get some results on the boards tonight!!! Remember...only play 4 games between now and next Friday!

Post all results and reports on the new thread on the Xbox forum!

Right here Keen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Right here Keen!

My bad, nice one.

Would have been fun.

For whom? they guys that get the lucky picks? What about the people that are new to Fifa...they get landed with a 3.5 star team and are asked to slog through 27 games where they get beaten 9-0?

Not being smart Bubs, if you didn't agree with the rules, you shouldn't have joined. It's impossible to design a format that suits everyone, and the whole outline for this and subsequent seasons suited the mosty people. As I said, I've played 5 different teams in 5 different games.

keen wrote: »
    My bad, nice one.

No problem, hope you enjoy!

For whom? they guys that get the lucky picks? What about the people that are new to Fifa...they get landed with a 3.5 star team and are asked to slog through 27 games where they get beaten 9-0?

Not being smart Bubs, if you didn't agree with the rules, you shouldn't have joined. It's impossible to design a format that suits everyone, and the whole outline for this and subsequent seasons suited the mosty people. As I said, I've played 5 different teams in 5 different games.

For most people. Speaking for myself, I don't particularly want to play the same team over and over and over and over again.You say you've played 5 different teams well then you must have been very very lucky. Today I have been challenged 6 times. 5 times by Man Utd. I played Man Utd once yesterday. Got so annoyed with my third Man Utd match I forfeited.

Now it doesn't help that my defence is slow but for me, the main attraction of leagues is knowing that you aren't just going to have to play the big teams that always crop up when quick matching it but the situation I'm in is once Ronaldo gets the ball it's more or less game over 20 times in a row.I'll stay in because the second season with unique teams sounds good but I can't believe that you think playing Man Utd over and over again would have been better than unique teams.

Edit: to answer your question which I just saw now, I picked Udinese.
    if you didn't agree with the rules
    TBH, this is my fault because I didn't bother reading them. I'm just venting

I think I may be lucky that I had 5 different teams, and you were equally unlucky to have so many Uniteds. And fair play to you for going against the grain and picking Udinese. You already won a game, so you have to be a pretty good player! I have United as my team and I'm not much good, so just because you see your opponent is United, it doesn't mean you are up against top opposition :P

Honestly, my ideal league has all unique teams too, and that is what I wanted to do from the start, but it seemed fairer to let people get rated before we go ahead with the Premiership and Championships, where we WILL have unique teams...I actually cant wait to get this league over so we can all get a set team, have top goal scorer charts etc etc, but I can't see a better way to sort players out based on skill. If there was, and I missed it, then I apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Can we also make a rule where, if you accept someone's invite to play.... you DON'T decide to leave, full stop.

Spent ages inviting people earlier... the only guy who joined quit after like 10 secs before we even choose the jerseys.

Thats fairly frustrating. I don't mind if you don't or can't accept an invite. If you aren't going to play, then don't accept the invite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

It'll be a lot better when there are set fixtures.

I got 2 invites to play a league game today while I was in the middle of playing someone else in the league.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

Spent ages inviting people earlier... the only guy who joined quit after like 10 secs before we even choose the jerseys.

That was me. Saw you were Man Utd and left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭cadogs

You're a great man to have in the league so if that's your attitude!!:confused:

cadogs wrote: »
    You're a great man to have in the league so if that's your attitude!!:confused:

I got two invites at the same time. Had played Man Utd twice in a row. Went to the first one knowing that if it was Man Utd i'd check the second one. Both were Man Utd and I played the second. Don't really see a massive problem

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Garball

i was beatin you 3-0 and you ran off like a little girl bubs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I am going to be away this weekend and some of next week so I'm trying to get my 8 played this week!!

Oh and deliverance xxv is the player to beat!! He is a really good defender, I couldn't get near the goals beside from his one mistake which i hit the post with!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Mr Moon wrote: »
    I am going to be away this weekend and some of next week so I'm trying to get my 8 played this week!!

Oh and deliverance xxv is the player to beat!! He is a really good defender, I couldn't get near the goals beside from his one mistake which i hit the post with!!!!

Good game m8! I thought it was a very very tight game with cracking battles in the midfield. I pride myself on my defending but sometimes I just make some stupid mistakes that cost me games or silly needless goals. When you hit the post my heart was in my mouth and I was shaking for about 2 minutes after it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Taking the whiz, right? I thought my gamertag would be a bit of a giveaway as to which team I was playing as. (RichieMUFC).

In fairness, you don't see why that is annoying - when I spend 10 mins trying to get a game, you accept and then leave?

If you don't like playing against United, I think you are in the wrong league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

To be fair to him, playing against Man U all the time is a little annoying, and a bit of a chore. I'm in the same boat, I'm not going to win a game at this rate.

Advertisement