Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recording from tape to mp3

• 06-11-2008 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

heres a question for anyone with knowledge of Audacity, or similar software.

I'm recording from tape to mp3 via the line out from my stereo to my pc line in.
    the sounds coming in fine and its pretty much the same as whats on the tape, but i want to clean it up a bit.
    eg. one of the tapes is a recording of a wedding.
    you can hear mostly the shuffling and coughing of my grand aunt and the people beside her, but the actual ceremony is a bit muffled.

can anyone suggest a way to make it less muffled?
    i know theres loads of filters available for audacity, but i dont know which ones would be the best...

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

You could try noise reduction to get rid of tape hiss etc, but if it's just general background noise you'll have a very hard time getting rid of it - in fact it's almost impossible. Is it a speech you're trying to retrieve? How bad is the recording/loud is the backgroud noise?

Noise reduction will only get you so much on audacity aswell, it may make the recording sound a bit tinny aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

the recording is off the wedding ceremony.

cheers, ill give the noise reduction a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

It's a hard to get thing to get right. If noise reduction is used incorrectly your recording will sound very 'tinny'.

Best of luck with it anyway. :)

Advertisement